Topics

shielding enclosure

Kit Peters

As I've discussed previously, I'm putting my uBITX into a plastic Harbor Freight ammo can. Should I try and shield this enclosure from EMI? If so, is there a benefit to using aluminum screen (which I bought a roll of to tie my gutters together electrically) versus copper tape? I can see how the copper tape might be easier to work with, but I've already sunk a lot of money and time into this thing and would rather use what I've got if possible. :)

73 de W0KEH

--
Kit Peters, W0KEH
GPG public key fingerpint: D4FF AA62 AFEA 83D6 CC98 ACE5 6FAE 7E74 7F56 ED1D

Gordon Gibby

Geewhiz, I would use aluminum foil.  If you have any construction adhesive, smear it on the inside and then just stick the aluminum foil to it. Connect a few ground wires to it using packing tape and call it good. All it Has to be is conductive come on the radio waves can’t tell how expensive it was!

On Oct 5, 2020, at 13:18, Kit Peters <popefelix@...> wrote:

As I've discussed previously, I'm putting my uBITX into a plastic Harbor Freight ammo can. Should I try and shield this enclosure from EMI? If so, is there a benefit to using aluminum screen (which I bought a roll of to tie my gutters together electrically) versus copper tape? I can see how the copper tape might be easier to work with, but I've already sunk a lot of money and time into this thing and would rather use what I've got if possible. :)

73 de W0KEH

--
Kit Peters, W0KEH
GPG public key fingerpint: D4FF AA62 AFEA 83D6 CC98 ACE5 6FAE 7E74 7F56 ED1D
Hello to any and all NSA, DEA, or other government or non-government agents reading this email.  Tell me about your life; I'll tell you about mine.

VE3MIC

Get a roll of aluminum duct tape -the kind that used for sealing joints on furnace ductwork..  It's fairly heavy(thick) aluminum foil and is really sticky.  It's not expensive, and can be found at just about any hardware or D.I.Y. Big Box store such as Lowes or Home Depot. One roll is just about a lifetime supply for most of us :) The only downside is that you cant solder to it directly
73 de Mike  VE3MIC

Dave Dixon

Hi Kit,
         I built my ubitx into an excellway plastic case and use the radio like this to this day i've never found the need to faff about with foil etc and never had any trouble at all after 3 years my bitx runs 15 wats 0n 80-40 drops down to 7 watts on 10 mtrs.Regards Dave G0AY.D. QRZ .COM.

On Mon, 5 Oct 2020 at 18:18, Kit Peters <popefelix@...> wrote:
As I've discussed previously, I'm putting my uBITX into a plastic Harbor Freight ammo can. Should I try and shield this enclosure from EMI? If so, is there a benefit to using aluminum screen (which I bought a roll of to tie my gutters together electrically) versus copper tape? I can see how the copper tape might be easier to work with, but I've already sunk a lot of money and time into this thing and would rather use what I've got if possible. :)

73 de W0KEH

--
Kit Peters, W0KEH
GPG public key fingerpint: D4FF AA62 AFEA 83D6 CC98 ACE5 6FAE 7E74 7F56 ED1D
Hello to any and all NSA, DEA, or other government or non-government agents reading this email.  Tell me about your life; I'll tell you about mine.

Gordon Gibby

That is also a great idea.

On Oct 5, 2020, at 14:25, VE3MIC via groups.io <ve3mic@...> wrote:

Get a roll of aluminum duct tape -the kind that used for sealing joints on furnace ductwork..  It's fairly heavy(thick) aluminum foil and is really sticky.  It's not expensive, and can be found at just about any hardware or D.I.Y. Big Box store such as Lowes or Home Depot. One roll is just about a lifetime supply for most of us :) The only downside is that you cant solder to it directly
73 de Mike  VE3MIC

Curt

Kit

I suggest trying it without shielding. Don't ask how many times I took my v4 apart, I don't know. See if it works for you as is. As mentioned before, just a short run of coax to the antenna connector may be enough.

