Topics

uBitx not receiving well on CWU or CWL

Mike Kilpatrick

my uBitx is receiving and transmitting very well on SSB.

I can receive CW signals very well in USB or LSB mode.  But when I select CWU or CWL mode signals drop right off and are barely audible.

I have V5 board and CEC firmware.

Any my suggestions would be really appreciated please.

Sam Tedesco

Mike Kilpatrick

Thanks for that Sam.
Mine is not a frequency offset issue. I have used memory manager as described in that link.
My problem is that the Rx seems to become almost dead or deaf when I switch to CWL or CWU mode.
CW stations which are really strong in SSB mode pretty much disappear in CWL mode even when tuning Rx freq.
Most likely I haven’t go my head around the set up properly but I’m baffled. 73 Mike VK2DJP

On 26 Jun 2019, at 03:33, Sam Tedesco <stedesco619@...> wrote:

John (vk2eta)

Hello Mike,

In CEC firmware the CW BFO can be set differently to the SSB BFO.

See the menu item "Set CW RX BFO" in the rig's settings.

It may be way off.

Cheers, John (VK2ETA)

Balasubramanyan Cp

OM John, Thanks. THANKS to John again.
73s

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 11:58 PM John (vk2eta) <vk2eta@...> wrote:
Hello Mike,

In CEC firmware the CW BFO can be set differently to the SSB BFO.

See the menu item "Set CW RX BFO" in the rig's settings.

It may be way off.

Cheers, John (VK2ETA)

Mike Kilpatrick

Thanks John VK2ETA and everyone else.
Of course! So obvious really.
Just a case of an old timer not being able to see the wood because of the trees!
All fine now the CW Rx BFO has been tweaked.
This radio is a great learning experience for me and a real credit to Ashar, Ian and all you very helpful people on this forum.
Ham radio being what it should be, great stuff!

On 26 Jun 2019, at 09:14, Balasubramanyan Cp <bsnvu2yc73s@...> wrote:

OM John, Thanks. THANKS to John again.
73s

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 11:58 PM John (vk2eta) <vk2eta@...> wrote:
Hello Mike,

In CEC firmware the CW BFO can be set differently to the SSB BFO.

See the menu item "Set CW RX BFO" in the rig's settings.

It may be way off.

Cheers, John (VK2ETA)

derek (G4VWI)

Hi Mike and others. What is the best way to calibrate CW RX BFO using the KD8CEC firmware.

There appears to be little written about this elsewhere so I was wondering how successful you were in sorting out receive in CWU and CWL by tweaking the CW RX BFO settings? How close did you get to sharpening up the reception of CW signals using the CWU and CWL modes in the KD8CEC firmware?

Did you use a signal generator or CW signal on a known frequency, or did you just tune to a strong CW signal and tweak for best audio? What have others done to obtain the best results?

Best wishes.
Derek G4VWI.

Mike Kilpatrick

Hello Derek,

I’m no expert but here’s what got me out of trouble when helped by others:

We have a CW practise station here in VK-land  which transmits constantly on 3.599 MHz so I tuned to this and tweaked the CW BFO setting on the uBitx whilst listening. It worked fine for me. I guess any CW station will do the trick.   My setting ended up at 11.055.105 which might put you in the ballpark.

To have ubitx display the same Tx & Rx freq on CWL or CWL open uBitx Memory Manager.  Connect to uBitx. Read from uBitx. Then check the “Enabled Adjust CW Tx Frequency” and  “Shift Display Frequency on CWL, CWU Mode” boxes.  Leave the “CW Freq Adjust Value” at zero.

Hope this helps.

Mike   VK2DJP

Hi Mike and others. What is the best way to calibrate CW RX BFO using the KD8CEC firmware.

There appears to be little written about this elsewhere so I was wondering how successful you were in sorting out receive in CWU and CWL by tweaking the CW RX BFO settings? How close did you get to sharpening up the reception of CW signals using the CWU and CWL modes in the KD8CEC firmware?

Did you use a signal generator or CW signal on a known frequency, or did you just tune to a strong CW signal and tweak for best audio? What have others done to obtain the best results?

Best wishes.
Derek G4VWI.

derek (G4VWI)

Hi Mike.

Many thanks for your response.

Quite a few special event stations on 40mtrs today with frequencies logged on the cluster.
I have adjusted the CW RX BFO settings and there is no difference (other than a frequency display change of 700Hz) to the tone received when changing from LSB to CWL. Your setting of 11.055.105 put me in the right ball park. Thanks.
The signals are nicely peaked using my narrow 700Hz CW filter now and this matches signals on the main Icom rig now.
For others setting this don't forget to press PTT momentarily to save your settings!

73 Derek G4VWI.