Topics

uBITx.net website

chris gress <Chrisg0wfh@...>

As here

On 28 Jan 2018 09:25, "chris gress" <chrisg0wfh@...> wrote:
I got them box's at my local shop used them for my bitx sets nice cases chris G0WFH

On 28 Jan 2018 07:09, "G1WDF" <wobblyandflo@...> wrote:
A handy reference source is a great idea, thank you.

In the enclosure tag the New Zealand sourced box is available in the UK.

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/two-part-large-abs-plastic-box-bz77j

Hopefully of use to UK builders.

Cheers, Richard.

Mike Woods

Arv

As I indicated in my update yesterday, I wanted to reply directly to your feedback as moderator of the BITX20@groups.io discussion group.

Firstly, let me congratulate the moderators on such an excellent resource for BITx owners.  I have two BITX40 and one uBITx (I will purchase another when the rush dies down a bit).  This group has been invaluable in identifying issues, sourcing fixes and uncovering mods for my BITX40's.   I suspect the uBITx will completely eclipse the earlier models, as it represents such excellent value for money, and addresses some of the shortcomings of earlier models.  There is already a ton of information on the group about the ubitx.  The challenge is how to present this to make it readily acceptable.  Hopefully my site can do something in this regard.

The ubitx.net website is not intended to surplant this list, but rather complement it.   I have now put a link to the group on the right hand menu (that will appear on every page of the site). Hopefully, having a resource website that owners can dip into find mods, and discover what has already been uncovered by others, will reduce the time that owners spend in gathering information and reduce the extent of reinvention of the wheel. That means more time for operating and construction - the real objectives in having a uBITx.

I don't plan to have a section for discussions or allow comments.  I don't have time to be a moderator!!  I will simply point people to this group.  I am always happy to receive feedback and I will try and action all feedback. There has already been great feedback and suggestions for improving the site.  Enough to keep me out of the workshop or operating room for a while!

I don't know what the solution is to the high volume of traffic on the group. Being clear in the subject line is important, but probably unenforceable.  I suspect that fragmenting into sub-groups may reduce cross-pollination of ideas.  The designs are quite similar.  AGC mods for the BITX20 work in the uBITx. There is no straight forward answer here.

I don't consider ubitx.net to be an official repository. In fact, there may be others who want to set up alternative sites. Similarly, I am not too worried about advertising.  I suspect folk who order a uBITx will do a google search, and they should find my website within a week or two once google's robot has been past the site and catalogued it. However, if you want to include the site in the footer of every email posted for a short period that would be great!  I will also try and remember to post updates from time to time on the group to remind folk of its existence.

I still have a lot of work to do in getting all of the static content adequately covering the range of things beginners want to know about.  This is the short-term focus, along with keeping the news feed going!

73

Mike

On 27/01/18 12:36 PM, Arv Evans wrote:
Mike  ZL1AXG

Initially I was against starting other groups that focus on the BITX phenomena, but after seeing your web site
and what you are doing with it I am having second thoughts.  Your approach does have potential to lower
workload on moderators for the existing BITX20@groups.io discussion group.  That alone should make the
moderators very happy.  🤗

Presently the BITX@groups.io group covers everything from the initial BITX20 design by Farhan over 10 years
ago.  This includes several different BITX transceivers, some clones of BITX that do not bear the name, and
a lot of add-ons, modifications, and other bits of information.  Over those years we all have learned much,
made new friends, and had lots of fun.  Maybe it is time to spin off a group that is dedicated just to the uBITX
( micro-BITX) and things that only apply to it.

Are you going to have a section for discussions, and a header that refers to this BITX20@groups.io mail handler,
and the http://www.groups.io/bitx20 site?
If you are going to have a discussion section, how are you going to handle those who wish to post the same
information on both groups (seems counter-productive).

There is also the issue of which site will be the "official BITX information repository" but maybe that will work
itself out with time and use.

All this raises a question...how do you want us on the BITX20@groups.io to show existence of your web page?
We can add it to the "Links" section but that only works for those who actually log in to the group itself.  Those
who only communicate with this group via Email will never see your URL.
There is a "message footer" under Message Formatting.  Maybe this could be used to advertise your new uBITX
web site, but things would get messy if we were to do the same advertising for everything BITX.  Possibly
using that footer for advertising of your site for some limited period of time would work but it fails for those who
join this group after the advert has been removed.
I'm looking for some suggestions here?

I have BCC'ed this message to the other two moderators so that they can add their thoughts and comments.

Arv (1 of 3 moderators) K7HKL
_._

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 2:38 PM, Mike Woods <mhwoods@...> wrote:
I note that there were almost 3,000 messages on this email list in December and we are currently at 2364 messages in January (and we are not quite to the end of the month!).  If you are not following the traffic, or come to the party late, trying to extract helpful information from the list is not straight forward! That's not to say that the list and the files section aren't helpful.  They are fantastic in fact for emergent discussion!  But a mail group is not the best way for anybody to source tried and true information about anything.  A website is much better at summarising known facts, to prevent endless redesign of the wheel, and answering the same newbie question over and over again.

I figured I should do something about this, so check out http://ubitx.net

The website is at an early stage of development.  It will contain two types of information to begin with - a summary of some of the more interesting items that arise from list discussion, presented as "news" items and a comprehensive guide to constructing and modding.

