#sbitx upgrade kit 2 is on the way #sBitx

Ashhar Farhan

Peeps,
Sorry for the inordinate delay. We were awaiting a shipment from Mouser that too days to arrive with IRFZ24Ns.
The upgrade kit will be picked up by the courier tomorrow and everyone who has an sbitx will receive the kit in about 2 weeks from now.
You can see the instructions (updated and tested on five boards) at

- f

KB3UUL

Ashhar,
The instructions look great.

Thank you,
Phil

Evan Hand

Farhan,

On the sBitx that I received, there is a 2n7000 MOSFET soldered on the underside of the main board.  I have not been able to find it on the schematics.  Is it required?  If so, the schematic should be updated.  Here is a picture I took before I removed it when it was blown with my failed software-based sequencing mode:

73
Evan
AC9TU

Gordon Gibby

At first glance, this looks great!    Thanks very much will be waiting to get this done over the Christmas holidays here.   In 5.2 you use the word "scrap"  whereas in American-eze I think it would be "scrape"   to scrape off a bit of masking.

Looks very "do-able" to me.    I'll be excited to get back to work on it after spending a lot of time working with VARA-C and VHF digipeating and helping members of our group figure out soundcard systems......

Gordon  KX4Z

On Mon, Nov 28, 2022 at 9:51 AM Ashhar Farhan <farhanbox@...> wrote:
Peeps,
Sorry for the inordinate delay. We were awaiting a shipment from Mouser that too days to arrive with IRFZ24Ns.
The upgrade kit will be picked up by the courier tomorrow and everyone who has an sbitx will receive the kit in about 2 weeks from now.
You can see the instructions (updated and tested on five boards) at

- f

ajparent1/kb1gmx

Evan,

pet peve, schematis do not match the board.

the 2n7000 is the complment of the pmos switch that ensbles +12 to the tx bias. The nmos part is used to rapidly pull that line to ground.

It was discussed maybe 3 months ago.

--
Allison
------------------

Evan Hand

Allison,

Thank you for responding.  I did remember the discussion.  That was before the latest announced changes to the TR switching.   I was checking to make sure the 2n7000 was still needed.  Per the prior information provided, I thought it was still a good thing to have.

Maybe Farhan will update the schematic with both of us commenting.

As always, I appreciate all of the free knowledge that you share.  It helps me learn more about RF circuits and RF design.

73
Evan
AC9TU

Farhan,

Does this mean that those of us that paid for one of the Developers edition but never received it pending the fix will be getting ours soon?

Joel
N6ALT

Ashhar Farhan

Joel,
The ones not yet shipped will be shipped with the updates applied. They should go out this week as well.
- farhan

On Mon, Nov 28, 2022 at 11:00 PM Joel Caulkins/N6ALT <caulktel@...> wrote:
Farhan,

Does this mean that those of us that paid for one of the Developers edition but never received it pending the fix will be getting ours soon?

Joel
N6ALT

Ashhar Farhan

I am hoping to get direwolf going soon on sbitx, gordon.
- f

On Mon, Nov 28, 2022 at 9:13 PM Gordon Gibby <docvacuumtubes@...> wrote:
[...]

Vince Loschiavo

Ashhar,
No need to apologize for any delay..as long as we end up with the phenomenal rig that was planned at the beginning!

thank you
Vince
n2aie

Richard E Neese

When is there a new release planned I want to order the dev unit

On Nov 28, 2022, at 10:43, Gordon Gibby <docvacuumtubes@...> wrote:

[...]

I want a unit for dire wolf and js8call. As a deaf ham they would do me good
But need a sbitx  dev kit

On Nov 28, 2022, at 13:53, Vince Loschiavo <vince320@...> wrote:

Ashhar,
No need to apologize for any delay..as long as we end up with the phenomenal rig that was planned at the beginning!

thank you
Vince
n2aie

Bob Losee KO9V

Looks carefully designed but maybe beyond my hardware abilities.   I’ll probably wait until the newer version of the radio board is for sale and I’ll purchase that.   As a software geek, looking forward to the software manipulation.
Bob

ajparent1/kb1gmx

Evan,

Even with all the switching fixes that was one that was there from the
start and should be.  If a switched section is not forced to a known state
you get pings and pops.

But yes the poor schematics must be updated.

Allison
------------------
Please use the forum, offline and private will go to bit bucket.

Ashhar Farhan

Thanks for reminding me. The 2N7000 was added to quickly discharge the tx power line to power down the PA when the transmission ceases. I will update the circuit to include that.
- f

On Tue, Nov 29, 2022, 5:22 AM ajparent1/kb1gmx <kb1gmx@...> wrote:
Evan,

Even with all the switching fixes that was one that was there from the
start and should be.  If a switched section is not forced to a known state
you get pings and pops.

But yes the poor schematics must be updated.

Allison
------------------
Please use the forum, offline and private will go to bit bucket.

n8yg

Looking forward to the update. Things were going to fast for met to keep up with and I'm still working on the uBITX V5 LOL.

John Terrell, N6LN

Has anyone received an upgrade kit yet?

KB3UUL

No, nothing here yet. Unit 135.
I am looking forward to getting it.

Phil KB3UUL

On Fri, Dec 16, 2022, 4:23 PM John Terrell, N6LN <N6LN@...> wrote:
Has anyone received an upgrade kit yet?

Gerald Sherman

No second kit here.  I got the 1st kit (5V switching regulator & 2 new output transistors) quite a while ago.

Gerry

Sent by the Linux Thunderbird

On 2022-12-16 21:23, John Terrell, N6LN wrote:

Has anyone received an upgrade kit yet?

Scott KE8KYP

No delivery, yet.  Probably still in transit but the question is: were they shipped?