Topics

Project to adapt ubitx for the visually challenged

Ashhar Farhan

I have been in touch with someone who is a potential ubitx user. He needs a cw read out of the frequency, etc. It should be an easy one to add. I am pasting his email below. It came toy other email inbox.
Are there any volunteers for this?

Hello Ashhar Farhan:

Thank you for the nice reply.

It has taken me some time in putting this response together. Much sol
full and creative thought has gone in to the response. The below
should get the U-Bit-X community thought processes started. Please
pass this on to the U-Bit-X community. Not sure when I will join the
group.

My plans are to obtain an U-Bit-X rig and join the user group. I
wonder if a  functioning, already built used U-Bit-X rig might be a
good first starter. May be someone in the community might know of one
to be purchase. Sorry for any delay.

As a person who is blind, many product videos are not much benefit to
me. This is due to these videos  want the viewer to read the product
screen when prompts and information are displayed. This is their
normal demonstration means rather than showing and reading the display
at the same time.

If the products being demonstrated would talked like an Apple
I/Pad/Phone/Pod/ with Voice Over turned on, then the product would be
self explaining.  This gives me a creative wondering could the U-Bit-X
be control by an Apple I/Product? This would be  via a direct cable
connection.  Between both devices.

The following are my thoughts on the U-Bit-X CW Speaking of the
Display. It starts with propose new menu choices. Within each new menu
choice, it should describe the needed ability. See my comments at the
end.

Add the following new menu features:

Turn On Auto CW speaking Of The Display.
When this feature is turned on:
After the tuning knob stopped being turned and a delay of CW  seconds
times out,
the menu feature or frequency is read via CW.

CW  seconds time out value
This is a menu choice where you specify the time out value for the
Auto CW reading.
Example: 0.25, 0.50, 0.75, 1.00, 1.25, 1.50, 1.75 seconds.
Suggest the default of 0.75 seconds

Turn On Manual CW reading Of The Display.
When this feature is turned on:
Single tap of the tuning knob
the menu feature or frequency is read via CW.
Note, when this feature is turned on:
 Double tap of the tuning knob will bring up the menus or other features.

Double Tap Value
Some individuals may need a longer spacing for double tapping. I have
right hand trauma from being a back seat passenger in an auto
accident. The trauma was to my right hand which I use for reading
Braille and sending CW. I have no recommended starting value.

Tuning Clicks
When this feature is turned on:
As you turn the tuning knob up or down in frequency,
single audible click for every one KHZ,
double audible click for every 10 KHZ, and
triple audible click for every 50 KHZ is heard.
With menus, a click for every menu choice stopped  on or pass over.
If the user knows the starting point via CW reading, they can keep
track by counting the clicks.

CW Flushing
When this feature is turned on:
While the menu information or frequency being read,
tap the tuning knob, pushing the microphone button or pressing the CW
key will stop the CW reading. When pressing the microphone button or
using the CW key will flush CW reading  and begin transmitting.
With this feature turned off:
 all voice transmitting and CW sending is disabled until CW reading is
completed.
When off, CW reading is only stopped when going between menu and frequency.

Receiver mute
When this feature is turned on:
The receiver audio is muted when CW reading is occurring.
When this feature is turned off:
The receiver volume is cut in half while CW reading is occurring.

CW Speed
This is where you set the CW speed for the menu or frequency to be read.

CW Spacing
This is where you specify any additional spacing between CW characters
to be read. This is for persons who like their CW characters sent at a
fast speed like 15 words per minute. But, character  spacing delay
increase for a total reading speed of 7 words per minute.

CW Character Volume
This is where you set the volume for CW reading.

CW Tone
This is where you set the frequency tone for CW reading.

Comments:

It is so easy to provide just frequency read out via CW. Blind fold
yourself and try to eat a meal, run a vacuum sweeper, wash walls, use
a microwave oven, cook on the stove, use a cell phone, use a computer,
use all abilities of the U-Bit-X,  Etc.

To make full use of the U-Bit-X for person who are blind, all display
abilities need to be outputted via some form of CW reading.
Abbreviated words might work in some situations. Examples, RX -
receiver, TX - transmitter, V A - vfo A, V B - VFO B, A VOX - anti
vox, G VOX - vox gaine, D VOX - vox delay, S VOX - vox sensativity,
ETC.

For those of you who are writing the CW reading code, make sure to
blindfold yourself when testing out this new feature. Then I look
forward to the results of your effort.

I can be reached at this <wd8ajq@...> email address.
Also, I am on Echo Link.
73 Dave WD8AJQ

Buddy Brannan

Howdy,

I’m another blind op and longtime lurker. I’ve chatted with a couple different folks about this (Hi Jim), but I’ve not really had a lot of time to pursue it or, for that matter, many other ham radio pursuits of late. I’d be really pleased with a morse readout myself, but there have been discussions around voice synthesis with keypads as an offshoot of sorts to some of the add-on designs that have been done with touch screens. Those discussions were months ago for me, and, sadly, I haven’t had time to pursue, and I haven’t bought a kit with which to pursue these things either, although I’ve gotten at least one offer of assistance when that time comes to pick it up.

Given that a lot of blind people are on fixed (read low) incomes and the UBitx is a really neat low-cost solution, I’m sure there would be interest beyond myself and this other fella.

Vy 73,

Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Email: buddy@...
Mobile: (814) 431-0962

On Oct 31, 2019, at 11:39 PM, Ashhar Farhan <farhanbox@...> wrote:

[...]

Vic WA4THR

Back in 2018 Andy, KB1OIQ, did a lot of work on such a project and there is information on the ubitx.net website:
http://ubitx.net/2018/03/08/kb1oiq-firmware-and-hardware-mods-to-bitx40-and-ubitx/

=Vic=