Subject: Re: [BITX20] UBITX Assemly Wiki Page #ubitx
To: BITX20@groups.io
Date: Sunday, May 13, 2018, 8:35 PM

I updated the Assembly page with
pictures, no making fun of my soldering. ;-)

could use help with two things as I did not do a vanilla
installation of these two.
1. The microphone
2. The Keyer

If you did a no-modification
build, please snap some pics and post them or send them to
me and I'll do it.

Thanks!
W7PEA

ajparent1/KB1GMX

One small point.

If your using diode for reverse polarity protection it is better to place the
fuses BEFORE the diode as then the fuse blows and the diode is less
likely to be fried and also down stream circuits.

Allison

Jerry Gaffke

A search for 'reverse polarity" in this forum shows dozens of hits since the uBitx was released in early Dec.
Here's a few of mine:
  https://groups.io/g/BITX20/message/35353
  https://groups.io/g/BITX20/message/39877

  https://groups.io/g/BITX20/message/44499

I've given up trying to right that particular absurdity.

Unfortunately, we have hundreds of new hams with no fuse (or too big of one)
assuming they are protected when they are not.
And some of them are bound to be a bit too careless as a result.

Jerry

On Sun, May 13, 2018 at 07:23 pm, ajparent1/KB1GMX wrote:
One small point.

If your using diode for reverse polarity protection it is better to place the
fuses BEFORE the diode as then the fuse blows and the diode is less
likely to be fried and also down stream circuits.

Allison

K9HZ <bill@...>

There is a really trivial solution to this reversing diode-fuse thing.  My drawing is awful but you get the idea…  You just need a 50 cent 10A 12V relay.

Owner - Operator

Big Signal Ranch – K9ZC

Staunton, Illinois

Owner – Operator

Villa Grand Piton – J68HZ

Soufriere, St. Lucia W.I.

Rent it: www.VillaGrandPiton.com

Like us on Facebook! facebook icon

Moderator – North American QRO Group at Groups.IO.

email:  bill@...

[...]

kj6etl

THANKS!
Can you please upload a higher resolution version of the diagram?
Also the yellow wire is very hard to see against the white backgrond. Perhaps a darker yellow or a light grey background?

W7PEA

Thanks David, but I'm looking for pics of the Microphone or the Key jack.

This is a vanilla install kids. I'll add a note about adding a fuse in the power line. Or yo know it is a wiki... hint hint. I run my power supply into a RIGrunner 4004U.

West Mountain Radio RR/4004/USB - West Mountain Radio RIGrunner DC Outlet Panels

KJ6ETL... good suggestions! I'll see how we can make it easier on the eyes.

Thanks everyone.
W7PEA

MAX <max@...>

That’s the best one yet.

Regards.

Max K 4 O D S.

I've Never Lost the Wonder.

[...]

Image removed by sender.

Paul Galburt - K2AYZ

Very nice documentation.

Does raise a sort loosely related question. If the switch bridging the PA power to the general power is opened, how does the user control PA power. Does it matter if PA power is on all of the time?

The PA power could be controlled by using a 2-pole switch, which has other advantages.

Thanks,

Paul - K2AYZ

Lee

For reverse polarity protection I put a 5 amp rectifier in series  from the positive of the power jack and then to both fuses.   No relay or extra parts needed.  Sure I have a .7 volt drop but I do not think the loss would be noticed to the ear on the receiving end.  There is a lot more loss in just changing bands.
--
      Lee - N9LO

"I Void Warranties"

R. E. Klaus

Back in the 70's, some CB radio manufacturers used a diode in series with the power and it worked well. A couple brands used a bridge rectifier setup in the input power that way it didn't matter which way you connected to power.
Roxie -- K1AUS