Topics

Squelch Control??

K2CRR@...

Maybe I have missed it, but has anyone devised a squelch circuit for the uBitx?  I often monitor a net for extended times and the constant "hash" is tiresome and I will eventually stop monitoring.

Tnx,

Bob - K2CRR

MVS Sarma

Hi Bob,
If you use kd8cec firmware, you have a facility "if-s"
Push if-s button and adjust the silder to minimum hash. All the best.

Sarma vu3zmv

On Tue, 23 Jul 2019, 8:16 pm , <K2CRR@...> wrote:
Maybe I have missed it, but has anyone devised a squelch circuit for the uBitx?  I often monitor a net for extended times and the constant "hash" is tiresome and I will eventually stop monitoring.

Tnx,

Bob - K2CRR

Sarma,

The IF-S is “IF Shift”, it is not a squelch unless a new firmware update has given this function dual modes somehow???

David A Posthuma, WD8PUO

1 (616) 283-7703

If you use kd8cec firmware, you have a facility "if-s"

Push if-s button and adjust the silder to minimum hash. All the best.

Sarma vu3zmv

On Tue, 23 Jul 2019, 8:16 pm , <K2CRR@...> wrote:

Maybe I have missed it, but has anyone devised a squelch circuit for the uBitx?  I often monitor a net for extended times and the constant "hash" is tiresome and I will eventually stop monitoring.

Tnx,

Bob - K2CRR

MVS Sarma

Thanjs David, i know that. The op was keen on reducing hash sound. It really helps to reduce it.

Regards.
Sarma vu3zmv

On Tue, 23 Jul 2019, 11:53 pm David Posthuma, <davep@...> wrote:

Sarma,

The IF-S is “IF Shift”, it is not a squelch unless a new firmware update has given this function dual modes somehow???

David A Posthuma, WD8PUO

1 (616) 283-7703

If you use kd8cec firmware, you have a facility "if-s"

Push if-s button and adjust the silder to minimum hash. All the best.

Sarma vu3zmv

On Tue, 23 Jul 2019, 8:16 pm , <K2CRR@...> wrote:

Maybe I have missed it, but has anyone devised a squelch circuit for the uBitx?  I often monitor a net for extended times and the constant "hash" is tiresome and I will eventually stop monitoring.

Tnx,

Bob - K2CRR

Okay, sorry for butting in.

David A Posthuma, WD8PUO

If you use kd8cec firmware, you have a facility "if-s"

Push if-s button and adjust the silder to minimum hash. All the best.

Sarma vu3zmv

On Tue, 23 Jul 2019, 8:16 pm , <K2CRR@...> wrote:

Maybe I have missed it, but has anyone devised a squelch circuit for the uBitx?  I often monitor a net for extended times and the constant "hash" is tiresome and I will eventually stop monitoring.

Tnx,

Bob - K2CRR

MVS Sarma

In continustion of my post, i humbly request to please go through kd8cec comments in link below.

Regards
Sarma vu3zmv

On Tue, 23 Jul 2019, 11:53 pm David Posthuma, <davep@...> wrote:

Sarma,

The IF-S is “IF Shift”, it is not a squelch unless a new firmware update has given this function dual modes somehow???

David A Posthuma, WD8PUO

1 (616) 283-7703

If you use kd8cec firmware, you have a facility "if-s"

Push if-s button and adjust the silder to minimum hash. All the best.

Sarma vu3zmv

On Tue, 23 Jul 2019, 8:16 pm , <K2CRR@...> wrote:

Maybe I have missed it, but has anyone devised a squelch circuit for the uBitx?  I often monitor a net for extended times and the constant "hash" is tiresome and I will eventually stop monitoring.

Tnx,

Bob - K2CRR

Wayne Leake

 A squelch is normally only used with FM, and sometimes AM.
 With SSB and CW, it cuts in and out way too much..
 Would require a delay circuit to make it practical at all, other than AM and FM.
 I have used transceivers since 1959 (FM taxi Service), and otherwise from early 1970s.
 I don't mind the noise. If it gets too much, its time for a break anyway.
  I'll add that squelch can be good with any reception that uses a constant carrier, but is not very goof with no continuous carrier.
Or maybe where you have a delay circuit and don't care about weak signals that can drop out at times
I rarely use the squelch on my Icom 706 MK II G, other than with FM.
Wayne WA2YNE

Tom, wb6b

My ancient Kenwood HF SSB transceiver has a squelch. The time it takes for the squelch to re-squelch the signal seems to be delayed the same amount as the AGC recovery setting.

The squelch on SSB is very touchy, between just squelching and squelching too much. However, it is great for the frequency the local club hangs out on. If a conversation starts up, one of the close by hams will break the squelch and I'll open it up so I can here what is going on with everyone near and far. Saves my ears from having to listen to static all day. Modern rigs may have better squelches.

Tom, wb6b

Gordon Gibby

​Thank you for that real-world input!   May I ask what band your group uses?

Gordon

My ancient Kenwood HF SSB transceiver has a squelch. The time it takes for the squelch to re-squelch the signal seems to be delayed the same amount as the AGC recovery setting.

The squelch on SSB is very touchy, between just squelching and squelching too much. However, it is great for the frequency the local club hangs out on. If a conversation starts up, one of the close by hams will break the squelch and I'll open it up so I can here what is going on with everyone near and far. Saves my ears from having to listen to static all day. Modern rigs may have better squelches.

Tom, wb6b

Robert D. Bowers

If I may add in on this conversation:

I would love to have squelch available on SSB - I use an external DSP noise filter I acquired on my BitX40 to make it more tolerable (and wish I had a working squelch on it).  I may eventually see if I can cobble together a working squelch circuit to add to my BitX - I have too many other projects going right now.

