Topics

PiZeroW Controlling a uBitx

Diver Martin <diver.martin@...>
 

Anyone thought about using a PiZeroW (or even a regular RPi) for controlling a uBitx?

I thought to myself, while pondering my design decisions, "Hey, a PiZeroW is $10.  A Teensy3.2 is $20..."  Looking quickly at the pinout, it has spi and i2c, and a few GPIO's.  I don't have any experience programming the raspberry pis, but adding an i2s audio dac (or two) could easily do DSP audio, spectrum display, etc... I have my RpiZeroW hooked up to a 3.5" TFT touchscreen display I got off amazon... (https://www.amazon.com/UCTRONICS-Display-Touch-Screen-Raspberry/dp/B073QGW2M6/)

Mostly just curious.  Doubt I'll change directions with my top mod PCB, but it certainly could be an interesting option (The RpiZeroW consumes ~250mA @ 5V as I recall)

--
Martin Held - AE7EU
http://ae7eu.com/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If there aren't any questions, then what is there to learn?

Jack, W8TEE
 

Anyone thought about using a PiZeroW (or even a regular RPi) for controlling a uBitx?

Yes. The problem we're running into is that there is nowhere the depth of support libraries for the graphics displays, at least, we haven't seen them. The spectrum display is especially attractive since the RP has a fast processor and a lot of memory.  I'm sure there are FFT (and other) support libraries out there, I just haven't found them yet.

Jack, W8TEE


From: Diver Martin <diver.martin@...>
To: BITX20@groups.io
Sent: Sunday, January 28, 2018 1:22 AM
Subject: [BITX20] PiZeroW Controlling a uBitx

Anyone thought about using a PiZeroW (or even a regular RPi) for controlling a uBitx?

I thought to myself, while pondering my design decisions, "Hey, a PiZeroW is $10.  A Teensy3.2 is $20..."  Looking quickly at the pinout, it has spi and i2c, and a few GPIO's.  I don't have any experience programming the raspberry pis, but adding an i2s audio dac (or two) could easily do DSP audio, spectrum display, etc... I have my RpiZeroW hooked up to a 3.5" TFT touchscreen display I got off amazon... (https://www.amazon.com/UCTRONICS-Display-Touch-Screen-Raspberry/dp/B073QGW2M6/)

Mostly just curious.  Doubt I'll change directions with my top mod PCB, but it certainly could be an interesting option (The RpiZeroW consumes ~250mA @ 5V as I recall)

--
Martin Held - AE7EU
http://ae7eu.com/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If there aren't any questions, then what is there to learn?



Virus-free. www.avast.com

Doug W
 

Another consideration since you mentioned the W variant, RF from the radio will knock out the wifi on the pi.  I am running WSPR (tx only) on a PiZeroW with the shield from TAPR http://tapr.org/kits_20M-wspr-pi.html  I use VNC to remote into the pi and as soon as tx starts the wifi goes out.  I solved it by separating the pi and the shield with 20cm jumpers.  Keep in mind that is with only 100mW out.
It is worth mentioning with just a wire antenna tacked up on the inside of my garage my signal has been picked up 13087km away, from US to New Zealand.  Of course all credit is due to K1JT and the station on the rx side.

Doug W
 

On Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 06:43 am, Jack Purdum wrote:
I'm sure there are FFT (and other) support libraries out there, I just haven't found them yet.
Have you seen this? 
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/accelerating-fourier-transforms-using-the-gpu/

Jack, W8TEE
 

Very impressive!!

Jack, W8TEE



From: Doug W <dougwilner@...>
To: BITX20@groups.io
Sent: Sunday, January 28, 2018 11:14 AM
Subject: Re: [BITX20] PiZeroW Controlling a uBitx

On Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 06:43 am, Jack Purdum wrote:
I'm sure there are FFT (and other) support libraries out there, I just haven't found them yet.
Have you seen this? 
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/accelerating-fourier-transforms-using-the-gpu/



Virus-free. www.avast.com

Mike Woods
 

Martin

It seems like nobody has (yet) used the Pi Zero W.   Why don't you give it a go?  I suspect that it will be a noise generator as well as RF prone ... but worth a try!

