Topics

uBitX as a Shortwave Receiver?

Mike Dice <regenbuilder@...>

I have read over the info about the uBitX on HFSigs. I understand it receives LSB and USB, but there is no mention of it being capable of receiving AM. I am considering getting one to use primarily to listen to what's left on shortwave. Is that possible?

Thanks, Mike

Ashhar Farhan

I use it to do that often. However, it is not very great for music as the crystal filter is quite narrow. You can easily add an AM detector at 45 mhz by using an NE612 as an active AM detector. The output can be fed into the volume control.

- f

On Fri 6 Dec, 2019, 5:55 AM Mike Dice via Groups.Io, <regenbuilder=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have read over the info about the uBitX on HFSigs. I understand it receives LSB and USB, but there is no mention of it being capable of receiving AM. I am considering getting one to use primarily to listen to what's left on shortwave. Is that possible?

Thanks, Mike

MVS Sarma

The am content being mono in most countries, with ham's skill to be able to tune ssb, am listening on any side band is not a big issue. We may not need specific am or synchronus detector.  As rightly pointed out bt Farhan, we may not get 10khz on medium and 5khz on shortwave. The audio I hear is reasonable for me.

Sarma vu3zmv

On Fri, 6 Dec 2019, 7:30 am Ashhar Farhan, <farhanbox@...> wrote:
I use it to do that often. However, it is not very great for music as the crystal filter is quite narrow. You can easily add an AM detector at 45 mhz by using an NE612 as an active AM detector. The output can be fed into the volume control.

- f

On Fri 6 Dec, 2019, 5:55 AM Mike Dice via Groups.Io, <regenbuilder=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have read over the info about the uBitX on HFSigs. I understand it receives LSB and USB, but there is no mention of it being capable of receiving AM. I am considering getting one to use primarily to listen to what's left on shortwave. Is that possible?

Thanks, Mike

Sudipta Ghose VU2UT

For hard core SWLs 5kHz BW is sufficient for their purpose.
73 de EssGee VU2UT

--
One of those ... ...

Don, ND6T

Absolutely Mike! With the inherent stability of the uBITX it tunes nicely to the exact frequency, zero beat, and no problem in receiving AM. Actually, it is somewhat better since the selective fade is less troublesome when you aren't relying upon the carrier for demodulation. The narrow bandpass isn't bad, cuts down on the adjacent channel interference. I like the idea of being able to listen to MW broadcast as well especially while portable and for emcomm. Weather and news. Not so much for music. 73, Don

iz oos

In my opinion using it just as a receiver is a bit of waste. It's an excellent choice as a qrp transceiver, but a Tecsun portable receiver like a PL660 is just more convenient with synch detector, AM, excellent SSB, excellent AGC, and you have the AM Airband as well. And plenty of volume too.

Il 06/dic/2019 01:25, "Mike Dice via Groups.Io" <regenbuilder=yahoo.com@groups.io> ha scritto:
I have read over the info about the uBitX on HFSigs. I understand it receives LSB and USB, but there is no mention of it being capable of receiving AM. I am considering getting one to use primarily to listen to what's left on shortwave. Is that possible?

Thanks, Mike

Olivier Grand

Hello !
You can even listen long waves or lower (SAQ on 17.2Khz fo example) with the little SA612 Based VLF converter (see attached), works great
Regards.
Olivier

Le sam. 7 déc. 2019 à 14:42, iz oos <and2oosiz2@...> a écrit :

In my opinion using it just as a receiver is a bit of waste. It's an excellent choice as a qrp transceiver, but a Tecsun portable receiver like a PL660 is just more convenient with synch detector, AM, excellent SSB, excellent AGC, and you have the AM Airband as well. And plenty of volume too.

Il 06/dic/2019 01:25, "Mike Dice via Groups.Io" <regenbuilder=yahoo.com@groups.io> ha scritto:
I have read over the info about the uBitX on HFSigs. I understand it receives LSB and USB, but there is no mention of it being capable of receiving AM. I am considering getting one to use primarily to listen to what's left on shortwave. Is that possible?

Thanks, Mike

padmanabhan cattamanchi

A simple mod would be to bypass the input and output the   crystal filter with two miniature relays. It may not sound great but should be decent enough for SWLing

Paddy
vu2pep/ac2dt

On Monday, December 9, 2019, 02:34:39 PM GMT+5:30, Olivier Grand <olilou1961@...> wrote:

[...]

Great idea paddy!