Topics

Prewired 16x2 blue display

M. LeBlanc

Looking for sources for prewired 16*2 blue displayed I have ordered a few but they all came with the pins not soldered and I melted the unit trying to install the pins.  Companies who won't charge high shipping fees to Canada are preferred.

Thank you

Ted

Try www.mpja.com

Ted

...or more specifically,

2-Line-X-16-Character-LCD-Display-with-Blue-LED-Backlite

or an upgrade if you like,

4-X-20-LCD-Character-Display-White-on-Blue

As to soldering pins to the board, I might suggest first tinning the pins alone; if you have some soldering flux, a trace amount on the circuit board holes won't hurt though optional. Then, with the board held by a vise or similar, use pliers to hold the pin and place it about 3 or 4mm (1/16"?) into the hole. With a small drop of solder on your iron's tip, heat only the tip of the pin until the solder wicks onto it. Then, immediately draw the pin and the iron outward together to a suitable mounting position for the pin. You can and should roll the hot iron tip around to touch the circuit board, at which time the solder will wick over to the circuit trace. REMOVE HEAT as soon as the wick happens.  Blow on it, cool it, etc and you will be OK from there to continue to the next one.

Hint: Not all pins are used or necessary.

Ted
K3RTA

ajparent1/KB1GMX <kb1gmx@...>

Is it that hard to solder in the pins?  Those gold plated ones take solder
very well and its not hard.

Allison

_Dave_ K0MBT

It seems the problem is mainly about soldering technique or general electrical repair.

One tip I have is to plug the female connector on to the male connector. Use quality solder and additional flux. along with a clean tip.

Solder a pin near each end then move around so you don't heat them in kind. A bit like tightening lug nuts on a wheel.
Dave
k0mbt
Raduino bracket and Ham_Made_Keys

andy@...

Is there a larger 2 line display we could substitute directly for visually impaired or for mobile use thats easier to see??
VE6KP Andy

Hi M. LeBlanc,

I've had good luck shipping to Canada with Arrow Electronics.  They are pretty much an international company so they are used to shipping to/from different countries.

I'm in Ottawa if you need assistance with your bitx.

73,

Mark.

Gary Anderson

On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 12:45 PM, <andy@...> wrote:
Is there a larger 2 line display we could substitute directly for visually impaired or for mobile use thats easier to see??
VE6KP Andy
Yes there are somewhat larger common 16x2 displays. I can't speak to 'direct' replacement, (not interested in doing that homework) but these have I2C modules and 6800 parallel library support.
https://www.buydisplay.com/default/3-3v-or-5v-blue-arduino-16x2-character-lcd-display-module-i2c
Look at the datasheet and see if the size is what your after.  The rest should be simple software changes, if needed at all.

Mike Short

I have bought two of those displays from them, and neither worked. The larger displays I have (5 from different sources) do not use the same pin out as the regular ones. The last two pins are reversed, and if you power on wired wrong it will destroy the display.

Mike
AI4NS