Topics

plugging mic in causes the ubitx V6 to go into transmit mode

John KG9DK
 

just got my uBitx V6 assembled, been listening to the receiver on 40m ,it seem to be OK.  decided to check transmitter out, when I plug in the Baofeng mic the radio goes into transmit. after doing some searching on the messages I see there are a lot of issues with the mic and transmitter.  any one know of a message number I need to read.  the ones I read lean toward RF in the shack, right now I have a dummy load on, still happens, I do have a long power cord from a linear power supply, 30".   I have not done any trouble shooting yet, that is next, I am just hoping to get lucky and some one will post my solution.... I got a feeling it does not work that way.
73's
John kg9dk

Gordon Gibby
 

So, start with the basics. Read the voltage on the push to talk pin of the jack, and see what happens to it when you plug that mic in.

If it goes to zero, you are shorting it out somehow.

Proceed methodically and systematically from that point to find out where it got shorted to ground.  

This is regular old ham radio, a chance to learn and practice techniques of figuring things out

Gordon 



On Jul 6, 2020, at 15:06, John KG9DK <jab3739@...> wrote:

just got my uBitx V6 assembled, been listening to the receiver on 40m ,it seem to be OK.  decided to check transmitter out, when I plug in the Baofeng mic the radio goes into transmit. after doing some searching on the messages I see there are a lot of issues with the mic and transmitter.  any one know of a message number I need to read.  the ones I read lean toward RF in the shack, right now I have a dummy load on, still happens, I do have a long power cord from a linear power supply, 30".   I have not done any trouble shooting yet, that is next, I am just hoping to get lucky and some one will post my solution.... I got a feeling it does not work that way.
73's
John kg9dk

Bob Lunsford
 

I was fooled with a plug once that is the same used on the Baofeng microphone until I realized I was not pushing the mic plug in all the way. Quick fix.

Bob — KK5R

On Monday, July 6, 2020, 3:13:17 PM EDT, Gordon Gibby <docvacuumtubes@...> wrote:


So, start with the basics. Read the voltage on the push to talk pin of the jack, and see what happens to it when you plug that mic in.

If it goes to zero, you are shorting it out somehow.

Proceed methodically and systematically from that point to find out where it got shorted to ground.  

This is regular old ham radio, a chance to learn and practice techniques of figuring things out

Gordon 



On Jul 6, 2020, at 15:06, John KG9DK <jab3739@...> wrote:

just got my uBitx V6 assembled, been listening to the receiver on 40m ,it seem to be OK.  decided to check transmitter out, when I plug in the Baofeng mic the radio goes into transmit. after doing some searching on the messages I see there are a lot of issues with the mic and transmitter.  any one know of a message number I need to read.  the ones I read lean toward RF in the shack, right now I have a dummy load on, still happens, I do have a long power cord from a linear power supply, 30".   I have not done any trouble shooting yet, that is next, I am just hoping to get lucky and some one will post my solution.... I got a feeling it does not work that way.
73's
John kg9dk

Skip Davis <skipdaviscta@...>
 

John start with your Ohm meter and check ring to sleeve on the mic plug. Don’t just look for a short here look to see if there is any resistance, it should be infinite on the higher scales. If it isn’t it could be pulling the PTT pin low enough to look like a switch closure thus sending it into transmit.
On the plug Tip is mic audio/bias, Ring is PTT, and Sleeve is common/ground for the microphone.

Skip Davis, NC9O

Jeff Debes
 

John ,

The shipped Baofeng mics are next to worthless in the context of the V6 rig.
There was a thread talking about use of a Pro Com amplified CB mic which provided reliable operation and far better audio vs the Baofeng. I purchased one and it works very  well. 
 I have since received many reports about its excellent  audio.  
I’ve worked a number of European stations using the new mic and a simple 20 meter wire vertical ground plane antenna. 
Bitx V6 is only about 5-6 watts at 20 meters.
I’d recommend setting aside the Baofeng .
Best wishes for success in your endeavor.

Jeff
AC2JB 



On Jul 6, 2020, at 4:21 PM, Bob Lunsford via groups.io <nocrud222@...> wrote:


I was fooled with a plug once that is the same used on the Baofeng microphone until I realized I was not pushing the mic plug in all the way. Quick fix.

Bob — KK5R

On Monday, July 6, 2020, 3:13:17 PM EDT, Gordon Gibby <docvacuumtubes@...> wrote:


So, start with the basics. Read the voltage on the push to talk pin of the jack, and see what happens to it when you plug that mic in.

