Topics

Ubitx 6.1 questions

Bill Peggy <bnpmunson@...>

I just received my version 6 ubitx and on the display it says version
6.1. I want to upgrade to CEC firmware. Do I need to program the
nextion display as well. The display is already running and displaying
the stock firmware and I read somewhere that the firmware in the
nextion has not changed for a while. I would have to buy a memory card
to do it as I dont have one that would work.
Thanks for your help,
Bill KC2NG

Evan Hand

The stock version 6 (v6) uBitx screen is not compatible with the KD8CEC firmware.  The KD8CEC firmware works with the original v5 and earlier 16x2 line screen or a 2.8" basic Nextion touch screen to replace the stock v6 screen.  There is a link on ubitx.net.  I would start there if you are looking to convert to the KD8CEC firmware and Nextion screen.

If you have the full uBitx kit (including the case) and want to replace the provided screen with the 2.8" Nextion, be sure to order the "Basic" and not "Enhanced" screen.  I had purchased a new case to put in one of my original v4 boards, and bought the 2.8" Enhanced to go with it.  I was not able to find a compiled tft file for the enhanced 2.8" display.  I also could not find a source file that would compile to the enhanced version either.  Not saying it is not out there, just that I could not find one.

The display and links that Barbaros WB2CBA used in his conversion are for the basic 2.8" Nextion display.

73
Evan
AC9TU

Bill Peggy <bnpmunson@...>

Ok so what I understand from this is that the display i have is not a
nextion display although it certainly looks like one. Its got multiple
rows and is a touch screen and even has the spot for a memory card. So
what do I need to do to be able to use the CEC firmware?

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 8:09 AM Evan Hand <elhandjr@...> wrote:

[...]

McRuss

Just slightly off the topic but.....I received my V6 yesterday, five days ahead of the estimated delivery date and I have a couple observations.  Included with the basic kit (I want to make my own case) was a parts list.  As indicated in another post, there are no directions and I'm fine with that but....would it have been so hard to note on the board which two pin output was speaker and which was power?  Also, I guess the 'templates' for front and back are just that and not intended for mounting the display, knobs, etc. as the 'on/off volume switch shaft is either too short or the switch itself is mounted too deep.  I'm waiting for my case to arrive but wanted to get it up and running asap but the on/off knob cant be installed with the 'template' front end.  Still can be turned on/off with fingers though.  I realized that I don't have the proper antenna adapter OR my soldering iron to build one (long story) nor the speaker that I intended to use so will have to wait another week before a smoke test!  Any way, am anxious to get it on the air, seems like a nice little unit and I'm sure I'll be back with questions as I get further along.

--
Newbie
K5FJR

Reed N

The display that comes with v6 is absolute not a nextion screen, despite any superficial resemblance.

To use the CEC software, you'll need to buy a nextion screen,  program the screen with the correct nextion files, program the nano with the CEC software, and finally connect the nextion screen to the arduino.

Reed

Evan Hand

Bill Peggy,
You are correct.  The display is not a Nextion display.  It is similar but does not have the same controller, nor the microSD slot to load in the screen software.  All of the screen driver and touch interface is done in the Nano on the Raduino board.

You have to purchase another screen.  If you have the full kit, then I would recommend the 2.8" basic Nextion that is available from the internet:
https://www.itead.cc/nextion-nx3224t028-1944.html

There are other sources.  Be sure that it is the "Basic" display, as that is the only tft that I have found.

If there are others that know where to get the source files or an "Enhanced" version, please send us the link.  I have an extra 2.8" Enhanced display that I could use on another board.

73
Evan
AC9TU

Skip Davis

Bill am I correct that you are referring to another display that you have and not the display supplied with the V6 kit?

Skip NC9O

Bill Peggy <bnpmunson@...>

No i am talking about the display supplied with my brand new ubitx.
Its not the 2 line display of the older units. It has a display area
of 2.4"x 1.82" and displays 6 lines of text/graphics.

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 9:09 PM Skip Davis via Groups.Io
<skipnc9o=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Bill am I correct that you are referring to another display that you have and not the display supplied with the V6 kit?

Skip NC9O

W2CTX

The color tft display delivered with the V6 kit is NOT compatible with KD8CEC software.

On Thursday, March 19, 2020, 11:29:11 PM EDT, Bill Peggy <bnpmunson@...> wrote:

No i am talking about the display supplied with my brand new ubitx.
Its not the 2 line display of the older units. It has a display area
of 2.4"x 1.82" and displays 6 lines of text/graphics.

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 9:09 PM Skip Davis via Groups.Io
<skipnc9o=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

> Bill am I correct that you are referring to another display that you have and not the display supplied with the V6 kit?
>
> Skip NC9O

Mike G4GOU

I got the 6.1 Kit and replaced the TFT display with a 2.8" Nextion Enhanced display ordered from Amazon, software from http://www.hamskey.com/2019/04/release-cec-firmware-v1200-for-ubitx.html

Works Great.

73 Mike
EA7KIP/G4GOU

Evan Hand

Thank-you for the link.  Do not know why I could not find it.  It is difficult to find things on hamskey site).

73
Evan
AC9TU

Bill Peggy <bnpmunson@...>

i got that already. is there any upgrade for this display?

On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 11:31 AM W2CTX via Groups.Io
<w2ctx=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

The color tft display delivered with the V6 kit is NOT compatible with KD8CEC software.

On Thursday, March 19, 2020, 11:29:11 PM EDT, Bill Peggy <bnpmunson@...> wrote:

No i am talking about the display supplied with my brand new ubitx.
Its not the 2 line display of the older units. It has a display area
of 2.4"x 1.82" and displays 6 lines of text/graphics.

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 9:09 PM Skip Davis via Groups.Io
<skipnc9o=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Bill am I correct that you are referring to another display that you have and not the display supplied with the V6 kit?

Skip NC9O

Evan Hand

Bill,

I was waiting to see if someone else with a v6 and actual experience with the updates would answer.  Since no one has, here is what I have read on this board.

There are two things that were identified with the stock v6 firmware (version 6.1) as supplied with the uBITX from HFSignals.  The first was the speed of the display update.  The second was the encoder performance.  I thought that both were addressed on Farhan's githup.com repository:

https://github.com/afarhan/ubitxv6

Since I do not have a v6, I cannot vouch for the updates.

I would check on HFSignals.com, ubitx.net, and the files section of this board to see if there are other options to get the firmware updates.  If not, then you will need to download and install the Arduino IDE to compile the code from Farhan's Github to then download to the v6 uBiTX.  The good thing about the uBITX program is that all of the calibrations for the board are stored in the EEPROM, and are not changed when the firmware is loaded.  That can be a disadvantage if you want to maintain the original Arduino Nano and make the changes in a fresh Nano.  If you do go the second Nano route, you will need to re-calibrate the uBITX.  Thee is a YouTube video with the calibration help at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6LGXhS4_O8&feature=youtu.be

And the BFO Tuning page at:

https://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/bfo-tuning-aid/

Hope these suggestions help, however I have not tried them so again cannot vouch for any of the v6 upgrades.

73
Evan
AC9TU

mymonte666@...

As far as loading the software into the nextion the best way i found is using an fti cable. In my case i used my baofeng programming cable. I just ran wires from the jack to the nextion temporarely. You only need to connect tx, rx and ground. To the cable and 5v and ground to power the screen.
I am planning on sourcing a more permanent solution so i can load the screen software while its mounted on the case.