Topics

Project : Ubitx go box with batteries (topic will be updated upon works done)

Adrien F4IJA <adrien.grelet@...>

And also, a small keyer for CW. It's designed to be 3D printed. I've took some ideas from AngelDMercedes : https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3063277

Vince Vielhaber

Is the power supply display part of the power supply or is it an add on? If it's an add on, hook it up BEFORE you cut the hole in the panel for it. I had one set up and it was so noisy, my bitx40 was unusable.

Vince - K8ZW.

On 08/29/2019 11:17 AM, Adrien F4IJA wrote:
Hi everyone !

Here is the first version of the front end plate for the rig :

Adrien F4IJA <adrien.grelet@...>

Thanks Vince for the advice. I'll check it before!

Adrien F4IJA <adrien.grelet@...>

BTW : do you have the reference of the one who caused you problem? I didn't answer your question : it's an add-on like this one

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/33051924559.html

Vince Vielhaber

The one I got also measured current and had a bezel. In the pic at this listing it's the "Blue + Red".

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173133930221

I ended up with a useless hole in the panel, not a big deal tho, I was experimenting with the panel layout so I just put a piece of tape over the hole.

Vince.

On 08/29/2019 02:37 PM, Adrien F4IJA wrote:
BTW : do you have the reference of the one who caused you problem? I
didn't answer your question : it's an add-on like this one

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/33051924559.html

Adrien F4IJA <adrien.grelet@...>

OK, seems quite similar. I'll test it before !

Adrien F4IJA <adrien.grelet@...>

In fact, after some researches, it's not that easy to find a cookie box which match with my needs.

So, I finally plan to 3d print the side of the complete box (in black) and machine some Dibond sheets (3mm thick, 2 sheets of aluminium of about 0.5mm and inside a core of PE plastic).

The top will be all removable once opened.

The box will be as small as possible and resistant with the 3d printed parts, en-sandwiched with the Dibond sheets.

Here are some pictures of the box :

--
73's
Adrien F4IJA

Adrien F4IJA <adrien.grelet@...>

I'm actually working on the PCB to add the AGC mod and also a Smeter for my uBitx.

I've choosen the VK2ETA AGC mod and the KD8CEC Smeter.

Here is my schematic made with Kicad and the board which will be 85x40mm :

You can find details on my wiki here http://www.tobeca.fr/f4ija/doku.php?id=ubitx:agcsmeter
--
73's
Adrien F4IJA

Adrien F4IJA <adrien.grelet@...>

Hi !

My project is on the way and I should receive my ubitx maybe tomorrow.

Anyway, I've built the battery pack :

It's finally a 3S4P battery pack, from lithium 18650 cells. I didn't receive yet the BMS so the bare wires are "normal" for now.

All has been soldered with my DIY soldering unit for batteries. You can find more informations about that here : http://www.tobeca.fr/f4ija/doku.php?id=other:soldering
--
73's
Adrien F4IJA

Adrien F4IJA <adrien.grelet@...>

So, my uBitx is almost finished !

I haven't made some QSO for now, but I tested it like a WSPR beacon and it's OK (6800km of report max).

Here some views of the beast :

--
73's
Adrien F4IJA

Olivier Grand

Nice job Adrien !
73's Olivier

Le dim. 15 sept. 2019 à 22:31, Adrien F4IJA <adrien.grelet@...> a écrit :
So, my uBitx is almost finished !

I haven't made some QSO for now, but I tested it like a WSPR beacon and it's OK (6800km of report max).

Here some views of the beast :

--
73's
Adrien F4IJA
https://www.qrz.com/db/F4IJA

Frank Dinger , EI7KS

On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 09:50 AM, Adrien F4IJA wrote:
I'll make a 3S battery pack (3x 4.2V fully charged, so 12.6V), and I've ordered 3300 mAh cells. I'm thinking about making a 3S4P battery pack, so the capacity will be 13200 mAh.
Lithium-Ion batteries have a voltage operating range of 4.2V (fully charged) down to 2.8V  , hence 1.4V.
 Question : would 3x2.8V= 8.4V be adequate to operate the Ubitx ?

If not I would suggest you use 4 sets of (parallel) cells in series . This would give an operating voltage range of  16.8 V - 11.2V , hence 5.7V    , assuming 16.8 V is acceptable for the complete radio .

Also ensure that you use  a max voltage equalising circuit to prevent overcharging of any of the cells being charged as part of the pack.

FYI : Chinese on-line retailers can supply (low cost) compact 18650 battery holders for either 1 or 4 cells permitting cells to be flipped-in (hence no soldering or spot welding)  These holders also enable easy cell replacement .

I have recovered good cells (capacity checked) from discarded laptop battery packs .
When a laptop pack is no longer usable for its intended purpose , often only 1 of the usually 6 cells is no longer OK , but the others still are.

Frank   ,    EI7KS

Adrien F4IJA <adrien.grelet@...>

In fact with 3 cells in serie you can go down up to 9v normally. For now with 3s4p and making Ft8 and wspr since 2 evenings I'm at 12.1v so I guess the capacity is quite good.

Yes you're right about the BMS. Not already installed because waiting for receiving it. But it's a must have!
--
73's
Adrien F4IJA