Mike


On 28/01/18 7:21 PM, Diver Martin wrote:
Anyone thought about using a PiZeroW (or even a regular RPi) for controlling a uBitx?

I thought to myself, while pondering my design decisions, "Hey, a PiZeroW is $10.  A Teensy3.2 is $20..."  Looking quickly at the pinout, it has spi and i2c, and a few GPIO's.  I don't have any experience programming the raspberry pis, but adding an i2s audio dac (or two) could easily do DSP audio, spectrum display, etc... I have my RpiZeroW hooked up to a 3.5" TFT touchscreen display I got off amazon... (https://www.amazon.com/UCTRONICS-Display-Touch-Screen-Raspberry/dp/B073QGW2M6/)

Mostly just curious.  Doubt I'll change directions with my top mod PCB, but it certainly could be an interesting option (The RpiZeroW consumes ~250mA @ 5V as I recall)

--
Martin Held - AE7EU
http://ae7eu.com/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If there aren't any questions, then what is there to learn?


--
Mike Woods
mhwoods@...

Diver Martin <diver.martin@...>
 

I need yet another project like I need a hole in my head! :)  The my top mod PCB is something I should get working first, but I may later try doing a simple rpizerow to teensy3.2 adapter or something.  Power consumption and boot-up time are two issues with the PiZeroW, but it sounds like RFI and the wireless getting 'zapped' are others.   Still something to consider down the road...

On Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 2:03 PM, Mike Woods <mhwoods@...> wrote:
Martin

It seems like nobody has (yet) used the Pi Zero W.   Why don't you give it a go?  I suspect that it will be a noise generator as well as RF prone ... but worth a try!

Mike



On 28/01/18 7:21 PM, Diver Martin wrote:
Anyone thought about using a PiZeroW (or even a regular RPi) for controlling a uBitx?

I thought to myself, while pondering my design decisions, "Hey, a PiZeroW is $10.  A Teensy3.2 is $20..."  Looking quickly at the pinout, it has spi and i2c, and a few GPIO's.  I don't have any experience programming the raspberry pis, but adding an i2s audio dac (or two) could easily do DSP audio, spectrum display, etc... I have my RpiZeroW hooked up to a 3.5" TFT touchscreen display I got off amazon... (https://www.amazon.com/UCTRONICS-Display-Touch-Screen-Raspberry/dp/B073QGW2M6/)

Mostly just curious.  Doubt I'll change directions with my top mod PCB, but it certainly could be an interesting option (The RpiZeroW consumes ~250mA @ 5V as I recall)

--
Martin Held - AE7EU
http://ae7eu.com/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If there aren't any questions, then what is there to learn?


--
Mike Woods
mhwoods@...




--
Martin Held - AE7EU
http://ae7eu.com/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If there aren't any questions, then what is there to learn?

Arv Evans
 

Two problems that may affect use of a Pi-ZERO inside the uBITX.  First it will have
to be shielded to minimize radiation of spurious signals that might detract from 
typical BITX quiet background and high sensitivity.  Second would be the need to
"harden" Pi-ZERO ports so they will survive the high RF levels that exist inside the
case when transmitting.  Both fixes re possible but not something that a neophyte
would want to attempt.

Arv  K7HKL
_._


On Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 10:54 PM, Diver Martin <diver.martin@...> wrote:
I need yet another project like I need a hole in my head! :)  The my top mod PCB is something I should get working first, but I may later try doing a simple rpizerow to teensy3.2 adapter or something.  Power consumption and boot-up time are two issues with the PiZeroW, but it sounds like RFI and the wireless getting 'zapped' are others.   Still something to consider down the road...

On Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 2:03 PM, Mike Woods <mhwoods@...> wrote:
Martin

It seems like nobody has (yet) used the Pi Zero W.   Why don't you give it a go?  I suspect that it will be a noise generator as well as RF prone ... but worth a try!

Mike



On 28/01/18 7:21 PM, Diver Martin wrote:
Anyone thought about using a PiZeroW (or even a regular RPi) for controlling a uBitx?

