Topics

query re Memory Manager & CEC mentioned in many posts #v6

Andy_501 <andrew.webb.501.ve4per@...>

What were Memory Manager and or CEC software used for? Were they optional add ons that could be useful in #V6 machines?

I see them mentioned a lot in posts but not in sufficient detail to get what they are all about.

Thanks

Andy 73 & gud DX

Tom, wb6b

Hi,

The CEC software was an enhanced version of the software that came with the uBitx transceiver from the factory. You could reprogram the Nano in the uBitx with various different firmware from different people.

The memory manager software let you set the various things that could be set using the menus plus many other settings for the uBitx software. This CEC memory manager was written to work with the CEC uBitx software.

The memory manager was so called, because the CEC software put the settings in known locations in the eeprom memory of the Nano. The memory manager would you change the settings with menus running on your PC and then it would directly reprogram the Nano eeprom with new value to the memory locations that the Nano CEC uBitx software used to read the same settings from.

There were some different version of the Memory manager to be in sync with different versions of the CEC uBitx software.

I do not know the state of the compatibility of the CEC software and the memory manager with the v6 uBitx. I'm still happy with my v3 uBitx. Surely someone will know the answer to that.

Tom, wb6b

MVS Sarma

If we use old raduino with 16*2  perhaps the memory manager works.  With graphic display implemented by Farhan, I wonder whether CEC manager works unless he make up a new version for it.
sarma vu3zmv

On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 1:20 PM Tom, wb6b <wb6b@...> wrote:
[...]

Mike G4GOU

I have a uBitX v6 and have updated it with a Nextion 2.8" display, I use the 1.200 version of the KD8CEC software and Manager Version 1.11 which work well together.

I have also added a second Arduino and loaded it with dspmeter v0.8 and added the S-Meter with no problems noticed.

As far as I know it's not possible to use the TFT display that comes with the uBitX (it has a parallel rather than a serial connection).

73 Mike
G4GOU/EA7KIP

Evan Hand

Andy,

To be clear, The CEC software from HamsKey.com (KD8CEC) does not work with the version 6 (v6) display.  The v6 driver software required takes up a significant portion of the available program memory in the Nano on the Raduino. That leaves little room for the enhanced features of the CEC software and vise versa the CEC software takes up most of the available memory beyond the base functioning of the rig control.  So in my opinion, unless you want to buy a new screen, then the CEC software is not compatible with the v6.

It DOES work with the rest of the version 6 IF you change out the display to a Nextion 2.8" as Mike G4GOU stated in his message.

You should do the research on the different sites like hamskey.com, ubitx.net and general internet searches before you decide to upgrade or change the stock version 6 ubitx.  For the prior version the choice to go to the CEC software was not a significant cost and could easily be reversed.  The CEC software would work with the (at that time) standard 2 line display (16x2).  There was also not a graphics option like either the version 6 screen or the Nextion screen that CEC provided.  Of course there was extra cost to purchase the Nextion screen then as well, however the cost of the kit was less by about the amount of the Nextion screen (ignoring the case which had to be purchased from 3rd parties).

Above are my attempts to clarify your choices and provide some of my interpretations of options.  Please be sure to do the research, as there are many who will have different opinions that may closer match what it is that you want.

73
Evan
AC9TU