From: BITX20@groups.io [mailto:BITX20@groups.io] On Behalf Of Tyler Friesen
Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2020 10:08 PM
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: [BITX20] #ubitx-help

So I just order my Ubitx V6 this spring as my first HF rig, I tried 20 meters with it, but to no avail, so I'm taking a break from it until I can get my 20m antenna up higher. However, recently I was able to get ahold of a 80m antenna which I set up as an NVIS inverted vee with the center about 8 feet off the ground. I've been able to hear a lot more people with the 80m antenna and some people report that they can hear a station trying to break in but cannot hear it above the noise. THe problem I've had with 80m is that I get this really loud humming/cracking sound that makes it hard to hear some operators sometimes and it is generally just very annoying. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem with the V6? Is this a known problem or is it my antenna setup. I can provide a video of the sound if anyone requests.
Thanks in advance,
KI7AJA

Bob Lunsford

Also, it does not help if the antenna is parallel to the power lines, if such is the case. This can also introduce a lot of power line QRN. My G5RV is parallel to the power line but it about 40-ft away and above the power line. Thoughts about the antenna are never a waste of time.

On Thursday, June 11, 2020, 10:17:27 PM EDT, Dale Parfitt <parinc1@...> wrote:

One thing I can tell you is that with  an 80M antenna that low, you are losing  a fair amount of TX signal into warming the ground. You can still obtain NVIS with the center as high as 60’ or so on 80M- and have less power wasted into warming the earth worms.

GL,

Dale W4OP