Topics

Question : uBITX V5 - AGC + CW Filter #v5

HB9FIH

uBITX V5 - AGC + CW Filter

I am buiding up my uBITX V5
Additional I've the
- AGC Kit from Kit-Projects V1.0 especially for uBITX
- CW Filter from SOTABeams

Appling the AGC is clear - on the VOL potentiomenter.

Now the CW-Filter:
the uBITX has already a LM386 amplifier. The CW Filter has a differencial AF Output. AF input is single.

Should I connect the CW Filter after the existing AF Amplifier LM386 or where?
1. before the in build LM386 - then I loose the differential output from CW Filter
2. after the in build LM386 - then I miss the final Amplifier for eg a speaker..must appl a external one.
3. changing the build in LM386 so that I am able to connect the differecial to them ?

Has anybody expirience with such a constellation ?
Any Ideas are welcome

Erich
--
---
73 de Erich

HB9FIH

HS0ZLS

When I tried to add that filter I ended up at the same cross roads as you. What I ended up doing was adding a nescaf and turned the sota beams filter into a stand alone with a class d audio amp. I tried to add it to the uBitx but found adding another amp was just a bad mix 2x volume knobs etc. I know its not the answer you are looking for but its what I ended with. If you do go that route of making it a stand alone I have one sota beams prototype break out board left that I would be happy to send for cost of shipping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HwSCTcr_sg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL9VZcpNPaA
--
David

 N8DAH
https://kit-projects.com/

Shop is open!

Curt

I integrated a nescaf into my v4 -- very cool to have a bandwidth knob on the front panel.  it works nicely.  v4 does not use a lm386 but a weaker audio amplifier - so its a nice boost for a v4.  the nescaf has a pot on the board to adjust its own net gain - so it can work with any single ended input.

For AGC i have a homebrew VK3YE AGC mounted onto the volume control - no board mods required.  it nicely squashed the very loud signals, and I have it feeding a meter to get some action on the front panel.  I can also see the glow of the LED from this circuit (even inside the case) as an indication of signal strength.

73 curt

HB9FIH

TNX Curt, tnx David

I assumed there is no final solution, but says me I am on the same way. Thats so far ok.

Now will think about and maybe do the "try" method...

I know the NSCAF - have a DIY done.

Will then report what I've done.
-------------------
Now figthing a bit with the calibration - its about 1.5 kHz too low.

But the instruction does match whats happend ....so try to find out..

73 Erich

btw I am at my sailing ship shack (it's also an electronic HAM laboratory) - QTH this time Island Samos in Aegean sea.
(waiting for southerly wind for sailing to north)

--
---
73 de Erich

HB9FIH

HS0ZLS

Evan Hand

Eric,
I have not added the filter.  I have added an external amp to a v5 board.  I found that I needed to reduce the gain of the LM386 to reduce the potential to get feedback.  The LM386 as onfigured in the stock v5/6 has the gain set to 200.  By removing the feedback capacitor C75 from pins 1 and 8 of the LM386 the gain is reduced to 20, which is much better for the external amp.  I did it as a test by bending the pins up so that they did not go in the socket.  I also added a "base bost" by soldering onto the LM386 with an RC feedback from pin 5 to pin 1 as in the attached picture.  The resistor is 10k and the cap is 0.47uf.

There is another way of doing this based on the datasheet from National Semiconductor: To add a 1.2k resistor and 10uf cap between pins 1 and 8.  I have not tried that choice and do not know what the gain would be using that approach.

The result for me was a reduction in the static "hiss" and as I stated before more stable operation of the add audio amp.

73
Evan
AC9TU

Ted

Was this new/old stock NEScaf or have you run across a source?  They look cool.

Ted
K3RTA

They were selling them again but looks like they are sold out.

https://www.newenglandqrp.org/nescaf/
--
David

 N8DAH
https://kit-projects.com/

Shop is open!

dave

mouser is still selling the scaf chip LTC1060 in a dip version for around $10 for the cn flavor. Looking briefly at the data sheet I did not see what the difference was between the cn and the acn.
my first scaf implementation was on a wire wrap board. building it is straight forward.
dave /nt1u

Richard Spohn

The notice about being sold out has been up there for more than a year. I really REALLY want 2 NESCAFs but at this point, I doubt that I will ever see one...Rich WB2GXM

Sent from my MetroPCS 4G LTE Android device

From: N8DAH
Date: Wed, Oct 21, 2020 6:51 PM

They were selling them again but looks like they are sold out.

https://www.newenglandqrp.org/nescaf/
--
David

 N8DAH
https://kit-projects.com/

Shop is open!

barry halterman

Try the Maxim, max7400 chip. There is a post on this group showing a simple schematic of its use. I built one for each of my ubitx rigs and they work very good.

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020, 8:45 PM Ted via groups.io <k3rta=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thanks, David. Keepimg an eye out there. Good site.

Dave, Tnx for the parts lead. What's cn & acn designate, country of origin?

-Ted

Richard Spohn

Ok Shirley, thanks. Don't care if the price goes up! I want my NESCAFs!!! I will pay! Please, please email me about how to get 2 kits!!!!--Rich WB2GXM