Topics

UBITX6, CEC 1.2 and Memory Manager #calibration #ubitxv6

Justin Bowser - KI5GKD

I got the correct Nano and loaded in the latest (V1.2) CEC firmware and attached the Nextion screen. Things look nice!  I am having trouble figuring out how to re-calibrate the BFO.  I hooked the stock Nano and screen back up and went through the BFO alignment and this time I wrote down the value (11.056.6) but I'm unsure where/how to enter this.  I see a block for CW (U/L) BFO Calibration do I enter 11.056.6 in this field and write to the Nano?

73,

Justin
KI5GKD

Justin Bowser - KI5GKD

I guess I need a pointer to how to calibrate with CEC and Nextion.  Is there a procedure similar to the stock firmware?  If so then maybe I won't need to figure out how to set with memory manager.

Evan Hand

Justin,

Yes, there is a way to do the same calibration process as the stock firmware EXCEPT for the v5 stock firmware.  That version goes into transmit mode for calibration (NOTE:  That is the only software that uses that process).  ALL of the KD8CEC software uses the zero beat process on receive to set the calibration.  The difference from the v6 process that is in the Ashhar Farhan video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6LGXhS4_O8) is how you get to the calibration values.  With the KD8CEC firmware, you need to get into the legacy setup menu through the "Yellow Box" by pressing and holding in the encoder.  A yellow box will come up that you can use to get to the turn-on setup choice, select, short press again, and then the calibration and BFO adjustments are available at the end of the long list of settings.

You should note that the calibration parameters are stored in the EEPROM of the Nano, so if you calibrate with the stock firmware and then overwrite the program with the KD8CEC firmware, the settings are saved.  Conversely, if you add a new Nano, then you need to reset all of the calibration parameters.

On most of the Nextion display files, there is a screen to look at the current values of the calibration settings.  As far as what I have used, none of the software allows you to edit those values.  That is where the Memory Manager software comes into play.  The really cool thing about that software is that you can save the configuration data to a file, so if in the future you need to replace the Nano you can reload the same settings you had before.
Here is the link to the Memory Manager:
https://github.com/phdlee/ubitx/releases/tag/v1.11

There are 3 different BFO adjustment values, and one calibration value:

The USB and LSB are in use when the SSB modes are selected, the CW(L/U) whenever the CW mode is selected.

There are other settings available with the manager like the T/R delay timers, CW offset/sidetone and many other settings.  I would suggest that you go to the HamsKey.com
http://www.hamskey.com/2018/01/ubitx-memory-manager-program.html

That is a starting point, There are other sources on ubitx.net and even in the very difficult to navigate HamsKey.com blog.

Hope this helps.
73
Evan
AC9TU

Justin Bowser - KI5GKD

Evan,

Thanks.  So, the number I came up with calibrating the BFO with stock firmware was 110566, I enter that number in USB, LSB, and CW calibration fields?  How do I derive the number for the master calibration field?  When i zero-beat WWV (USB) w/stock FW I read 9.998.1.

Also, with the CEC firmware if I press the encoder I go into "Band Select?" and if I hold the encoder in for a few seconds I get "Set Tune Step?"
73,

Justin B.

Evan Hand

Justin,
My error, you do not need to long-press the encoder (wrong version).  Sorry, it has been a while since I did that adjustment.  Once the yellow box comes up you can turn the encoder to get to the selection to turn on the setup functions.  That is when you have to go back into the menu system and scroll to near the end of the menu that now has the setup options.

To set the master calibration you can do the zero beat process with the yellow box menu system, first setting the display to the frequency of the AM station that is the reference, then going into the calibration mode through the yellow box and adjusting for zero beat.  That value will show up in the LSB or USB calibration setting depending on which mode you are in.  I then go back into Memory Manager, read the information from the µBITX, copy the one that is filled out to the other two values, write back to the µBITX, and finally save the settings to a file.

For best results, you do want to do the 3 step process in the video:

1 - Set the BFO to the low range to allow for low-frequency response during the zero beat process
2 - Calibrate the master clock with the AM  reference
3 - Adjust the BFO for best audio and alternate sideband cancelation.

73
Evan
AC9TU

Justin Bowser - KI5GKD

Evan,

Thank you so much, Sir, I did not even think to spin the knob after pressing it!

I seem to have it tweaked back in and just made a 40M contact from North Texas to Mississippi with a 59 bouncing to +5!  I also wrote up a quick program for my CNC to cut the front panel and have it in the cabinet.  I will do the rear panel some other time, but the procrastinator that I am it may be quite a while until I get to it!

73,

Justin
KI5GKD

Evan Hand

Justin,

You are very welcome, and congratulations on the upgrade!

I am impressed with the CNC capability.  That is something that I wish I had and could do a number of times.  My metalworking skills are very poor, so I can get functional circuits, but the final result is not always pretty.  I wind up buying cases for my projects.

73
Evan
AC9TU

Justin Bowser - KI5GKD

Evan,

I retired as a machinist and have modified some small Chinese machine tools to CNC.  I probably could build one (I have a small sheet metal brake) but I'm too lazy so I buy cases and then poke holes in 'em! ;-)

73,

Justin B.
KI5GKD