If it goes to zero, you are shorting it out somehow.

Proceed methodically and systematically from that point to find out where it got shorted to ground.  

This is regular old ham radio, a chance to learn and practice techniques of figuring things out

Gordon 



On Jul 6, 2020, at 15:06, John KG9DK <jab3739@...> wrote:

just got my uBitx V6 assembled, been listening to the receiver on 40m ,it seem to be OK.  decided to check transmitter out, when I plug in the Baofeng mic the radio goes into transmit. after doing some searching on the messages I see there are a lot of issues with the mic and transmitter.  any one know of a message number I need to read.  the ones I read lean toward RF in the shack, right now I have a dummy load on, still happens, I do have a long power cord from a linear power supply, 30".   I have not done any trouble shooting yet, that is next, I am just hoping to get lucky and some one will post my solution.... I got a feeling it does not work that way.
73's
John kg9dk

--
jeff.debes@...

Bob Lunsford
 

I have no tried it yet but from another V6 user's hint in this forum, I opened the mic case and opened the little hole for the eletret element up to 1/8th-in. I may also replace the eletret with an amplified element if that fix has no merit. I will use the mic case for another mic circuit if all other fixes do not work. there are other things going on circuit-wise with the mic so any mods may require disconnecting everything in the microphone and using the microphone body to house another mic circuit. If nothing else, the mic does look good.

Have others here experienced good things with no or little modification using the mic supplied with the V6 full kit? This would indicate to me that massive rearrangement in the microphone may not be necessary.

Bob — KK5R

On Monday, July 6, 2020, 10:48:54 PM EDT, Jeff Debes <jeff.debes@...> wrote:


John ,

The shipped Baofeng mics are next to worthless in the context of the V6 rig.
There was a thread talking about use of a Pro Com amplified CB mic which provided reliable operation and far better audio vs the Baofeng. I purchased one and it works very  well. 
 I have since received many reports about its excellent  audio.  
I’ve worked a number of European stations using the new mic and a simple 20 meter wire vertical ground plane antenna. 
Bitx V6 is only about 5-6 watts at 20 meters.
I’d recommend setting aside the Baofeng .
Best wishes for success in your endeavor.

Jeff
AC2JB 



On Jul 6, 2020, at 4:21 PM, Bob Lunsford via groups.io <nocrud222@...> wrote:


I was fooled with a plug once that is the same used on the Baofeng microphone until I realized I was not pushing the mic plug in all the way. Quick fix.

Bob — KK5R

On Monday, July 6, 2020, 3:13:17 PM EDT, Gordon Gibby <docvacuumtubes@...> wrote:


So, start with the basics. Read the voltage on the push to talk pin of the jack, and see what happens to it when you plug that mic in.

If it goes to zero, you are shorting it out somehow.

Proceed methodically and systematically from that point to find out where it got shorted to ground.  

This is regular old ham radio, a chance to learn and practice techniques of figuring things out

Gordon 



On Jul 6, 2020, at 15:06, John KG9DK <jab3739@...> wrote:

just got my uBitx V6 assembled, been listening to the receiver on 40m ,it seem to be OK.  decided to check transmitter out, when I plug in the Baofeng mic the radio goes into transmit. after doing some searching on the messages I see there are a lot of issues with the mic and transmitter.  any one know of a message number I need to read.  the ones I read lean toward RF in the shack, right now I have a dummy load on, still happens, I do have a long power cord from a linear power supply, 30".   I have not done any trouble shooting yet, that is next, I am just hoping to get lucky and some one will post my solution.... I got a feeling it does not work that way.
73's
John kg9dk

--
jeff.debes@...

John KG9DK
 

Greetings all,  I think I found the problem with the mic.  I took it apart and found at the plug end, where clamp was cutting into the PTT wire.  I am going to repair it tomorrow  by cutting the mic cable off and re solder it and re clamp the mic cable.  I will let you know how it goes may be able to post some photos.  Thanks for all the comments.
john kg9dk

Gordon Gibby
 

Good work 
This is part of being a ham. 



On Jul 7, 2020, at 00:36, John KG9DK <jab3739@...> wrote:


Greetings all,  I think I found the problem with the mic.  I took it apart and found at the plug end, where clamp was cutting into the PTT wire.  I am going to repair it tomorrow  by cutting the mic cable off and re solder it and re clamp the mic cable.  I will let you know how it goes may be able to post some photos.  Thanks for all the comments.
john kg9dk