Topics

Replacing BNC with SO-239

Scott

I have the v6 full kit with case.   I'd like to simply my cabling going forward and replace the BNC with a SO-239 connector.   I understand how this works electrically/RF-wise but I'm not sure what the best plan is to securely connect to the board/case and still be able to remove the board from the case.

I probably just need to see a pic of how someone did it right.

Thanks!

Kelly Mabry

Scott,
I'm thinking the same thing.  Two things to recommend,  and others chime in please.

The first thing would be to use a so239 panel mount with a nut much like the bnc connector in case you need to remove the back panel for servicing the finals.
Second that means drilling out the panel hole to so239 size ...
Lastly I would use as much of the existing board to bnc connection as I could (center pin connection). I am a little unsure but I believe its center pin connection of the bnc to the pcb can be snipped and then soldered to the so239.

Thanks & 73,

Kelly KD5AJ

Use a BNC male to SO239 female adapter. Always keep a bunch handy.

Raj

At 26/02/2021, you wrote:
Scott,
I'm thinking the same thing. Two things to recommend, and others chime in please.

The first thing would be to use a so239 panel mount with a nut much like the bnc connector in case you need to remove the back panel for servicing the finals.
Second that means drilling out the panel hole to so239 size ...
Lastly I would use as much of the existing board to bnc connection as I could (center pin connection). I am a little unsure but I believe its center pin connection of the bnc to the pcb can be snipped and then soldered to the so239.

Thanks & 73,

Kelly KD5AJ

_Dave_ AD0B

I had a an early failure with a bnc and wanted to use the same connector as on my other radios. so put in a plate style so239. There is a short jumper that plugs into the board so in the rare case, removal is easy. The plate only really needs two of the four screws.
Dave
ADOB
Raduino bracket and Ham_Made_Keys

Evan Hand

Scott,

There is the original antenna header connection still on the board.  You could remove the BNC and mount the plate type of SO239 above where the BNC is now.  You could also try leaving the BNC connected, and just add the SO239 above it.  I would recommend that you pull the SO239 jumper when you do this, as there might be a significant amount of RF inside the case without the load connected to the SO239.  I have not tried this, so would be curious about your results if you do go that route.

73
Evan
AC9TU

Skip Davis

Kelly you can use a flange mounted SO239 you just need to use a step drill bit to open the BNC hole and bolt it on the inside of the panel. There are two screw flange mount SO239s available and I use these often and have a few in my parts bins.

Skip Davis, NC9O

_Dave_ AD0B

Evan
Is that point marked on your photo with a 6, the connection to the antenna.
Dave
ADOB
Raduino bracket and Ham_Made_Keys

Evan Hand

Dave,

That is correct, point 6 is the original antenna connection for the radios pre v6.  It was kept on the v6 board.  HFSignals has been really good about backward compatibility.

73
Evan
AC9TU

Bob Lunsford

Also, a spot of super-glue would make the adapter a bit more permanent without going into the V6 board. I think I will do it this way.

At 26/02/2021, you wrote:
>Scott,
>I'm thinking the same thing.  Two things to recommend,  and others chime in please.
>
>The first thing would be to use a so239 panel mount with a nut much like the bnc connector in case you need to remove the back panel for servicing the finals.
>Second that means drilling out the panel hole to so239 size ...
>Lastly I would use as much of the existing board to bnc connection as I could (center pin connection). I am a little unsure but I believe its center pin connection of the bnc to the pcb can be snipped and then soldered to the so239.
>
>Thanks & 73,
>
>Kelly KD5AJ

Doug W

On Fri, Feb 26, 2021 at 10:22 AM, Bob Lunsford wrote:
Also, a spot of super-glue would make the adapter a bit more permanent without going into the V6 board. I think I will do it this way.
hot melt glue is significantly easier to remove

--
www.bitxmap.com

Bob Lunsford

You are right. Gives more flexibility if there is a change of mind. Thanks.

Bob — KK5R

On Friday, February 26, 2021, 11:24:49 AM EST, Doug W <dougwilner@...> wrote:

On Fri, Feb 26, 2021 at 10:22 AM, Bob Lunsford wrote:
Also, a spot of super-glue would make the adapter a bit more permanent without going into the V6 board. I think I will do it this way.
hot melt glue is significantly easier to remove

--
www.bitxmap.com

Bob,

BNC is Bayonet N Connector, it locks in place. Never had to glue one !!.

Best way to go IF your antenna cable is RG8/213 is to make a RG58 jumper about 2 meters long with
one end BNC male and the other So239 or BNC with adaptor.. connect to heavier cable. Heavy cables
will tend to drag the light rigs to cables resting position.

Raj

On Friday, February 26, 2021, 2:15:47 AM EST, Raj vu2zap <rajendrakumargg@gmail.com> wrote:

Use a BNC male to SO239 female adapter. Always keep a bunch handy.

Raj

Bob Lunsford

Raj, I know the BNC connector. For me, the problem is that the adapter rotates when trying to connect the PL-259. The glue is to lock the SO-239 in place so the PL-259 can be screwed on and avoid holding the adapter.

When working in a calibration shop, I ground off the BNC locking ring off the connector and used the inner part as a quick connect/disconnect for a type-N connector and avoided the need to use an adapter. The only difference is that the inner pin is slightly smaller but this was never a problem.

Bob — KK5R

At 26/02/2021, you wrote:
>Also, a spot of super-glue would make the adapter a bit more permanent without going into the V6 board. I think I will do it this way.
>
>On Friday, February 26, 2021, 2:15:47 AM EST, Raj vu2zap <rajendrakumargg@...> wrote:
>

>Use a BNC male to SO239 female adapter. Always keep a bunch handy.
>
>Raj

Agree Bob,

Similarly I stick a male N into a female BNC !

Raj

At 26/02/2021, you wrote:
>Also, a spot of super-glue would make the adapter a bit more permanent without going into the V6 board. I think I will do it this way.
>
>On Friday, February 26, 2021, 2:15:47 AM EST, Raj vu2zap < rajendrakumargg@...> wrote:
>

>Use a BNC male to SO239 female adapter. Always keep a bunch handy.
>
>Raj

tomromah@...

What is the purpose of the P1 Connection on the v6 board?

Evan Hand

It is the original power connection point.  The v3 to v5 boards had separate power connections for the PA Finals (the IRF510) than the rest of the board.  The original thought was to allow for a separate, higher voltage, supply for more power.  There is some advantage for that, but not as much as originally thought.

73
Evan
AC9TU

Jerry Gaffke

The primary advantage of having separate 12v pins for the main uBitx supply and the IRF510 drains
is that we can easily disable power to the IRF510's when debugging all other parts of the transmitter.
I hope that extra 12v pin returns on any v7 uBitx.

Jerry, KE7ER

On Sat, Feb 27, 2021 at 07:12 AM, Evan Hand wrote:

It is the original power connection point.  The v3 to v5 boards had separate power connections for the PA Finals (the IRF510) than the rest of the board.  The original thought was to allow for a separate, higher voltage, supply for more power.  There is some advantage for that, but not as much as originally thought.

Scott

OK, gathered some parts for this.   Should I be attempting to use coax for the 2" between the jack and P2 or is it such a short connection it won't matter?

Ian Reeve

You could certainly use miniature coax but it is such a short distance,a wire sraight from coax socket to board will be ok.