Topics

uBITX v5 Finished #3d_printing #calibration #v5

Doug Hall

I hesitate to say that it's actually finished, as I keep thinking of stuff to add to the hardware and firmware. But the cover is on and I'm making QSOs. Previously I had only used it on CW, but I 3D printed a mic case and got it wired up and my first SSB QSO was with S51DX. I'm pleased with how well the little radio hears. I'm sitting here listening to G0EVY on 40M SSB and he's just booming in. I haven't yet installed the AGC board so the static crashes are pretty harsh. It kinda reminds me of my old Heath HW-16 in that regard.

I calibrated the frequency against a 10 MHz GPSDO. Then, based on advice of some folks here, I used a PC audio spectrum analyzer program (Spectrum Lab by DL4YHF) to adjust the BFO frequency. That worked a treat, and I'm really happy with the way the audio sounds now.

It's just a very pleasing little radio.

73,
Doug K4DSP

Bob KB1TEK

Hi Doug,

Did you design the microphone case yourself?  It looks great!

Could you point me to the models or more info?  I'm not yet great at 3D design.

Thanks and 73,
Bob KB1TEK

Doug Hall

Bob,

I didn't design the mic case - I got it from Thingiverse:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3044144

It uses the mic element and microswitch that were included in the uBITX kit. I printed it with black filament and then rubbed some white paint into the front to give it some "character." I'm not sure I succeeded on that front, but the mic works fine.

I also printed the uBITX case from here:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2823172
but I only used the front and rear panels. I designed my own middle section to add mounting holes and a baffle for an internal speaker. For that design I used FreeCAD.

73,
Doug K4DSP

Bob KB1TEK

Thanks, Doug!  I had seen the case before, but not the mic.

73,
Bob