Topics

Replacing SMD component

Christopher Miller

Hello,

I just wanted to jump in and say thank the group for all the ideas. The one with the toothpick and putty etc was great. I have tweezers but my hands shake a lot and I suspect that will work for me.

Thanks for the help,
Chris
KF4FTR

Skip Davis

Yes go with the toothpick idea because tweezers can act like launch control if you squeeze too hard, ask me how I know. :(

Skip Davis, NC9O

On Sep 9, 2020, at 16:28, Christopher Miller <djmalak2k6@...> wrote:

Hello,

I just wanted to jump in and say thank the group for all the ideas. The one with the toothpick and putty etc was great. I have tweezers but my hands shake a lot and I suspect that will work for me.

Thanks for the help,
Chris
KF4FTR

R. Tyson

I soldered in the replacement for Q90 this afternoon. Boy was that fiddly. Lost one as it fell on the floor while trying to work out how to get them out of the bandolier type strip they came in. Next one I got out safely onto a tray. Picked it up with tweezers and placed it on the pads. Just needed a little tweak so it was centred on all 3 pads. A slight touch with a pointed cocktail stick... damn too far. Second cocktail stick brought into play.... a bit of cursing and it was in position. It was easy to hold it in place with one of the cocktail sticks.
Legs soldered. Job inspected. Rig turned on. Breath held... woo hoo it was transmitting again.

I will no longer live in fear of having to replace technologically advanced specks of dust.

Reg       G4NFR

Evan Hand

Reg,
DOUBLE congratulations!

1 for fixing your rig
1 for successful SMD repair.

It took me 2 drops and multiple slips until I got the hang of the SMD soldering.
73
Evan
AC9TU

Jonas Sanamon

Congrats on job well done!!

Cheers,
Jonas - SM4VEY

10 sep. 2020 kl. 20:51 skrev R. Tyson via groups.io <tysons2@...>:

I soldered in the replacement for Q90 this afternoon. Boy was that fiddly. Lost one as it fell on the floor while trying to work out how to get them out of the bandolier type strip they came in. Next one I got out safely onto a tray. Picked it up with tweezers and placed it on the pads. Just needed a little tweak so it was centred on all 3 pads. A slight touch with a pointed cocktail stick... damn too far. Second cocktail stick brought into play.... a bit of cursing and it was in position. It was easy to hold it in place with one of the cocktail sticks.
Legs soldered. Job inspected. Rig turned on. Breath held... woo hoo it was transmitting again.

I will no longer live in fear of having to replace technologically advanced specks of dust.

Reg       G4NFR

Gordon Gibby

HOORAY FOR YOU!!!!!

On Sep 10, 2020, at 16:21, Jonas Sanamon <sanamon@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Evan.
Many thanks to you for all the good info. you give out on here.
The voltage table for various transistors that was posted and specifically the voltages to be found on Q90 were a great help.

73's

Reg          G4NFR

Lawrence Galea

Congratulations.
I also use a toothpick and paper glue stick.
I just ut the toothpick point in the stick, then on the component and put it in place
Regards
Lawrence

On Fri, Sep 11, 2020 at 8:33 PM R. Tyson via groups.io <tysons2=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Evan.
Many thanks to you for all the good info. you give out on here.
The voltage table for various transistors that was posted and specifically the voltages to be found on Q90 were a great help.

73's

Reg          G4NFR

R. Tyson

Hi Lawrence,
Using a toothpick and a glue stick to handle an smd component is a good tip. I will remember that one.

Thanks,

Reg         G4NFR