Topics

Raduino clone appendium

barry halterman

My last post on the raduino clone should have read; I have no connection to TSW or W0EB. I am just a happy customer passing on a recommendation.

All raduinos can be used with any display, LCD, TFT or nextion. You need to hardwire the display to suit and find the proper nano sketch for what display you are using. I have run all three displays off of one nano, not at the same time of course. So, this is not solely for a V6.

The temperature of the SI crystal. While the regulator heating the pcb is not even close to a crystal oven in the least, does maintain a constant temperature of 97 degrees F (35C) over time, while the regulator heatsink tops out at 171 degree F(77C), based from my measurements. Maybe not state of the art heater but it does maintain a constant temperature, after it warms up the pcb.
 I have a commercial crystal heater powered from 6.3 vac filament supply. The temperature of that heater is set to 110F (40C) in its enclosure.
K3bo

On Tue, Sep 22, 2020, 3:19 PM Shirley Dulcey KE1L <mark@...> wrote:
Unfortunately for some potential buyers, the version for older uBITX models is discontinued. They are now only selling the one for V6 radios.

On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 2:32 PM Jerry Gaffke via groups.io <jgaffke=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
There's a future for you in marketing!

Heating the crystal is not a good thing unless there is some sort of temperature control
going on.   I doubt it's an especially bad thing in this case, but it's by no means a feature.

The TSW Raduio is a good option for those needing to buy one.
Especially for those in the US not wanting to wait for shipment from India.

Jerry, KE7ER

On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 10:59 AM, barry halterman wrote:
Also, the heat from the regulator spreads on a ground pad, that warms the SI crystal, akin to having the crystal in its own oven.

Jim Sheldon

Thanks for the short review Barry,
Especially for posting your temperature measurements.  It was not planned when the board was designed and a “heat break” cut was designed around the regulator’s mount expressly to minimize the heat rise to the crystal.  The fact it comes out to just over 95 degrees F after a short warm up was pure accident but a welcome one as it does help maintain stability without overheating anything.

We sold out of the old style Raduino PC boards about the time the V6 came out and the demand for them went away to the point it was not economical to order more and get stuck with that expense.

There are plenty of V6 boards & kit parts on hand though.  Also, we have plenty of the Teensy 4.0 adapter boards & parts on hand for those kits as well (less the Teensy itself as we aren’t able to get them at enough less than retail to be able to supply them) so we don’t include them.

The supply of NANO’s is starting to dry up as well so there may come a time soon when we won’t be able to include the NANO with the clone kit and like the Teensy 4.0 they may have to be user supplied.  Simple economics as we have tried to keep prices at only slightly above our cost and we do include postage in those prices.

Jim Sheldon, W0EB
TSW Project Coordinator