Topics

uBitx and QCX review in QST August 2019

Ashhar Farhan

Have you guys seen the August 2019 QST? It has uBITX reviewed. It also reviewed QCX or qrp labs.

Gordon Gibby

Yes, I did, and they gave you a very nice write up.

As you know, I built a printed circuit board to provide daughterboard relays for the version 3 which dramatically reduced harmonics (did nothing for spurs of course)

Soon i'll be purchasing one of your version 5's and may also add a daugtherboard there, not sure if worth it.    

Congratulations on a very fine product, and we will be using it more and more for emergency comms and training.

Gordon Gibby MD KX4Z

From: BITX20@groups.io <BITX20@groups.io> on behalf of Ashhar Farhan <farhanbox@...>
Sent: Saturday, August 10, 2019 10:48 AM
To: bitx20@groups.io
Subject: [BITX20] uBitx and QCX review in QST August 2019

Have you guys seen the August 2019 QST? It has uBITX reviewed. It also reviewed QCX or qrp labs.

John Seboldt K0JD

It's actually the September issue - haven't received mine yet but can read it online before it arrives.

John K0JD

On 8/10/2019 09:48, Ashhar Farhan wrote:

Herman Scheper

Is it possible to find somewhere?? I looked onthe QST site but, as expected, as not a qst reader i can not download the article. So i am interested to read it. It it hard to find this here in the Netherlands. Pa0bab

Herman vanaf z'n IPad.

Op 10 aug. 2019 om 17:33 heeft John Seboldt K0JD <k0jd-l@...> het volgende geschreven:

It's actually the September issue - haven't received mine yet but can read it online before it arrives.

John K0JD

kg9hfrank@gmail.com

On Aug 10, 2019, at 11:09 AM, Herman Scheper <Hsrscheper@...> wrote:

Is it possible to find somewhere?? I looked onthe QST site but, as expected, as not a qst reader i can not download the article. So i am interested to read it. It it hard to find this here in the Netherlands. Pa0bab

Herman vanaf z'n IPad.

Op 10 aug. 2019 om 17:33 heeft John Seboldt K0JD <k0jd-l@...> het volgende geschreven:

John K0JD

GM4CID

Review video not up to usual ARRL standards - could have done better.

Doug W

On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 02:39 AM, Robert McClements wrote:
Glad to see more coverage for the µBITX but the video showing an aftermarket enclosure as if it is standard is only going to create confusion.

--
www.bitxmap.com

Ken Hansen

They make it clear in the print article that the case was optional, citing the source, cost, and shipping, as well as including a stand-alone photo of everything that comes with third-party case they selected.

In addition, HF Signals does a good job explaining what is and is not included with their semi-kit.

I think confusion will be minimal, and the alternative would have been to 'review' the board without a case.

Ken, N2VIP

On Aug 11, 2019, at 9:52 AM, Doug W <dougwilner@...> wrote:

On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 02:39 AM, Robert McClements wrote:
Glad to see more coverage for the µBITX but the video showing an aftermarket enclosure as if it is standard is only going to create confusion.

--
www.bitxmap.com

GM4CID

Ken Hansen, yes, agreed,  the QST article does make these points.

The video will be seen by many who do not have access to QST and who are
not familiar with the uBitx and they will get  information about the product.
that is a very incomplete and potentially open to misinterpretation.

As I stated earlier, ARRL could have done much better, disappointing.

Bob GM4CID

Ken Hansen

ARRL isn't a marketing firm, and I believe the video is kept behind a paywall for subscribers only.

Again, you can't buy the uBitx without going to HF Signals, who makes it very clear what is included and what the user must supply.

The video the ARRL produced meets the needs of the ARRL - I've never seen any of their 'in depth' videos get used as marketing collateral by any manufacturer, that's not what they are made for. If someone chooses to repurpose it outside the ARRL it is on that person to overcome any shortcomings the video may have in its new role.

My $0.02 worth,

Ken, N2VIP

On Aug 11, 2019, at 11:26 AM, Robert McClements <gm4cid@...> wrote:

Bob GM4CID

There are a lot of videos related to the uBitX on YouTube that can add details that are missing in the ARRL video.

Matthew N8OHU

On August 11, 2019 11:26:38 AM EDT, Robert McClements <gm4cid@...> wrote:

Bob GM4CID

--
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Dave New

Asher,

You may wish to contact ARRL and ask permission to host a PDF of the review article on your own website.  I'm not sure what the arrangement is for that sort of thing, but I've encountered that several times.  For instance, Elecraft has PDFs of the various ARRL review articles of their equipment for free download on their site.

-- Dave, N8SBE

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [BITX20] uBitx and QCX review in QST August 2019
<daywalker_blade_2004@...>
Date: Sun, August 11, 2019 1:41 pm
To: BITX20@groups.io

There are a lot of videos related to the uBitX on YouTube that can add details that are missing in the ARRL video.

Matthew N8OHU

On August 11, 2019 11:26:38 AM EDT, Robert McClements <gm4cid@...> wrote:

Bob GM4CID

--
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Donald

I agree: the video was nice, but lacking. Many very basic facts were left out. Seemed to be aimed at hams who already knew about the uBitx and just wanted to see one.
-- Donald, KB5PWL