Topics

Shipping uBITX Radios Built With Universal Metal Cases

Bob Fischer, Fischer Technical Services

I recently purchased a V5 uBITX that had been assembled in a metal enclosure like those marketed as Universal Cases by amateurradiokits.in.

There's nothing wrong with the enclosures.  I have other uBITX radios in them.

This particular radio was shipped from Michigan to Florida.  As soon as I opened the box, I could hear something rattling around inside the case.  It turned out to be the relatively-heavy speaker.

Despite an excellent job of packing the radio, the speaker had escaped the two clips used to secure it to the top of the enclosure.

Wiring was hanging loose.   A soldered connector was broken off and a copper trace had been pulled loose from the board.   At least one resistor was broken.  I may find more damage after these problems are fixed.

The moral of this story is:  You should not depend on those clips holding the speaker to keep it in place during rough handling.

My recommendation is to pull the speaker out of the cabinet before shipment.  Unfortunately, I speak from experience.

73
Bob
WB8BEL

Bill Cromwell

Hi,

When we used to ship tube radios (does anybody remember those?) we bulled the tubes and sent them separately - for the same reason. The more things change the more they stay the same.

73,

Bill  KU8H