Topics

uBITX pin width

Kit Peters

How wide are the pins on the Raduino that mate with the main board? I'm trying to work up a proper(ish) ribbon cable as my makeshift cable isn't performing well.

Kit Peters, W0KEH
GPG public key fingerpint: D4FF AA62 AFEA 83D6 CC98 ACE5 6FAE 7E74 7F56 ED1D
Hello to any and all NSA, DEA, or other government or non-government agents reading this email.  Tell me about your life; I'll tell you about mine.

Reed N

The pins should be standard 0.1 inch headers.

Reed

Evan Hand

Kit,
I would be careful about the length of the ribbon cable.  The output of the Si5351 clocks already has some cross-talk on them.  Extending the connection between the Raduino and the mainboard can potentially add birdies, or reduce sensitivity as the LO to the mixers could be impacted.  You can try it, just be looking for these type of issues if the operation is not as expected.

If the run is too long, you may want to try coax for the 3 clock signals.
73
Evan
AC9TU

Kit Peters

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Are you suggesting separate coax runs for each of the clock signals?

What if I were to run the ribbon between the display and the Raduino, rather than between the main board and the Raduino?

--

On Fri, Oct 23, 2020 at 11:12 AM, Kit Peters wrote:
What if I were to run the ribbon between the display and the Raduino, rather than between the main board and the Raduino?
That would be a better option in my opinion, especially if you keep the Raduino between the display and the mainboard to provide some shielding.  The potential issue then is to provide support for the Raduino if you are going to move it a lot.   I did not do the mounts, however, all of the uBITX are for use at my shack.

I remember someone offering mounting brackets to support the Raduino.  I would look at the files section to see if the 3d printer files are there, or if there is someone who is selling them.

Again, just my 2 cents.
73
Evan
AC9TU

Kit Peters

Well, if the Raduino is mated to the main board, there's no need to move it around a lot. The only thing that should be moving around is the display.

By way of explanation, I've moved my uBITX into a Harbor Freight plastic ammo can. 😁

On Fri, Oct 23, 2020, 11:19 Evan Hand <elhandjr@...> wrote:
On Fri, Oct 23, 2020 at 11:12 AM, Kit Peters wrote:
What if I were to run the ribbon between the display and the Raduino, rather than between the main board and the Raduino?
That would be a better option in my opinion, especially if you keep the Raduino between the display and the mainboard to provide some shielding.  The potential issue then is to provide support for the Raduino if you are going to move it a lot.   I did not do the mounts, however, all of the uBITX are for use at my shack.

I remember someone offering mounting brackets to support the Raduino.  I would look at the files section to see if the 3d printer files are there, or if there is someone who is selling them.

Again, just my 2 cents.
73
Evan
AC9TU

Ian Reeve

I have used ribbon cable in audio circuits and had unacceptable crosstalk at audio frequencies.It's worth a try and you could wrap the ribbon into a cylinder like a lot of the more expensive computer hard drive ribbon cables.

[...]

I apologize for not being clear.  I mean if you are moving the entire radio, as in going backpacking with it, then support for the Raduino inside the radio would be a good idea.  For normal use in the shack, it would not be needed.

73
Evan
AC9TU

Kit Peters

Oh, well, in that case the radio would be moving around, as I intend to use this both in the shack and for POTA