Topics

Testing Assistance Request #calibration #ssb #v6

ko4bsw

Hi All:

I just got back into Ham radio after about 20 years and recently upgraded to General in the last couple of weeks and at the same time received a ubitx v6. Last night I put up an inverted V dipole and I ran into a road block or two that I wanted to see if I could get assistance with.

 I noticed that on 40 meters when LSB was selected I was unable to correctly hear any SSB signals. I calibrated the bfo using the hfsingals site and was still unable to hear the signal until I switched to USB. I then adjusted the configuration of the BFO to hear the signals on 40 meters correctly when LSB is selected. I am assuming now my BFO is working correctly, or rather do I understand that concept correct?

Since then I attempted to make a couple of contacts on 40 but did not have any luck. I wanted to see if anyone would be willing to schedule a time to see if they can hear my SSB signal and connect for a quick QSO. My location is in Virginia. Once again I am pretty new at this so any and all assistance is appreciated.

Best,
-John

Reed N

Hi John,

I can't help with the QSO, but if the BFO calibration is done wrong, you can end up with flipped side bands. Nothing wrong with that, just means all the labels in the software are backwards.

Reed

Curt

John

I am thinking that you correctly adjusted the bfo, since you are now receiving nicely. If you go to 20m, select usb, it should also receive well. This is because ubitx does a spectrum flip, there is only one bfo setting really.

40m prop is strange with low solar flux. Your 5 or 10 watts is plenty to reach me in Maryland, but we don't have a path much of the time, and the low power makes it harder to reach across the paths we have in ssb.

20 years hmmm. You should know some cw, we could try that. Or maybe 80m ssb.

Your rig may be fine. I have made some ssb qsos but not doing as well now. I got lucky and my microphone from junkbox works well, that could he another issue. No alc in this rig.

Curt

Evan Hand

There use to be a Sunday afternoon uBitx QSO at 3 and 7 PM Eastern time.  I had tried to CQ it, however never heard a reply.

We could try 7 PM Eastern today on the same 7.277 MHz LSB.

My uBitx is under construction (again), but do have my IC-7300.

73
Evan
AC9TU

Ora Smith

John,

I am in central Ohio and very happy to arrange a sked with you on 40 meter SSB. How about late afternoon on Saturday or Sunday?

You can just reply to my regular email address shown below if you want to connect.

73,

Ora
W9DJ

Ora Smith

On Feb 21, 2020, at 11:50 AM, ko4bsw via Groups.Io <longenecker@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you for reaching out--definitely appreciate the support.

Evan- I'll be putting down the kids tonight at 7 but should be done at 7:30 if that works for you.

Ora- I'll touch base with email and see if we can setup a time for tomorrow afternoon.

Curt--my first license was a technician so I've just started working on learning CW. Have most of the letters down but still working on the numbers. I installed Reeds firmware to get the code fixes and hope to start making CW contacts when I am a bit more comfortable.

Once again, appreciate the assistance and hope to make some contacts soon.

73
-John

Evan Hand

John,

We can try at 7:30 PM your time, but the band is really bad tonight.  I have been able to copy only a few signals, and they were quickly fading.

My suggestion would be to try to get all of us on at the same time.  If you publish the data and time, I will be there.

Do you have a 20 meter antenna?  That worked best for me with my uBitx, as that band is better during the daylight hours.

Will be listening at 7:30 PM either way.

73
Evan
AC9TU

Evan Hand

Called and listened for 10 minutes.  Again, the band conditions are not good.  Let me know what time tomorrow you plan to try again.

73
Evan
AC9TU

ko4bsw

Thanks Evan!

Sorry we were unable to connect. I have a 1/2 wave 40 meter dipole—I don’t think that would be good for 20. I am not hearing a lot on 20 right now but seem to be hearing more on 40.

I’ll be on around 10 am tomorrow eastern. Appreciate the help.

73
-John
ko4bsw

Evan Hand

No, a 40 m 1/2 wave will not work on 20 m.

We can try tomorrow at 10 your time.

73
Evan
AC9TU

Ashhar Farhan

I usually hear myself on the websdr. That works the best for me.

- f

On Sat 22 Feb, 2020, 6:34 AM Evan Hand, <elhandjr@...> wrote:
No, a 40 m 1/2 wave will not work on 20 m.

We can try tomorrow at 10 your time.

73
Evan
AC9TU

ca4wqp@...

Hola a mi me pasa lo mismo solo recibe en usb al usar el lsb no recibe nada y no puede llegar acer ningun contacto como actulizo el sofware tengo la vercion 6.2 y creo q salio la 6.3.1 del ubitx v6

73
Ca4wqp

Evan Hand

John,

Farhan's suggestion is a good one.  You can go to websdr.org to look up a web based sdr and use it to listen to yourself.  I have done this, though there are not a lot of sdr sites that I can reach, even with my IC-7300.  I have severe antenna limitations due to the HOA restrictions.

Let me know the frequency you will be using.  I had suggested the 7.277 MHz as that is what has been listed as the uBitx frequency for the previous scheduled qso parties.  For some locations there is a 7.275 MHz carrier that can interfere with reception.

73
Evan
AC9TU

ko4bsw

Thanks Farhan & Evan! I've been checking the websdr out this morning and have not been able to hit the one in DC or Pennsylvania. I am about 65 miles from DC so I thought that might be the closest one to hit.

I think my antenna and feed line are likely the issues. I have a Em-tech ZM-2 ATU so that I can tune my antenna to low SWR but so far that has not seemed to make a difference. Unfortunately, I have about 200 feet between myself and the trees I am using to hang my dipole. I have this burry flex cable that I understood to be low loss from amateur radio supplies. If I can find the right extension cords or a battery pack I may be able to bring the radio to the trees and try a different feed line to isolate if it is the feed line or the inverted v dipole.

Anyway, I'll be on at 7.277 at 10 eastern for around an hour.

73 and thanks again for the help.

-John
ko4bsw

ko4bsw

Evan—I can hear you but my signal doesn’t seem to be getting out. I am going to change my antenna setup be back in a moment.

-John

Dean Souleles

Hi all - I'm in Northern Virginia - calling and listening on 7.277.

Dean
KK4DAS

Evan Hand

I have tried calling and listening on both my "big" rig (Icom 7300) and on the WDC Web SDR.  I can barely hear my 100 watt rig on the SDR, so suspect that band conditions and my antenna will not allow qso to Northern Virginia.  I am located in Chicago, IL area.

Hopefully others have contacted you.

73
Evan
AC9TU

ko4bsw

I’m transmitting again but it seems like I am not getting out. Trying to change out the feed line.

Appreciate everyone’s assistance and patience.

73
-John

Mick

John,
also try a websdr a little further away, I tried many that were close to me and no contact but found by trying that several 200 to 300 mile away did receive me. I first confirmed contact with cw then with ssb.
i also shouted really loud into my mic.
ive since replace the mic element with a more powerful element for about $2 and that helped.
my next upgrade with be the ssm2167 amp compression upgrade http://ubitx.net/2019/08/15/ssm2167-board-improving-compression-control/

The reason I encourage you to keep trying is because for about 1 week after building my v6 I doubted that it was transmitting. After trial and error I braved it works and have been having many successful QSO’s since.
I also connected a mfj949d antenna tuner and that really helped.
73
Mick Va3epm

Mick

I hear you John on 7277