Topics

sotabeams filter installation

dave

going to fit a sotabeams  cw filter to my ubitx v5 ,where can i insert this on the board (before lm386 amp) if any one has done this what tracks will i need to break into as i would ike to fit inside the case   many thanks dave c

howard winwood G4GPF

Hi,
The onboard LM386 is still used but I have taken the output to the input of the sotabeams filter, the sotabeams filter has two outputs so used the circuit provided by sotabeams (it is on their website) this new LM386 pzrovides the speaker output. The only problem is that you now have two volume pots, one sets the input of the filter so that the red led just starts flickering, the other sets the main volume.
Problem 2 was, no room in my case for a second 10k pot.
Problem 2 solved by AliExpress in the form of a dual 10k pot with separate coaxial shafts. made up a couple of knobs to fit, back one sets filter input, front one sets main volume. You can buy the pair of knobs but I had the facilities so made my own.
the track that needs to be broken is the audio out pin of the analogue connector on the front panel stereo socket board, this is the brown wire, the track goes to the phone socket.
take the audio output from the brown wire (now isolated) to the input of the sotabeams filter. the new speaker out from the second LM386 goes to the other side of the break i.e the phone socket.
mMy second lm386 was built on a piece of perf board 4.5cm by 2.5cm or 10 holes by 16 holes. The sotabeams filter sits in the bottom of a small plastic box 6cm * 5cm * 2.5cm, the amp board sits on top of the filter
with a piece of credit card plastic between the two. Just make sure the pushbutton on the filter board is not pressed.( i made a small cut out in the plastic!)
i used a spare 8 way wired connector that came with the enclosure box to plug onto the filter board, the other two pins 9 and 10 , 9 is not used 10 is another earth so not really needed, i used this pin to connect the two led's to ground. Sounds a lot worse than it is, I mounted the box as near the front panel, left side looking from front, as possible to keep the wiring short .
Howard G4GPF

Mike WA0YCN

Wouldn’t it work to insert it between audio connector for volume control high side and the control?

howard winwood G4GPF

I don't think the volume level would be high enough, I assume it was originally intended to be an add on to a rig that took it's input from the phone/speaker output then feeding a separate amp, hence two volume controls again. Trying to get it to work with just one vol control would reduce it's capabilities somewhat. Yes ! It would make installation much easier, but..............!

On Wed, 15 Jan 2020, 23:49 Mike WA0YCN, <mgassman@...> wrote:
Wouldn’t it work to insert it between audio connector for volume control high side and the control?

Mark GØNMY

There is a times 4 input gain setting on the sotabeams circuit. Its off by default, so there may be more gain to be had.

Mine is in an external housing so I can use it with my different rigs.

I also have the Vari unit which Ive not used yet,  I have just aquired a couple of oled displays so plan to utilise a display.

for it.

G0NMY's Blog

May the Morse be with you!

Dennis Zabawa

I have created an Arduino sketch and wiring diagram to utilize the LASERBEAM-VARI with an OLED display.  They are available for download on the SOTABEAMS website.

Dennis, KG4RUL

Joel Trenalone

Hello All,
thought I’d share my success with a simple hookup. There are several ways to hook this up, and this is one that I can verify works well  on the V5 board.

I removed r70 on the advise of a group member. I connected the AFIN on the sotabeams to the Q74 side of the removed r70, and connected the AFOUT (RB15) to the other pad of the removed resistor. I powered the sotabeams board from the recieve rail of the ubitx so it has no power during transmit. I installed the switch (between SSB/CW) and led and it works great.

Joel,
KD6AGW

Joel Trenalone

oh....I failed to mention in inserted a .1 uf cap in the line attached to AFOUT (RB15).

Dennis Zabawa

You could also use the SOTGABEAMS LASERBEAM-VARI and get the advantages of a variable passband.  You would need to mount the rotary encoder and the CF and BW LEDs on the uBITX panel for this to work.  SOTABEAMS LASERBEAM-VARI  ORDER PAGE

Dave Dixon

just ordered mine waiting for my V6 to arrive to fit it to.Dave G0AYD.