Topics

Seeed Xiao microcontroller--Opps, wrong button

Jack, W8TEE

All:

I just got the Seeed Xiao microcontroller and was anxious to try it out. Unfortunately, I did not have a type C USB cable, which it uses, so off to Walmart. I installed a small library that's available for it, plug it into the Arduino IDE and loaded Blink and it worked perfectly. I also compiled and ran the ASCII table example, no problem. The reason I mention it is because it runs on 3.3V, and has these features:
  • ARM® Cortex®-M0+ 32bit 48MHz microcontroller(SAMD21G18) with 256KB Flash,32KB SRAM
  • Flexible compatibility: Compatible with Arduino IDE
  • Easy project operation: Breadboard-friendly
  • Small size: As small as a thumb(20x17.5mm) for wearable devices and small projects.
  • Multiple development interfaces: 11 digital/analog pins, 10 PWM Pins, 1 DAC output, 1 SWD Bonding pad interface, 1 I2C interface, 1 UART interface, 1 SPI interface.
This is a picture of mine:

Inline image

The cost is about $5. I think it might be very useful for portable stuff. I think I read somewhere that, of the 32k of SRAM, the Arduino IDE can only use 8K. Still, it's 4x as fast as the Nano with 4x the SRAM and clock speed. Looks interesting.

Jack, W8TEE

--
Jack, W8TEE

Christopher Miller

Neat

KF4FTR

Dean Souleles

Jack,

Very cool! Good find.  Great form factor - truly thumbnail sized.  Should make for some interesting builds.

The I2C interface means it should be easy to work directly with the SI 5351 board and I2C displays.  Definitely worth experimenting with.  It will be interesting to see if I can get it working with my radio control sketches.   Looks like it will be fun to build with.

Dean

Jack, W8TEE

I'm finding that the SPI TFT interface is easier to work with. When I get this book done, I have a couple of things I'd like to try with this guy.

Jack, W8TEE

On Tuesday, August 11, 2020, 8:21:08 PM EDT, Dean Souleles <dsouleles@...> wrote:

Jack,

Very cool! Good find.  Great form factor - truly thumbnail sized.  Should make for some interesting builds.

The I2C interface means it should be easy to work directly with the SI 5351 board and I2C displays.  Definitely worth experimenting with.  It will be interesting to see if I can get it working with my radio control sketches.   Looks like it will be fun to build with.

Dean

--
Jack, W8TEE

Dean Souleles

Excellent find - I just ordered a couple.  I am always amazed at the whole world of things I never new existed.  Seeed has a whole wireless development board system with a bunch of plug in modules.

Yes - the SPI TFT is pretty straightforward to use.   I need to settle on a "something" and get my rig off the plywood into an enclosure.

Dean