73 curt

Olivier Grand

Hello Kit
I used Graphit Spray for plastic enclosures, works fine
Regards
Olivier

Le lun. 5 oct. 2020 à 19:18, Kit Peters <popefelix@...> a écrit :
As I've discussed previously, I'm putting my uBITX into a plastic Harbor Freight ammo can. Should I try and shield this enclosure from EMI? If so, is there a benefit to using aluminum screen (which I bought a roll of to tie my gutters together electrically) versus copper tape? I can see how the copper tape might be easier to work with, but I've already sunk a lot of money and time into this thing and would rather use what I've got if possible. :)

73 de W0KEH

--
Kit Peters, W0KEH
GPG public key fingerpint: D4FF AA62 AFEA 83D6 CC98 ACE5 6FAE 7E74 7F56 ED1D
Hello to any and all NSA, DEA, or other government or non-government agents reading this email.  Tell me about your life; I'll tell you about mine.

KC2UKU ED

The easy way is to buy a metal 50cal can before storing it go around the top with aluminum duct tape...2 you paint it any color you like I will have 3 of them, 1for bitx v5, 1 for a leixen VV-898 dual band VHF/UHF radio with a homebrew WolphiLink (in the works That a way to used a old cell phone)and the other 1 is going to a for a batter box with 3 or 4 batteries it each box will have a battery in it SLA or maybe a 18650 pack....
--
ED W2ELM

KC2UKU ED

and you can get metal Harbor Freight ammo can to
--
ED W2ELM

Brian L. Davis

You can't solder to aluminum because it oxidizes upon exposure to air.
An old trick is to place a drop or two of oil on the aluminum then scrape through the oil.
The oil prevents the aluminum from oxidizing.
Take a hot iron, flux the tip and plunge it and your solder through the oil to the aluminum.
The aluminum without the oxidation will take solder.
73
Brian WA5RDG

Kit Peters

How do you cut holes in those? The thought of trying to cut a square hole for the display with a hacksaw is not appealing. :D

On Tue, Oct 6, 2020 at 7:26 AM KC2UKU ED <kc2uku@...> wrote:
and you can get metal Harbor Freight ammo can to
--
ED W2ELM

--
Kit Peters, W0KEH
GPG public key fingerpint: D4FF AA62 AFEA 83D6 CC98 ACE5 6FAE 7E74 7F56 ED1D
Hello to any and all NSA, DEA, or other government or non-government agents reading this email.  Tell me about your life; I'll tell you about mine.

TD

On October 6, 2020 10:12:01 AM "Kit Peters" <popefelix@...> wrote:

How do you cut holes in those? The thought of trying to cut a square hole for the display with a hacksaw is not appealing. :D

On Tue, Oct 6, 2020 at 7:26 AM KC2UKU ED <kc2uku@...> wrote:
and you can get metal Harbor Freight ammo can to
--
ED W2ELM

--
Kit Peters, W0KEH
GPG public key fingerpint: D4FF AA62 AFEA 83D6 CC98 ACE5 6FAE 7E74 7F56 ED1D
Hello to any and all NSA, DEA, or other government or non-government agents reading this email.  Tell me about your life; I'll tell you about mine.

Dj Merrill

On 10/6/2020 10:11 AM, Kit Peters wrote:
How do you cut holes in those? The thought of trying to cut a square hole for the display with a hacksaw is not appealing. :D

Drill a pilot hole in each corner.

Use a dremel cutting tool or nibbling tool to cut between the holes.

Use small files to finish to the proper size and smooth it up.

-Dj

--
Dj Merrill - N1JOV - EAA Chapter 87
Currently Flying: Glastar

Gordon Gibby

Thank you so much for providing that link! I have always wondered where to get one of these

I just cut a 3/8 inch hole in the corners and then take a fine tooth metal saber saw blade and try not to make a complete mess of it cutting between the edges.

You can build a bezel out of plastic or cardboard to cover up the mess; but I’m more into operating and building then perfect finish.

Thanks again for that link I will order one
Gordon

On Oct 6, 2020, at 10:53, TD <dlee@...> wrote:

Use one of these

Darrell Lee