Topics

TSW Teensy 4.0 software with RTC coming soon #ubitx #v6

Jim Sheldon

To all users of TSW's Teensy4 to NANO adapter and those thinking about getting one, we have successfully gotten the T4's internal real time clock to display the time on the upper left of the screen. We still have a few refinements that we're working on so it isn't ready for prime time just yet.  Right now, you simply touch on the clock display and that brings up a manual setting window.  We hope to have an alternate, more accurate means of setting the clock in the future, such as an attached GPS module or grabbing your computer's time via the USB port.  Maybe even both, with the GPS being an option.  Possibilities here appear to be close to endless.

One of the drawbacks, we are still trying to find a 3V coin cell holder that can be mounted either on the Adapter or the Teensy 4 itself, connected to the Vbat (back up battery) terminal on the Teensy to keep the clock accurate while main power is off. Right now we're having to make up one that's connected by a set of wires and just hung off of it. Mounting it on the adapter or Teensy interferes with the regulator's heat sink on the factory Raduino AND the speaker on the top cover of the factory case.  Not an elegant solution but it is usable for the time being.

We've also added an A>B button that will transfer the frequency in VFO A to VFO B as the basis for easier setup of the SPLIT function. Screen shot shows how the screen looks in our "Beta" test (may change slightly in the coming release version)

We hope to be able to release a usable version within the next few days so watch for it on the website.

Jim Sheldon, W0EB,
TSW Project Coordinator

N0YWB

Just having a menu to manually set the time by listening to WWV or other time station would work.
MultiPSK can decode the Date and time from various time stations, but that's overkill.

barry halterman

Whoop, whoop...can't wait!

On Tue, Feb 18, 2020, 1:37 PM N0YWB <n0ywb1@...> wrote:
Just having a menu to manually set the time by listening to WWV or other time station would work.
MultiPSK can decode the Date and time from various time stations, but that's overkill.

Rene

Why not using a cellphone batt with a voltage controller. They are verry slim and power enough

Jim Sheldon

Total overkill.  A CR2032 or even smaller coin cell will provide keep alive voltage for the real time clock for close to a year or even more.  Cell phone batteries are expensive where coin cells are usually under a dollar.  I wouldn't even consider putting one of those huge cell phone batteries (compared to the size of the Teensy 4.0.)..

Jim - W0EB

Why not using a cellphone batt with a voltage controller. They are verry slim and power enough

Jack, W8TEE

It appears that the T4 RTC draws less than 30 microamps.

Jack, W8TEE

--
Jack, W8TEE

Jim Sheldon

Thanks Jack,
That's info I didn't have but is in keeping with what the old Teensy 3.6 we used to use needed to keep the RTC running when Vin was off.  If "self discharge" didn't kill the Cellphone battery, you and I would probably be long gone before one stopped powering that RTC - LOL.  It's a heck of a lot easier to find a place to stuff a CR2032 out of the way in a V6 uBITX than one of even the smallest of cell phone batteries not to mention many cell phone batteries are Lithium Polymer (some have blown up or burst into flames in cellphones) and I wouldn't want one of them inside my uBITX on a bet.

Jim