Topics

uBITX Newbie

Daniel Flanagan

Hello All,

I recently finished putting together a V5 kit that I received as a
Christmas gift. It works nicely except for one issue that I haven't
been able to resolve so far. The issue is that I get no audio out of
the speaker. I get plenty of audio from the headphone jack, enough to
drive a small speaker. I've traced the problem to the audio I/O board
on the front panel. It shows a dead short across the speaker
connection on the board. I've inspected the board, but have not found
the cause. All of the jacks on the board work OK. This isn't a
biggie, just wanted to let you know.

Before I built the kit I spent many hours digging on the web for more
information. The supplied instructions were pretty bare bones lacking
some important detail for a newbie. I found all that I needed but it
took a lot of time and was scattered around the web. For instance
when I first powered the v5 up the display lit up but showed nothing.
I finally figured out the pot on the LCD board needed adjustment.

The next step is to upgrade the firmware, but I'm not going to mess up
a working radio in the process. I find it difficult to find compiled
hex files. Is there a repository for these somewhere that I haven't
found it yet? I want to practice this first knowing nothing about
Arduino. I going to buy an Arduino nano and play with it. Will I be
able to program it powered up and standalone? Or will I need more
stuff connected to it?

Any info will be much appreciated.

73, Dan (W3DF)

I am a newbie to Arduino.

Evan Hand

To answer your last question, yes, the Nano can be powered from your computer USB port provided it can supply the current.  In some cases for older laptops, you may need a powered hub.  The recommended power is 5 volts at 1.5 amps, however I have used a standard .5 amp supply from a laptop.  A laptop with a newer USB 3 will provide all of the power needed.  In fact, I have powered the entire Raduino board and display from the Nano miniUSB port connected to my laptop with USB 3 connections.  (key to remember this point, as when doing the calibrations, you need to unplug the USB from the laptop to do a full power reset.  Figured this out when using the KD8CEC Memory Manager.  The calibration data was not being changed, as it needed a power cycle reset to use the new data.)

When you order the Nano clone, be sure to get one with the header pins separate, as the v5 and older Raduino has the Nano on "upside down" from standard Nano pins.  I do not have a v6, so cannot comment on the correct orientation of the Nano on those boards.

Last point: when you program a new Nano and then insert into the Raduino, all of the calibration data is lost.  This is due to the cal data being stored in the EEProm memory (where the boot loader is stored), vs the normal program/data storage section of the Nano. I have found that I need to first calibrate the BFO using the HF Signals web page (https://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/bfo-tuning-aid/ .  Then do the master calibration process.  Be careful of the stock v5 software, as the master calibration process will put the uBitx in transmit mode at 10 MHz.  You will need a dummy load for that step.  The older versions of the HFSignals and the KD8CEC software uses a "zero beat" process in receive mode to set the master clock.

Note: you need a device with a microphone or the alignment bars and graph will not show or you will get and error.

If you are going to go with an alternate Nano, I would also look into the alternate programs provided by KD8CEC at HamsKey.com.  I use his software with Nextion displays.  Gives all and more of the new v6 graphic display for the older boards,.

Have fun with your new rig!
73
Evan
AC9TU

Richard Spohn

Dan and all on the group, if you are not familiar with the Arduino,
point your browser to :

http://www.arduino.cc

You will learn al sorts of information about the Arduino family,
including the Nano used in the HFSignals radios. More importantly you
can download the Arduino software for free, for all brands of
computers, this is the Arduino IDE software referred to often on this
list. The Arduino IDE software will help you use the Arduino to its
fullest potential. When you become more familiar with the Arduino,
you can also download various "libraries" and tools from this website.

You can also purchase hardware here.

Hope this helps - Rich WB2GXM

On 1/25/20, Daniel Flanagan <danflan49@...> wrote:
[...]

Gordon Gibby

Thanks, Rich, excellent information.
97.1 (here in the United States )encourages us to develop a trained group of persons. Not just consumers.