Topics

uBITX Rasperry Pi 0

Mark Erbaugh

I know next to nothing about it, but would it be possible to use a Raspberry Pi Zero as a controller for a uBITX style radio? I looked at the Pi Zero pinout and there appear to be an adequate number of I/O pins as well as support for SPI and I2C. Having 512 MB of RAM and virtually unlimited SD Card storage, at $5 (USD) it looks like an alternative to the Arduino's or Teensy's.

73,
Mark, N8ME

gector

Definitely. I don't know how you'd get one for $5, but it would make a very extensible controller. You could have wireless CAT controls, probably run a better display, and do some digital signal processing. Could probably show a waterfall AND run the radio. One of the best benefits would be linux development instead of using the Arduino IDE, there are a ton of standard and very useful C and C++ libraries available on linux. I'm sure there would be hurdles, but you could do a lot with that processor.

Jerry Gaffke

Here's a Pi-Zero for $5:    https://www.adafruit.com/product/2885
Looks ideal.

As demonstrated by the recent thread here about the Nano Every:
    https://groups.io/g/BITX20/message/85303
there is some work involved in porting code to a different processor.

The Nano Every board is far closer to our Nano CH340 clones than the Arm processor
found on the Raspberry Pi Zero.
However, it shouldn't be that tough.
In fact, there are Arduino compatible libraries available for the Raspberry Pi,
so this port will mostly be a matter of dealing with the usual differences in hardware
around timers and interrupts.

Jerry, KE7ER

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 01:03 PM, gector wrote:
Definitely. I don't know how you'd get one for $5, but it would make a very extensible controller. You could have wireless CAT controls, probably run a better display, and do some digital signal processing. Could probably show a waterfall AND run the radio. One of the best benefits would be linux development instead of using the Arduino IDE, there are a ton of standard and very useful C and C++ libraries available on linux. I'm sure there would be hurdles, but you could do a lot with that processor.

Mark Erbaugh

I spent the day trying to access my Raspberry Pi Zero via SSH over USB with no luck. It seems Windows 10 doesn't like RNDIS / Ethernet Gadget.

FWIW, the $5 Pi Zero doesn't have wireless, you need to spend $9 for a Pi Zero W.

73,
Mark, N8ME

Ricardo Suarez

You can attach a enc28j60 and enable true ethernet port on raspberry pi zero

Rick LU9DA

El 15/1/2021 a las 00:20, Mark Erbaugh escribió:
I spent the day trying to access my Raspberry Pi Zero via SSH over USB with no luck. It seems Windows 10 doesn't like RNDIS / Ethernet Gadget.

FWIW, the $5 Pi Zero doesn't have wireless, you need to spend $9 for a Pi Zero W.

73,
Mark, N8ME

Doug W

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 06:20 PM, Mark Erbaugh wrote:
It seems Windows 10 doesn't like RNDIS / Ethernet Gadget.
I think for windows to see the Pi over USB you need to install Apple bonjour.

--
www.bitxmap.com

Mark Erbaugh

Bonjour is installed and working.  All the online info I've found online indicates that the Pi Zero should create a RNDIS USB / Ethernet gadget, but it looks like Windows has removed the drivers. Some of the posts mention alternate drivers, but I can't get any of these to work with current Windows 10.

73,
Mark, N8ME

Mark Erbaugh

That may work, but I would prefer to not have to add additional hardware.

73,
Mark, N8ME

Mark Erbaugh

Update:

I've been able to SSH to my Pi 0 on both Linux and Mac, but still no luck with Windows 10.

73,
Mark, N8ME

Paul G8KIG

The Raspberry PI Ethernet gadget is exceptionally sensitive to the quality of the USB cable used.
The wire in many USB cables is too think causing voltage drop.
I have just tested it on Window 10 and mine is still working well.

