Topics

R1.4.0 Software Release #ubitx #nano #v6 #ubitxv6

Reed N

I just pushed version R1.4.0 of my software fork for the stock uBiTXv6 Arduino Nano. It includes a LOT of back-end changes, but only a couple user-facing updates:
  • There's now a designated spot in the code to set your callsign
  • There's now a save/recall for your favorite frequencies
  • New icon for numpad and favorites
  • Menu settings now show you what the current setting is, as a reference when adjusting (especially useful for tweaking things like BFO)
If anybody runs into major bugs, I might try and knock them out, but no promises, mostly because this build uses 30718 of the 30720 bytes available on the Arduino Nano, and it works "good enough" for me at the moment.

Speaking of which, this might be my last release on the Nano, before migrating to either ESP-32S or Teensy4.0, because while working in a space and processing constrained environment has been fun, at this point it's becoming more struggle than enjoyment to add features. I've written up a bunch of additional information in the project README.md, so that anybody wishing to add features to the Arduino Nano beyond this release has a spot to start. If somebody does add features, send me a pull request :)

Reed

Reed N

Sending the link to github as a reply, since I've discovered from working with folks on this forum that a bunch of email providers filter out and don't deliver emails with github links:

https://github.com/reedbn/ubitxv6
https://github.com/reedbn/ubitxv6/releases/tag/R1.4.0

Reed

Zac T

Very nice.  I will have to try this tonight.  How hard is it to swap the board for the teensy?  I might have to look at doing that in the future.

Jack, W8TEE

How hard is it to swap the board for the teensy?

Exactly what we did with the JackAl:

Inline image

Jack, W8TEE

--
Jack, W8TEE

Zac T

I was looking over that project and was like holy crap That's some hardcore stuff you guys did.  out of the different firmware's I've used I really like reeds because it's very easy to use and it's got a nice clean interface.  If he does jump to a different board I'll probably jump with him.  I'm not much of a programmer but I am a tinkerer and probably the next few projects I'm going to do on my uBitx is improved the cooling which I have an idea for that just haven't gotten to it yet.

Hi Reed,

I've been playing around with R1.4.0 and was going through checking my Calibration settings, when I got to 'Screen' I chased the x around the screen and then it just went blank, after a reboot I now have no touch screen. So, I reloaded the sketch and I still don't have any touch screen. I can still navigate around by using the encoder. Any idea what happened? BTW, I really like the color change in the tuning windows, it's a lot easier to read at different angles. I also like that the accelerated tuning seems to be tamed or non existent. Thanks for the effort.

Joel
N6ALT

Reed,

Interesting discovery, I have a spare Raduino with a touch screen on it, I uploaded the sketch onto that and I have the same problem as on my radio, no touch screen which points to the sketch. Strange that it did work for a while before it broke. Any thoughts? Next I will re download R1.4.0 and start over.

Joel
N6ALT

Reed,

I now know what is going on. The calibration is so far off that the buttons no longer correspond to the actual locations. If I take a stylus and randomly poke around on the screen I can occasionally trigger a location and something will change on the screen. My question now is, how do I reset the screen calibration? I don't think R1.4.0 is quite ready for prime time yet. Anybody else trying R1.4.0 out, don't mess with the screen calibration until this is fixed.

Joel
N6ALT

W2CTX

Sometimes if you hold the encoder button depressed for several seconds during power on it puts you in calibrate.

On Tuesday, May 5, 2020, 1:00:20 PM EDT, Joel Caulkins/N6ALT <caulktel@...> wrote:

Reed,

I now know what is going on. The calibration is so far off that the buttons no longer correspond to the actual locations. If I take a stylus and randomly poke around on the screen I can occasionally trigger a location and something will change on the screen. My question now is, how do I reset the screen calibration? I don't think R1.4.0 is quite ready for prime time yet. Anybody else trying R1.4.0 out, don't mess with the screen calibration until this is fixed.

Joel
N6ALT

Yes, I tried that but it appears that it no longer works in this update.

Joel
N6ALT

Lennart - LA4KFA

I have also tried this version, and the calibration is gone crazy.

It looks like it calibrates itself, the crosses disappear before I can click on them.
If I use the initial calibration metod (holds the tuning button in when turning on), then it runs trough the hole calibration process

Lennart
LA4KFA

Reed N

Hi Joel,

Not sure what would cause the white screen - I haven't run into that issue in quite some time.

As for getting back to the calibration, you can navigate the entire menu structure using the tuner knob. After you power on, briefly press in the knob, then rotate until the gear is selected, then press the knob again. Press the knob again to select the calibration submenu. Finally, turn the knob to select touch screen, and press the knob button to re-enter calibration.

Side note: I didn't intentionally change the calibration storage location, so I'm a bit surprised it would need recalibration after updating.

HOWEVER, I just tried walking through the touch calibration procedure, and it appears that I've accidentally broken it somehow, so I'll try and fix that tonight, since it is a pretty important function.

Reed

Thanks Reed,

 Please don't take my complaint as being unappreciative, I as many others appreciate everything you do to make our uBitx's more usable. I will patiently wait.

Joel
N6ALT

Christopher Miller

I will wait as well. I’m sorry for being a pain in the ass. My wife is keeping me in check.

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 1:26 PM Joel Caulkins/N6ALT <caulktel@...> wrote:
Thanks Reed,

 Please don't take my complaint as being unappreciative, I as many others appreciate everything you do to make our uBitx's more usable. I will patiently wait.

Joel
N6ALT

Reed N

Alright. Wasn't as quick a fix as I'd hoped, but ended up refactoring a bit, which got a "lot" (relatively speaking - a hundred or so) of bytes back, so I went ahead and added the touch calibration cancellation feature while I was at it. New version is R1.5.0 (because new feature, not just bugfix).

Joel - No offense taken at all. It was definitely broken! I tested a lot of the other settings, including touch, throughout the dev process, but clearly didn't test touch in the final 1.4.0 version.

Reed

Good job Reed,

It's all working good now, thanks.

Joel
N6ALT

barry halterman

Reed, this new version is great! You did a lot of work on this and I like the fact that when you tune out of band the band highlight goes off. Also the aggressive tuning is gone. Great job.
Barry
K3Bo

On Wed, May 6, 2020, 11:02 AM Joel Caulkins/N6ALT <caulktel@...> wrote:
Good job Reed,

It's all working good now, thanks.

Joel
N6ALT

Stephen KO4CVU

Reed,
I agree with Barry. You have really solved a lot of the problems that I had experienced with the version that came loaded on the uBITX. Thank you for all of the hard work!
Stephen

barry halterman

Reed, I have a question on your version 1.5. where in the code do you set the tuning step size for both rit and tuning? I would like to change this on my setup from 50 hz to 10 hz. The reason is I have an optical encoder that I have installed and want to keep it. In version 1.2 it was an easy change..not so much on this version. Again thanks for your great work!
Barry

On Wed, May 6, 2020, 9:01 PM Stephen KO4CVU <goinfishin1952@...> wrote:
Reed,
I agree with Barry. You have really solved a lot of the problems that I had experienced with the version that came loaded on the uBITX. Thank you for all of the hard work!
Stephen

Reed N

Stephen - Glad to hear it!

Barry - Take a look at menu_main.cpp line 104. Change the 50 to a 10, and hopefully you're set!

Reed