You can subscribe to the RSS feed to get news updates.

News items from the last 3 days include:
  • a "top board" for the uBitx (from Martin AE7EU)
  • removing the audio pop on T/R - a new approach (from Gary N3GO)
  • a new CW keying fix (from John AD0RW)
  • a discussion on IRF510 stabilisation fixes (from several list members).

I figured that these news items should reference the actual iogroups list items.  I will update some of the news stories that don't yet reference the original item. The news items have been summarised and/or edited lightly.

The other type of information on the website is intended to be a comprehensive guide to purchasing, assembling, fixing and modding the uBitx.   Static pages will summarise everything that a builder needs to know about a particular issue or extension.   Options for mods will be presented with recommendations for which ones are popular/proven.  Currently, I have begun pages covering the following (many of these have yet to be finished ...):

There's a lot more to be covered, just in the getting started section.  For example:
  • Reverse voltage and over-current protection
  • Microphone options
  • Wiring up an internal speaker, with an external phone jack
  • Wiring up a paddle and straight key
  • Getting support when things go wrong

I look forward to:

  • comments about the website's purpose, layout and example content
  • ways to improve and extend the website further
  • offers of assistance (directly to me at mhwoods@... please)

This will be a moderated website. I want to avoid the situation where  bum advice is shared with others that makes life a misery.

This is about short-cutting research time and eliminating blind alleys that detract from operating or modding time!

I'm off to a Ham Radio BBQ hosted by NZART Kapiti Branch (about 1/2 hour from me).   I look forward to reading the mail later today!  Brickbats, bouquets and all!

73

Mike  ZL1AXG

--
Mike Woods
mhwoods@...

--
Mike Woods
mhwoods@...

Mike Woods

Ashhar

Thanks for the positive feedback.  I definitely could do with some assistance in putting up news stories.

This group is a goldmine and the three moderators do a great job.  Let's hope we can find some folk for ubitx.net.

Sounds like construction is a big part of the experience at Larc.   It must be a thrill to see your design being built in such a prolific manner!   A couple of us here in Wellington are planning "garage" weekends to get amateurs back into home construction and attract a younger set.  It's worth a go!

73 Mike ZL1AXG

On 27/01/18 3:32 PM, Ashhar Farhan wrote:
great initiative! i tried something similar a few years ago with the hfsignals.org as a wiki but it went nowhere. it is still ticking away. however a learning was that having multiple peeps to get the content and moderation in place works best.
i hardly moderate this group, it is the brainchild of hans, G0UPL and Arv is the boss. He has spent immense time and energy on nurturing this group. It is not s stretch to say we owe our existence to these two guys.
I hope ubitx.net finds and equally committed set of people to run it.
Like the bitx20, the ubitx too will evolve into variants and more kitshops will pick it up. The structure of the website should handle this. With that easy advice, I am off to larc18. Last night 25 ubitx came alive. Today, another 24 to go!!
- f

On 27 Jan 2018 7:23 am, "AA7GW" <garywixom@q.com> wrote:
Great idea and initial layout; I am very supportive of doing this, but realize the extent of the effort and wonder how some of us can help?

Sent from my iPhone
AA7GW

On Jan 26, 2018, at 4:59 PM, Arv Evans <arvid.evans@...> wrote:

David

This has been done to some limited extent through use of #hashtags within the group.
Others have set up #hashtags for specific topics within the group.
Problem with this is unless you actually log into https://groups.io/g/bitx20 you don't see
what #hashtags are already established.

You are correct about the wiki.  It needs very dedicated people to keep it up to date for
a fast moving group like this.

Arv
_._

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 4:46 PM, David Arthur <mumrah@...> wrote:
Here's my unsolicited 0.02 USD.

Rename the Groups.io group to "bitx" (this is possible through the settings i think), create subgroups for each radio in the bitx family (bitx20, bitx40, ubitx, etc), and perhaps another subgroup for the Raduino and programming issues. There will still be a "main" group which could be used for announcements or general discussion, but subgroups would allow for users to subscribe to what interests them.

The wiki could very easily become the official bitx knowledge base, but it needs some TLC to get to that point.

--
David K4DBZ
Unofficial bitx chatroom: https://discord.gg/CrHvWFc

--
Mike Woods
mhwoods@...

William Kimber <zl1tao@...>

Hi Moderators,

It might be worth doing as some old Yahoo groups I belonged to do and send out files on joining (and some repeat every month to all members) giving basic information.

At present that could include shipping times/where to find original software/up to date schematic/ how to search groups.io site, it might reduce some of the newbie emails asking the same question that was asked a couple of days ago and a couple of days before that and a couple of days before . . .

Cheers,
Will
ZL1TAO

On 29/01/18 10:57, Mike Woods wrote:
[...]

Clay Nicolsen

What a terrific idea, and thanks for taking it on!

I'm a brand new General, and while the uBitX won't take the place of the IC-7300 I'm currently slobbering over, I am extremely interested in building one of these. As much as I enjoy scrolling through all the threads on the io group, it is somewhat difficult to find exactly what I'm (currently) interested in. I think the idea of a separate web site that complements the io group is a win-win.

Thanks again for doing this!

Clay KI7TMN