Topics

Ubitx v6.1 cat control

Michael Golden <pldnmayor@...>
 

Hey everyone

#ubitx-help

I am trying to setup cat control with my ubitx v6.1 and I can see the com port but WSJT-x can’t get data from it and UBITX manager can’t read from it either.  Any thoughts are appreciated

 

I haven't been able to get my ubitx 6.2 with Reed's FW working with WSJT-x v2.2.1, though
it does work with FT-817 Commander.   I haven't tried UBITX manager. I started setting up a
serial protocol analyzer, but then the day job wanted attention.  Maybe in another week or
two I'll have time to dig back into it.

I'd use FT-817 Commander to verify your port settings are correct before digging deeper.
If you can't get that working, maybe it's driver problems with the serial port pr a bad USB cable.
There are posts in the archives that a web search should turn up.

John
K6JDS

On 6/29/2020 10:34 AM, Michael Golden wrote:
Hey everyone

#ubitx-help

I am trying to setup cat control with my ubitx v6.1 and I can see the com port but WSJT-x can’t get data from it and UBITX manager can’t read from it either.  Any thoughts are appreciated


howard winwood G4GPF
 

I think this may be due to problems on the reset line of the nano. It should be documented so do a Google search as there are a number of solutions, depending on what will be best for you.


On Mon, 29 Jun 2020, 20:05 John Sutter, <jds@...> wrote:
I haven't been able to get my ubitx 6.2 with Reed's FW working with WSJT-x v2.2.1, though
it does work with FT-817 Commander.   I haven't tried UBITX manager. I started setting up a
serial protocol analyzer, but then the day job wanted attention.  Maybe in another week or
two I'll have time to dig back into it.

I'd use FT-817 Commander to verify your port settings are correct before digging deeper.
If you can't get that working, maybe it's driver problems with the serial port pr a bad USB cable.
There are posts in the archives that a web search should turn up.

John
K6JDS

On 6/29/2020 10:34 AM, Michael Golden wrote:
Hey everyone

#ubitx-help

I am trying to setup cat control with my ubitx v6.1 and I can see the com port but WSJT-x can’t get data from it and UBITX manager can’t read from it either.  Any thoughts are appreciated


Evan Hand
 

Michael,
I had issues with the FT-817 radio selection with my v5 uBITX.  I tried the Yeasu FT-857 radio with 38400 baud, 8 data bits, 2 stop bits, None for the handshake, PTT CAT, Mode USB, and None for Split.  That has worked for me.  The thing I have found to be the issue most of the time is the baud rate. The CH340 chip does not seem to work above 38400.

As far as I know, the CAT interface is the same for v5 as well as v6.  Also, I believe that HF Signals is still using the same Nano with the CH340G chip.

I would give the above a try.
73
Evan
AC9TU

Reed N
 

I'm running R1.5.0, and it works on WSJT-X no problem for me. Here's a screenshot of my settings:


I've also used R1.5.0 with fldigi. I've attached the XML file (FT-817.xml) to this message, and here's a screenshot of my settings:


Your COM ports may vary, but with these settings, I'm able to use both programs via CAT. Here's a short video of me demonstrating that I can control the radio from each program, as well as have changes on the radio reflected on the programs: https://youtu.be/LkVwPr9ZumA


Reed

Michael Golden
 

Evan hand, success!!! Thank you, that worked like a charm!


From: BITX20@groups.io <BITX20@groups.io> on behalf of Reed N <greenkid336600+groupsio@...>
Sent: Wednesday, July 1, 2020 2:05:25 AM
To: BITX20@groups.io <BITX20@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [BITX20] Ubitx v6.1 cat control
 
I'm running R1.5.0, and it works on WSJT-X no problem for me. Here's a screenshot of my settings:


I've also used R1.5.0 with fldigi. I've attached the XML file (FT-817.xml) to this message, and here's a screenshot of my settings:


Your COM ports may vary, but with these settings, I'm able to use both programs via CAT. Here's a short video of me demonstrating that I can control the radio from each program, as well as have changes on the radio reflected on the programs: https://youtu.be/LkVwPr9ZumA


Reed

barry halterman
 

Question on ubitx audio via cat. This is going to sound stupid but how do you get audio out from the computer when running ft5 or wspr? I have messed with this and I can not get the computer to output sound from the radio. I am thinking that I need to put a Y  or splitter cable between the computer and radio ...then drive both a speaker and computer input at the same time.
Barry

On Wed, Jul 1, 2020, 3:25 PM Michael Golden <pldnmayor@...> wrote:
Evan hand, success!!! Thank you, that worked like a charm!


From: BITX20@groups.io <BITX20@groups.io> on behalf of Reed N <greenkid336600+groupsio@...>
Sent: Wednesday, July 1, 2020 2:05:25 AM
To: BITX20@groups.io <BITX20@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [BITX20] Ubitx v6.1 cat control
 
I'm running R1.5.0, and it works on WSJT-X no problem for me. Here's a screenshot of my settings:


I've also used R1.5.0 with fldigi. I've attached the XML file (FT-817.xml) to this message, and here's a screenshot of my settings:


Your COM ports may vary, but with these settings, I'm able to use both programs via CAT. Here's a short video of me demonstrating that I can control the radio from each program, as well as have changes on the radio reflected on the programs: https://youtu.be/LkVwPr9ZumA


Reed

Evan Hand
 

Look up VAC (Virtual Audio Cable).  There is a free version that allows output to both the speakers and the USB dongle that you would use to connect audio to the uBITX.  It acts like a Y cable in software.  I used it to connect WSJT-X to a Quisk that was linked to a Hermes Light 2 (HL2) SDR radio. 

Just an idea to try.
73
Evan
AC9TU

Dean Souleles
 

Barry - 
You don't need anything fancy. 

If your computer has a headphone and mic outputs you take the headphone out from the computer and connect it directly to the mic input of uBitX.   Then take the headphone output of the uBitX and connect it to the mic input of your computer.   Just watch the levels - both volume out on the uBitx and speaker volume on the PC so that you don't over-drive either one.  In WSJTX settings you select the microphone input and and headphone output.   If you don't have the correct jacks on the PC you can get an inexpensive sound card usb dongle with mic and phone jack -
 https://www.amazon.com/s?k=usb+sound+dongle&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

73,
Dean
KK4DAS

Dean Souleles
 

Barry - 

I re-read your question and I may have misunderstood what you are asking.  Are you saying you want to be able to hear the FT8 signals as well as send them to the computer?  If so, then yes, a Y connector / splitter should work.

For my part - the last thing I want to hear is the digital signals!

Dean

Bill Cromwell
 

Hi,

It may help avoid QRMing a QSO in progress if we can hear those. With the digital modes we can *see* on the waterfall or in the spectral display where other QSOs may be. Even if they are too weak to hear. It also helps that these newfangled modes are all piled up together in a small section of the dial. I am a CW guy with maybe a little RTTY thrown in. I can use the sound as well as the waterfall to help find other signals. I they are digital signals I have a switch to turn the sound *off*. I also sometimes can hear other signals that do not show on the waterfall or spectral display. Not having the sound available is depriving you a tool that can help you be a good neighbor.

73,

Bill KU8H

bark less - wag more

On 7/2/20 9:39 AM, Dean Souleles wrote:
Barry -
I re-read your question and I may have misunderstood what you are asking.  Are you saying you want to be able to hear the FT8 signals as well as send them to the computer?  If so, then yes, a Y connector / splitter should work.
For my part - the last thing I want to hear is the digital signals!
Dean