Topics

ubitx v6 Nano Port Not Recognized by Arduino Software on Windows 10 #arduino #firmware #v6 #ubitxv6


Bruce KE0YMM
 

I'd like to update the firmware on my v6.  I've tried the fixes from Message 7006 but they don't work on my Windows 10 machine.  Has anyone succeeded in getting Arduino to recognize the port?


Many thanks,
Bruce KE0YMM


Arv Evans
 

Have you installed the CH340 driver on Windows-10?  It is pre-installed on Linux but you may need to install it on Windows PCs.

_-_

On Thu, Mar 4, 2021, 5:59 PM Bruce KE0YMM <bruce.feldman@...> wrote:
I'd like to update the firmware on my v6.  I've tried the fixes from Message 7006 but they don't work on my Windows 10 machine.  Has anyone succeeded in getting Arduino to recognize the port?


Many thanks,
Bruce KE0YMM


Owen Vinall
 

Bring up Control panel  then Device Manager.  Click on Comm ports. This gives a reliable view of the status of all com ports. Then plug in your Usb cable to both your Pc and your Arduino. Listen for any Windows sounds and watch to see if a Com port is displayed on your Device Manager screen. A yellow ! Usually means a Device driver issue as previously mentioned. If no sounds or no additional  com port are detected try another usb port. If still no change try another cable. Next reboot and start again from the top suggestion. Also try another Device on your Usb ports as a further  test.


On Fri, 5 Mar 2021, 12:09 pm Arv Evans, <arvid.evans@...> wrote:
Have you installed the CH340 driver on Windows-10?  It is pre-installed on Linux but you may need to install it on Windows PCs.

_-_

On Thu, Mar 4, 2021, 5:59 PM Bruce KE0YMM <bruce.feldman@...> wrote:
I'd like to update the firmware on my v6.  I've tried the fixes from Message 7006 but they don't work on my Windows 10 machine.  Has anyone succeeded in getting Arduino to recognize the port?


Many thanks,
Bruce KE0YMM


Paul G8KIG
 

I suggest you try a different cable too. Recently I was using two ESP 8266 modules. Only one worked with the first cable I tried but both worked with the second.


Evan Hand
 

On Thu, Mar 4, 2021 at 06:59 PM, Bruce KE0YMM wrote:
I'd like to update the firmware on my v6.  I've tried the fixes from Message 7006 but they don't work on my Windows 10 machine.  Has anyone succeeded in getting Arduino to recognize the port?
Bruce,
Does the µBITX Nano show up in Windows Device  Manager in the Ports (Com & LPT) list?  If not, then as others have stated it could be a cable, a driver, or also a Nano issue.




If the CH340 port does show up, then it could be that you do not have the board and processor set up correctly in the Arduino IDE.


Also, there is a video by Ashhar Farhan that goes through the steps for updating a v6 µBITX:
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n_V3prSJ_E

Let us know if that works.
73
Evan
AC9TU


Bruce KE0YMM
 

You guys nailed it!  It didn't like the cable for some reason.  As soon as I switched it out the ports came up. 
I had installed the CH340 driver, fooled with the device manager, and studied Ashhar's video, but it just turned out to be the cable.  Mission accomplished.
You guys are awesome.  Many thanks for the generous help!!

Bruce KE0YMM


Arv Evans
 

Bruce, and others...

The USB cable issue comes up fairly frequently.  I wonder if it would be
useful to design and build a "cable tester" that performs a continuity test
on the two power leads and the same test on the two data leads. 
Thinking that a 9V battery,resistors, LEDs, USB sockets, and a chassis
might do the job. 

Of course just an ohmmeter test would do the same thing.

Arv
_._


On Fri, Mar 5, 2021 at 8:11 AM Bruce KE0YMM <bruce.feldman@...> wrote:
You guys nailed it!  It didn't like the cable for some reason.  As soon as I switched it out the ports came up. 
I had installed the CH340 driver, fooled with the device manager, and studied Ashhar's video, but it just turned out to be the cable.  Mission accomplished.
You guys are awesome.  Many thanks for the generous help!!

Bruce KE0YMM


Evan Hand
 

Arv,
Testing a cable is a very good idea.  My simple solution is to have a known good Nano that I keep as a spare, and use it with a suspect cable.  If it does not connect and cannot load the blink program, then it is bad.

73
Evan
AC9TU


Gary Anderson
 

It's usually a mechanical problem on the plug/socket interconnect on the mini USB side (provided you are using a data cable and not a charging cable:)
This tracks with the Nano/cable pair, so don't overlook this aspect in your cable testing.
Gary