Jonathan Magee

You could use a  Raspberry Pi Zero for this but I am not convinced that is the best option. It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish.  The Raspberry Pi is basically like a normal computer so you have an operating system running and your software is running on top of the OS.  This does mean that you can do a lot of different things with the PI but there are more things that can go wrong.  If you are looking just to have the same functionality that currently exists in the uBITX then you are better off going for something like  the Arduino's or Teensy's. Less to go wrong.  If you wanted to do something like say running WSJTX and controlling the uBITX all on the same board then I might consider a PI (disclaimer I don't know if the PI Zero is powerful enough to run WSJTX, it is just an example) . Even at that I would tend towards splitting the functionality out across two boards.

73
Jonathan, GI7KMC

On Thu, 14 Jan 2021 at 01:03, Mark Erbaugh <mark.election@...> wrote:
I know next to nothing about it, but would it be possible to use a Raspberry Pi Zero as a controller for a uBITX style radio? I looked at the Pi Zero pinout and there appear to be an adequate number of I/O pins as well as support for SPI and I2C. Having 512 MB of RAM and virtually unlimited SD Card storage, at $5 (USD) it looks like an alternative to the Arduino's or Teensy's.

73,
Mark, N8ME

Gerard

Ashhar Farhan

The rpi lacks analog ports. It, never the less, has immense possibilities.

On Fri 15 Jan, 2021, 4:23 PM Gerard, <kabupos@...> wrote:
Hello,

i hve found that
uBITX with Raspberry pi (LCD Mode) - YouTube

cdt

Mark Erbaugh

With the V6, isn't the only use of an analog input is for the keyer input? Couldn't that could be handled using two digital inputs?

73,
Mark, N8ME

Mark Erbaugh

That was another approach I considered, using the stock Arduino to control the radio but provide an enhanced CAT interface and connecting the Pi over CAT.

73,
Mark, N8ME

Mark Erbaugh

Interesting.  I found that the RPi / cable worked fine with both Linux and Mac, but not Windows.

73,
Mark, N8ME

gector

I know on the schematic that all of the analog pins are used on the Nano in the v6, so more than just a keyer would probably be a good idea... It would be possible to add a cheap ADC to the pi without much trouble and it would probably come in handy for more than just the keyer input.

Jerry Gaffke

The uBitx v6 documents don't show how the control harness is wired up (it should!),
I assume there are some pullups to +5v on the pins to PTT, encoder.
The resistors for the keyer pin is at A6 are especially critical (and weird),
they are apparently no longer documented anywhere for any version of the uBitx.

What's more, the build instructions for v3, v4, v5 have disappeared,
so we can't use that to see what is going on in that control harness (assuming it hasn't changed).
It seems the only way to figure this out now without digging at your hardware is the source code for the Nano.

Perhaps I am wrong, nobody is complaining about this?

The only reason the uBitx uses an analog pin for the keyer is because it ran out of digital pins.
You are much better off using two digital input pins if you have them, to detect dot and dash paddles.

Nano pins A6 and A7 are analog inputs only, A7 is not used.
Nano pins A0 through A5 can be digital input/output or analog inputs, they are all used as digital pins.

The Nano has 5v digital IO.
If you move to a 3.3v device such as the RPi-Zero, some adjustments need to be made.

Jerry, KE7ER

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 08:31 AM, gector wrote:

I know on the schematic that all of the analog pins are used on the Nano in the v6, so more than just a keyer would probably be a good idea... It would be possible to add a cheap ADC to the pi without much trouble and it would probably come in handy for more than just the keyer input.

Will B

The Wayback Machine has some captures of hfsignals from 2017 onward.  I found this on one of the earlier captures:

https://web.archive.org/web/20171217111554/http://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/ubitx-wire-up/

Jerry Gaffke

Will,

Yes, the Wayback Machine saves the day.
And I believe what it shows for the 8 pin control harness is correct,
including the 4.7k pullup to 5v on the keyer analog pin.

But that stuff should be up on hfsignals.com
For all versions.

I previously wrote:
>  I assume there are some pullups to +5v on the pins to PTT, encoder.

Those pullups are internal to the nano, enabled in firmware.

Jerry, KE7ER