Topics

uBITX v5 Calibration Using Test Equipment #calibration #v5

Doug Hall

Hi all,
I just got my v5 board wired up and working. I'm using KD8CEC v1.2 firmware and things seem to be working pretty well. I have an AGC board to install but haven't gotten around to it. My first QSO from here in NC was with CE2LR on 20M CW. Haven't measured power output, haven't really measured anything other than current draw.

Instructions for doing the BFO calibration for SSB and CW seemed a bit vague, and given that I have some decent test equipment (spectrum analyzer w/tracking generator, VNA, scope, etc.) I was wondering if there was a more "exact" way to do the alignment for those who have the test equipment. I have not studied the schematic yet, so I guess that's next. But if someone else has already figured out a procedure for alignment using test equipment I'd sure appreciate hearing about it.

Meanwhile I'm really enjoying the radio.

73,
Doug K4DSP

Adrian Chadd

I did mine by using an audio spectrum analyser and a noise source (ie,
my QTH.) Once I had tuned the VFO up "enough" using my test kit and
frequency counter I calibrated the BFO oscillator by looking at the
spectrum on the audio output and attempted to keep the noise in a
300->2300KHz passband. You will see the noise passband move as you
change the BFO calibration.

Then I re-checked the VFO calibration again against WWV and everything
sounded OK.

-adrian
(kk6vqk)