Topics

software update, Reed's code merged

Ashhar Farhan

Peeps,

I have done a bit of tweaking to the code of the version 6. the updated code is at https://github.com/afarhan/ubitxv6/
Here is what is new:
1. The 17 meters band now works, it was an oversight to have made a one line mistake in the code.
2. The display is now quite fast. It is a rewrite of the the display routines
3. Reed's momentum tuning has been added to the code.

Do download and test it.

Now, for the longer story...

The way display controller works is that it sets a 'window' within the 320x240 display and then you transfer all the bytes needed to be written to it. They are written to fill up the display left to right each line, from top to bottom.  Thus, if you wanted a letter that is 14 pixels high and 5 pixels across, you will open a window that is 14 by 5 and then transfer 70 pixels (of 16 bits each) to it.
The transfer function of the SPI library works such that it transfers a whole array at once. We don't have the luxury of memory to store a whole array of the screen, hence, we were doing something silly.

We were defining each pixel to be a 1x1 tiny window and painting it with the colour that we needed. Thus, a line that was 320 pixles across needed to draw 320 pixels, one at a time. SLOW!!

The new code snips the drawing into smaller segments of about 64 pixels at a time and transfers them in blocks. the code to fill rectangular blocks is in quickFill and the displayChar.

That apart, Reed's excellent code for better tuning has also been merged. I briefly tested it to work well with the CAT on wsjtx. That's always a big worry. it seems to work quite well.

73, f

Reed N

Ashhar,

Great to see some of these improvements make their way back into the official repo! I'll take a look this weekend.

I also want to give a shout-out to Mark (aka Smitty) who did the interrupt-based encoder piece of the tuning code.

Reed

MVS Sarma

You had this type tuning even with  potentiometer tuning. As a concept of fast and slow tune, we used to wonder at that concept.   I remember people not liking those days.
As time changes fashions and passions do change. 🙏 Farhan.

Sarma vu3zmv

On Fri, 24 Jan 2020, 12:54 pm Ashhar Farhan, <farhanbox@...> wrote:
[...]

Gordon Gibby

Excellent!

On Jan 24, 2020, at 02:24, Ashhar Farhan <farhanbox@...> wrote:

[...]

It took me about 1 minute to incorporate the tuning code. It was fabulously simply written.
I did a fresh coding of the text and filling code. Back in those days it was called bitblt-ing (bit block transfers).

On Fri 24 Jan, 2020, 2:37 PM Gordon Gibby, <docvacuumtubes@...> wrote:
[...]

GM4CID

Farhan, a little comment, selecting USB/LSB on the screen does not immediately change the clock output until after a press of ptt.

Mick

If there is a .hex compiled version of this I’ll test it as well.
Thanks

73
Mick VA3EPM

Neil k8it

Asher
Can you make an updated version that has these changes and the Morse’s code feedback turned on and add Reeds updated function that displays the calibration values?
I am totally blind and could use these features. Also can you make a hex file available. Reed did this the other day before you made these changes and I would like to have one version. That I need to track as you make more changes in the future.
Thanks
73 Neil k8it

On Jan 24, 2020, at 3:26 AM, Reed N <greenkid336600+groupsio@...> wrote:

Ashhar,

Great to see some of these improvements make their way back into the official repo! I'll take a look this weekend.

I also want to give a shout-out to Mark (aka Smitty) who did the interrupt-based encoder piece of the tuning code.

Reed

V Zecchinelli

Thank you Ashhar.  Is this new version used on all new V6 orders now?  I want to order a V6 but am waiting for bugs to settle down.
Thanks 73 Vince N1VIN

On 1/24/2020 2:24 AM, Ashhar Farhan wrote:
[...]

Yes, we didn't ship any V6 until now because of these changes in software. the kits are going out today and tomorrow. the upgrading process for the V6s shipped in December is quite smooth too. A plain vanilla Arduino software is all you need.

- f

On Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 9:47 PM V Zecchinelli <n1vin@...> wrote:
[...]

Neil.
I am not yet satisfied with the morse reading. Give it another few days and I will finish it. the blindfold tests were not very satisfactory. Especially when it comes to homing to a certain frequency.
- farhan

On Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 9:12 PM Neil k8it <k8it@...> wrote:
[...]

Richard Spohn

Ashhar, I am making purchase decisions based on your excellent demos
on Youtube. Will you be posting a demo of the new, improved software
v6 soon? Thanks - Rich WB2GXM

Andy_501

Just loaded files from github @  https://github.com/afarhan/ubitxv6/  I got it into arduino IDE and on a verify/compile before uploading came up with a whack of errors.  Where to begin looking?

On 2020-01-24 11:52, Ashhar Farhan wrote:
[...]