There are different types of noise... based on the audio spectrum.  Pink noise, white noise, and quantum noise are three I'm familiar with.  Quantum noise is what you get from a radio receiver (not white noise!).

Quantum noise is known to be especially irritating - a baby's cry is another form of that noise, and there are others (I think fingernails on a chalk board is also one).  We live in a noisy enough environment - having radio static hiss would just add to it (too much noise is bad for your health and hearing)!

Bob

N4FBZ

On 7/24/19 3:06 AM, Tom, wb6b wrote:
My ancient Kenwood HF SSB transceiver has a squelch. The time it takes for the squelch to re-squelch the signal seems to be delayed the same amount as the AGC recovery setting.

The squelch on SSB is very touchy, between just squelching and squelching too much. However, it is great for the frequency the local club hangs out on. If a conversation starts up, one of the close by hams will break the squelch and I'll open it up so I can here what is going on with everyone near and far. Saves my ears from having to listen to static all day. Modern rigs may have better squelches.

Tom, wb6b

Bob Fischer, Fischer Technical Services

I have also been using transceivers since the 1950s.
I do make regular use of squelch on both my IC-706M II Gs.  At home and in the mobile.
I use their squelch controls on SSB all the time.
Just writing to legitimize the gentleman's request for a simple squelch.  I would like to have one too.
I have tinkered with a PARALLEL combination of 2 diodes and a 500 Ohm potentiometer in series with one of the speaker wires.  Connect the diodes with opposite polarities (+ end of one to the - end of the other).  All three components in parallel.  At zero Ohms, the diodes are shorted out.  Not a real "squelch" circuit.  Audio is clipped and distorted by the diodes but the pot CAN be set to reduce noise and still hear strong stations while listening on a net frequency.  Volume control setting affects the setting of the 500 Ohm pot.  It did not work well enough for me to wire it in permanently.  I just turn the volume down low and enjoy the background music of the universe.
Bob  WB8BEL

 A squelch is normally only used with FM, and sometimes AM.
 With SSB and CW, it cuts in and out way too much..
 Would require a delay circuit to make it practical at all, other than AM and FM.
 I have used transceivers since 1959 (FM taxi Service), and otherwise from early 1970s.
 I don't mind the noise. If it gets too much, its time for a break anyway.
  I'll add that squelch can be good with any reception that uses a constant carrier, but is not very goof with no continuous carrier.
Or maybe where you have a delay circuit and don't care about weak signals that can drop out at times
I rarely use the squelch on my Icom 706 MK II G, other than with FM.
Wayne WA2YNE

John (vk2eta)

Bob,

The most effective squelch I know of for this purpose is a syllabic squelch which detects human voice and ignores static crashes and tones. They are built for example in the CODAN radios and in my experience are very effective.

I found a rather old schematic published in the 73 Magazine from August 1982. The design was by W9MKV and W9YAN and used four ICs (2 x TL084C, 1 x CD4047, 1 x LM339) and was titled "Smart" Squelch for SSB.

There is an eBay kit (no relation to me and not tested by me) that seems to use the same principle. It is labeled "VOS (Voice Operated Squelch) Audio Muting Kit Form" and is from Canada.

Hope that helps,

73, John (VK2ETA)

antonio diaz

On Wed, Jul 24, 2019 at 02:40 AM, Gordon Gibby wrote:
Thank you for that real-world input!   May I ask what band your group uses?
Hi Gordon,

We have a net on the weekend at 8 am pacific time on 75 meters. At that time of the day we have good coverage to our local group (in Southern California) as well as few additional hams in Arizona and Northern California. Throughout the day the 75 meter band generally works well for our local members.

75 meters has a fairly high background noise level here, none the less it has the right coverage for local and a few folks farther out.

Tom, wb6b

Lawrence Galea

On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 3:05 PM Tom, wb6b <wb6b@...> wrote:
On Wed, Jul 24, 2019 at 02:40 AM, Gordon Gibby wrote:
Thank you for that real-world input!   May I ask what band your group uses?
Hi Gordon,

We have a net on the weekend at 8 am pacific time on 75 meters. At that time of the day we have good coverage to our local group (in Southern California) as well as few additional hams in Arizona and Northern California. Throughout the day the 75 meter band generally works well for our local members.

75 meters has a fairly high background noise level here, none the less it has the right coverage for local and a few folks farther out.

Tom, wb6b

Gordon Gibby

Thank you for the information. I’ve toyed with trying to start a county net on 75 meters

On Fri, Jul 26, 2019 at 03:54 AM, Gordon Gibby wrote:
Thank you for the information. I’ve toyed with trying to start a county net on 75 meters
Since I mainly get on 75 for the local net, I've found a compromise antenna of 53 ft works well enough to hear and be heard by everyone on the net. It is good that hams wanting to be a part of a 75 meter net can do so without needing the room for a full sized antenna. A month ago, net control was managed portable from a local air show we had a booth at. Our net control operator managed to run the net with a short loaded dipole antenna. I think someone had to relay for one station, that day.

Before I bought the used Kenwood, I would check into the net with the uBitx. The AZ station had difficulty hearing me with only 10 watts. At times everyone heard me on the uBitx. The uBitx was one of the radios that got me back on the air after a fairly long absence.

Here is a description of the antenna I use. I bough their toroid kit (and a toroid for a common mode choke on the coax), hand wound the transformer and mounted it in a PVC conduit right angle coupler box from the local hardware store.

https://palomar-engineers.com/wp-content/uploads/End-Fed-Antenna-Secrets-San-Diego-hamfest-10062018-Update.pdf

Tom, wb6b

Gordon Gibby

Thanks for that presentation, I went through it it was excellent.   I think our club is still going to do a resonsnt end Fed project