Topics

"sketchy"

@KF4ZGZ

So I am a total noob to arduino stuff. But I did want to upgrade the software to and upload KD8CEC sketch.
I watched Ashar's video,a few others and read a few how to and set off.
Using my newest computer, the shack desk top, I failed, several times. The IDE didn't work.
I decided to try xloader and hex. Nope, not today bobo.
So I tried my laptop. It's a good, powerful, fast laptop.
Guess what? Nope. Nada.
I eventually dug out my 14 yr. Dell laptop out of desperation.
Xloader didn't work.
I went to the IDE ... it immediately told me I need the ch340 ( or whatever the specific USB driver is) that neither new 'puter told me about.
10 minutes later my V6.1 is purring along with CEC hex loaded!
YAY ME! Another small victory!

Arv Evans

Earlier TTY-to-USB adapters used an older FTDI IC for the conversion.  That design
is still available but most newer units use the CH340 IC which is less expensive,
Most UNIX based operating systems (Linux, OS-X, BSD, etc.) are already CH340
capable, but Windows usually needs a CH340 specific driver installed.

Arv K7HKL
_._

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 3:19 AM <Lizooki@...> wrote:
So I am a total noob to arduino stuff. But I did want to upgrade the software to and upload KD8CEC sketch.
I watched Ashar's video,a few others and read a few how to and set off.
Using my newest computer, the shack desk top, I failed, several times. The IDE didn't work.
I decided to try xloader and hex. Nope, not today bobo.
So I tried my laptop. It's a good, powerful, fast laptop.
Guess what? Nope. Nada.
I eventually dug out my 14 yr. Dell laptop out of desperation.
Xloader didn't work.
I went to the IDE ... it immediately told me I need the ch340 ( or whatever the specific USB driver is) that neither new 'puter told me about.
10 minutes later my V6.1 is purring along with CEC hex loaded!
YAY ME! Another small victory!

Rick Walker

Hi KF4ZGZ,

I have a very recent ubitx v6 running the stock 6.1 software with the 2.8" TFT.  I tried to get the KD8CEC sketch to work, but after trying all the display settings available, I could only get a blank white screen after the update.  Since none of the settings mention the TFT and the code never refers to anything beyond v5, I concluded that the KD8CEC wouldn't work on a new version.

I found another port at https://github.com/reedbn/ubitxv6/.  This one compiled just fine and plays with the 2.8 TFT.

What .h file settings did you use to get the CEC working on your rig?  Do you have the 2.8 TFT?

I'm doing everything using the Arduino IDE 1.8.12 on linux.

kind regards,
--
Rick Walker
WB6GVI

Evan Hand

Here is a file on how to use the KD8CEC software with the v6 ubitx.  You doneed to change out the screen, as the KD8CEC software does not work with the stock screen.  If you want touch and graphics, then the 2.8" Nextion screen can be made to fit in the stock case with the other version 6 boards.  Here is a pdf file that explains what was done:

FWIW
73
Evan
AC9TU

@KF4ZGZ

The hex I loaded was the one Reed posted in message # 75440.
I still have the stock screen and it works fine.
My next step it to get a better mic going ..... just waiting on plugs to arrive.
After that. I'm going to add a new screen. I'm going to go with the biggest that will fit in the
full kit box without hacking out the box ..... and see where happens from there.