Topics

starting point

dgclifford@...

hello  i have just ordered my ubitx and i am wondering where  to start ,should i go with the original stuff first or update  asap any ideas on a logical progression would be great .i have a couple of spare (gifts) raspberry pi 3b that are doing nothing what would be a good use for these . purchasing the ubitx was an spur of the moment i now would like to plan the way forward a bit more than i have.  many thanks dave c

Dean Souleles

Hi Dave -

Great question and one I should have asked - hi hi.   As a brand new kit builder and having just finished my build - and still debugging a few problems, here is my advice.  Build the kit stock and make sure everything is working before you do any mods.  I bought the amtateurradiokits case (which I love) at the same time I bought the board - and one of my issues has been case integration (mostly caused by my inexperience). I built it straight into the case without a smoke test which meant that when things weren't working I had one more variable to deal with - is the case or the ubitx the problem.  For example once I got the build complete and turned it on the first thing I noticed was the audio was garbled and the frequency display appeared off - but hard to tell because the audio was so bad.  After a bunch of fiddling - and with help from the group here - I got it down to the BFO calibration - about a 5 minute fix once I knew what to do.  I got lots of advice about doing things to the hardware - but believing that the simplest explanation is usually the correct one - I kept double checking my work and found a mistake or two.   Second issue I had  (haven't fixed yet) is I think I miss-wired - or sloppy soldered the mic connection on the expansion PCB that came with the case.  Again - if I had tested the ubitx prior to wiring it up to the case I would know where to look.

It will be much easier to mod a working radio then to debug a mélange of original kit and after-market mods.

My two cents from the cheap seats.

Dean
KK4DAS

Skip Davis

Go with the original build and make sure everything functions, I mean does it RX and TX. Then if SSB sound off do a BFO calibration and if you feel that the frequency is off do that. Just work on one kink at a time.
Then start your experimenting with other changes one at a time because you know that you had a working and functioning rig when you started.
Don’t jump into a full blown calibration/modification at the beginning otherwise you won’t know where to start with troubleshooting.

Skip Davis, NC9O

On Aug 13, 2019, at 04:57, dgclifford@... wrote:

hello  i have just ordered my ubitx and i am wondering where  to start ,should i go with the original stuff first or update  asap any ideas on a logical progression would be great .i have a couple of spare (gifts) raspberry pi 3b that are doing nothing what would be a good use for these . purchasing the ubitx was an spur of the moment i now would like to plan the way forward a bit more than i have.  many thanks dave c

Don - KM4UDX

Dean and Skip speak wise truth. Do what they suggest, and your path will be fruitful.

Every builder I know who rushed into adding the AGC board, or adding the spur reduction mod, or added a fancy external mic, or changed the relays, or or or had a MUCH harder time of it, and typically they give up in frustration, and uBITX never got happy on the air.

So, build it as suggested in a pizza box, or plastic box, or anything that is easy. It is much more important to leave the physical rig exactly as designed, and then move on to loading the CEC software so you gain rig control for WSJTX or FLDGI, or HRD, or whatever software you use which controls the rig.

So, in short,
1) build it as is, tweak BFO as needed,
2) load CEC software including memory manager
3) get your digital mode or logging application of choice to exercise uBITX rig control
4) use the radio (lots)
5) then, and only then, mod based on what needs YOU experienced in step 4 above.

Enjoy.

Don
km4udx.

Evan Hand

I agree with Don, Dean and Skip.  I have built 2 version 4 and 1 version 5.  The first went smoothly because I did follow the steps in Don's message.  The second one I had issues with because I jumped into the mods before I had the rig working.  The last one I followed the formula and had no issues.

Start with the base, get it working, then start on the mod filled journey.

73
Evan
AC9TU

dgclifford@...

On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 12:54 PM, Evan Hand wrote:
I agree with Don, Dean and Skip.  I have built 2 version 4 and 1 version 5.  The first went smoothly because I did follow the steps in Don's message.  The second one I had issues with because I jumped into the mods before I had the rig working.  The last one I followed the formula and had no issues.

Start with the base, get it working, then start on the mod filled journey.

73
Evan
AC9TU

dgclifford@...

oops thanks for the input makes sense to me looking forward to it arriving  many thanks  dave c