Philip

Hi Andy.
Here is the compiled HEX file
Philip

Smitty, KR6ZY

Great news. When I get a moment, I’ll reflash from Farhan’s master branch. Looking forward to it!

-Mark

On Jan 24, 2020, at 12:27 AM, Reed N <greenkid336600+groupsio@...> wrote:

Ashhar,

Great to see some of these improvements make their way back into the official repo! I'll take a look this weekend.

I also want to give a shout-out to Mark (aka Smitty) who did the interrupt-based encoder piece of the tuning code.

Reed

Smitty, KR6ZY

What version of Arduino? I saw some people note that older versions didn’t compile it correctly.

Make sure you have the correct board selected: Arduino Nano.

-Mark

On 2020-01-24 11:52, Ashhar Farhan wrote:
[...]

<ubitx_V6.1codeERRORS on compile.txt>

Steve Sawicki

OK I have kept quiet until now..... A bid pissed to say the least at the statment
" the upgrading process for the V6s shipped in December is quite smooth too. A plain vanilla Arduino software is all you need"
I STRONGLY believe that Ashhar needs to provide a step by step fully illustrated process for how to perform the process, now I have to find plain vanilla Arduino software and do what with it???
I believed in the V6 project I put my monies up front and I guess that got me the big shaft I guess that the statement was correct, "it was rushed to get the monies" .
Never Again!
Steve
AB2ET

Smitty, KR6ZY

Well, that’s a bit aggressive isn’t it?

The uBitX is a radio to be hacked on and tweaked, it’s not an appliance. It’s no surprise that there will be updates over time. Nothing was “rushed for the moneys.”

I agree that some step-by-step instructions would be a good idea. It’s the best way to make a hacking community more inclusive of beginners, and not exclusive to those who already have the skills. I’m in InfoSec, we have the same problem there.

Having said that, attacking the people you’re asking for help is not likely to get you what you need.

I’m not in a position right now to write anything up. But I can suggest you look for an Arduino IDE tutorial online somewhere: google, YouTube, whatever format you prefer. Once you know how to load an Arduino program (sometimes called a Sketch) onto an Arduino, then loading Farhan’s code is the same process. This is a uBitX community, not an Arduino community. Hence the assumption that most people already have that skill, or can get it elsewhere.

The unique-to-uBitX knowledge you need is:
- Set the board type to Arduino Nano
- Make sure you’re using a recent version of Arduino. I’ve seen some people have problems with older versions. I use 1.8.9 and it works fine.

Otherwise, the process is an Arduino process, not a uBitX process.

Good luck! If you find a good tutorial, please post it here; I’m sure others would like to read it too.

-Mark

On Jan 24, 2020, at 8:51 PM, Steve Sawicki via Groups.Io <ab2et@...> wrote:

OK I have kept quiet until now..... A bid pissed to say the least at the statment
" the upgrading process for the V6s shipped in December is quite smooth too. A plain vanilla Arduino software is all you need"
I STRONGLY believe that Ashhar needs to provide a step by step fully illustrated process for how to perform the process, now I have to find plain vanilla Arduino software and do what with it???
I believed in the V6 project I put my monies up front and I guess that got me the big shaft I guess that the statement was correct, "it was rushed to get the monies" .
Never Again!
Steve
AB2ET

Ashhar Farhan

We use Arduino because there is support for it. If you spend a minute looking at vidoes to upload sketchs to arduino, it will save you the misery.
1. You don't HAVE to upload. There are no new features. Just that the display and tuning works better.
2. Just like we dont have a tutor on soldering, we don't discuss how to upload on arduino..the reason i stuck yo arduino was so that the arduino website as well as the large amounts of videos available make it very easy to learn it.

In the future more and more homebrewing will demand familiarity with uploading software. Spend a few minutes on youtube and learn it.

- f

On Jan 24, 2020, at 8:51 PM, Steve Sawicki via Groups.Io <ab2et=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

OK I have kept quiet until now..... A bid pissed to say the least at the statment
" the upgrading process for the V6s shipped in December is quite smooth too. A plain vanilla Arduino software is all you need"
I STRONGLY believe that Ashhar needs to provide a step by step fully illustrated process for how to perform the process, now I have to find plain vanilla Arduino software and do what with it???
I believed in the V6 project I put my monies up front and I guess that got me the big shaft I guess that the statement was correct, "it was rushed to get the monies" .
Never Again!
Steve
AB2ET

Christopher Miller

I was resisting responding to this, but since Farnham has. I wish the people slandering hfsignals would do their homework BEFORE spending money. There is no reason to complain if they don’t have have the foresight to ask if they need basic computer skills, or want a off the shelf rig.

Yelling about having to get free tools to program a microcontroller seems childish.  Also not using google before they yell is silly.

Hopefully after I catch up with my bills I can get one of these kits.

KF4FTR