uBITX v6 Microphone #microphone #v6 #ubitxv6-help

Aaron K5ATG

Hey everyone, it's been a bit. Still stuck in bed and it is truly driving me crazy. Got a microphone question about choosing a microphone for the uBITX v6.
On my previous v6 I had a PROCOMM PSM4PM CB RADIO POWER HAND MICROPHONE 4 PIN FOR COBRA UNIDEN that i modified for my uBITX v6. Now I do not remember where I got the instructions on modifying it.
This time round I would like to have a traditional type microphone and PTT switch. Has anyone come up with a mic that works with the uBITX?
What I mean by a traditional type microphone that looks like this:

I'm not sure of the different types like condensor and electrict just mainly something that will work with the uBITX v6

Right now I am adrift in an endless ocean of pain with some prescription medication so I'm not really sure if I am making any sense.

--
'72
Aaron K5ATG

Curt

Aaron

You are making sense. The ubitx is designed for an electret microphone. This is the easiest type to use. Traditional older microphones are dynamic, different principle and it requires added circuitry to function. Read the wiki article on electret. I am thinking everything in my shack is electret. Got a powered desk mike, ten tec. My favorite now is a PC headset, wired up adapters to use it with 2 of my rigs. I use a foot switch, music store type a LA amazon for PTT.

I don't know if you can find an electret in that traditional form, maybe.

With my v4 ubitx I still use an old HT speaker mike which does well in my case, no amplifier or speech processor yet.

If you don't want to mod your ubitx stick with electret.

Curt

Aaron K5ATG

I have an old XLR microphone. Its body of it is in good shape. Could I get an electret microphone element and redo the workings of it?

--
'72
Aaron K5ATG

Jim Strohm

Sure, it'll work fine. Pick an electret mic type that Ashhar has
blessed, and adjust the mic wiring appropriately.

I think you can put the DC voltage onto the "hot" audio lead of the
3-wire XLR interface.

I've never tried it but I happen to have a rather nice XLR mic and
audio processing unit that came in a station purchase, and when I prep
my Heath DX-100 for operation, I'll definitely use this mic when I'm
not using one of my Astatic D-104s with a new electret element.

I'd mention -- back in the day I made a 5-pin DIN mic switchbox so I
could test and use all the old CB mics I'd collected over the years on
my Atlas 210X. Being able to switch mics on the fly was fun, and it
sometimes confused toe ham on the other end of the QSO.

73
Jim N6OTQ

Don, ND6T

Aaron,
Here is a link to some of what I have done: http://www.nd6t.com/qrp/Microphone%20Conversion.htm
Even a carbon microphone will work (but it will sound like a carbon microphone ;-) )! A little experimentation will pay off.
Get healthy again soon.
72, Don

Doug W

On Thu, Dec 1, 2022 at 07:14 AM, Don, ND6T wrote:
Here is a link to some of what I have done: http://www.nd6t.com/qrp/Microphone%20Conversion.htm
Don's work and drawings always impress me.  If he were to publish a coffee table book with all of his drawings I would buy it in a heartbeat!

I went more chainsaw than scalpel...

--
www.bitxmap.com

barry halterman

Love your art work!

Sent from Mail for Windows

On Thu, Dec 1, 2022 at 07:14 AM, Don, ND6T wrote:

Here is a link to some of what I have done: http://www.nd6t.com/qrp/Microphone%20Conversion.htm

Don's work and drawings always impress me.  If he were to publish a coffee table book with all of his drawings I would buy it in a heartbeat!

I went more chainsaw than scalpel...

--
www.bitxmap.com

Aaron K5ATG