I thought to myself, while pondering my design decisions, "Hey, a PiZeroW is $10.  A Teensy3.2 is $20..."  Looking quickly at the pinout, it has spi and i2c, and a few GPIO's.  I don't have any experience programming the raspberry pis, but adding an i2s audio dac (or two) could easily do DSP audio, spectrum display, etc... I have my RpiZeroW hooked up to a 3.5" TFT touchscreen display I got off amazon... (https://www.amazon.com/UCTRONICS-Display-Touch-Screen-Raspberry/dp/B073QGW2M6/)

Mostly just curious.  Doubt I'll change directions with my top mod PCB, but it certainly could be an interesting option (The RpiZeroW consumes ~250mA @ 5V as I recall)

--
Martin Held - AE7EU
http://ae7eu.com/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If there aren't any questions, then what is there to learn?


--
Mike Woods
mhwoods@...




--
Martin Held - AE7EU
http://ae7eu.com/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If there aren't any questions, then what is there to learn?


Diver Martin <diver.martin@...>
 

Arv, yeah, the susceptibility of the zeroW to the RF would probably be the hardest part.

I was discussing this with another friend, and another major issue came up:  Sourcing the damned things.  You can buy them onsie-twosie as a private party from the likes of adafruit/etc, but buying 100 for a build (or 1000 if one went to something like the current uBitx build volumes) is more difficult.  So either each person buys their own (Add $6 shipping to that $10), or you gotta deal with the logistics.  Meh.

Still an interesting idea though the horsepower that's available...  (Integrating the MCU off a teensy3.2 would be cheap & easy if it weren't for the $8 one pays for the bootloader from pjrc, but then it wouldn't be arduino / teensyduino compatible).

On Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 10:02 PM, Arv Evans <arvid.evans@...> wrote:
Two problems that may affect use of a Pi-ZERO inside the uBITX.  First it will have
to be shielded to minimize radiation of spurious signals that might detract from 
typical BITX quiet background and high sensitivity.  Second would be the need to
"harden" Pi-ZERO ports so they will survive the high RF levels that exist inside the
case when transmitting.  Both fixes re possible but not something that a neophyte
would want to attempt.

Arv  K7HKL
_._


On Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 10:54 PM, Diver Martin <diver.martin@...> wrote:
I need yet another project like I need a hole in my head! :)  The my top mod PCB is something I should get working first, but I may later try doing a simple rpizerow to teensy3.2 adapter or something.  Power consumption and boot-up time are two issues with the PiZeroW, but it sounds like RFI and the wireless getting 'zapped' are others.   Still something to consider down the road...

On Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 2:03 PM, Mike Woods <mhwoods@...> wrote:
Martin

It seems like nobody has (yet) used the Pi Zero W.   Why don't you give it a go?  I suspect that it will be a noise generator as well as RF prone ... but worth a try!

Mike



On 28/01/18 7:21 PM, Diver Martin wrote:
Anyone thought about using a PiZeroW (or even a regular RPi) for controlling a uBitx?

I thought to myself, while pondering my design decisions, "Hey, a PiZeroW is $10.  A Teensy3.2 is $20..."  Looking quickly at the pinout, it has spi and i2c, and a few GPIO's.  I don't have any experience programming the raspberry pis, but adding an i2s audio dac (or two) could easily do DSP audio, spectrum display, etc... I have my RpiZeroW hooked up to a 3.5" TFT touchscreen display I got off amazon... (https://www.amazon.com/UCTRONICS-Display-Touch-Screen-Raspberry/dp/B073QGW2M6/)

Mostly just curious.  Doubt I'll change directions with my top mod PCB, but it certainly could be an interesting option (The RpiZeroW consumes ~250mA @ 5V as I recall)

--
Martin Held - AE7EU
http://ae7eu.com/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If there aren't any questions, then what is there to learn?


--
Mike Woods
mhwoods@...




--
Martin Held - AE7EU
http://ae7eu.com/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If there aren't any questions, then what is there to learn?





--
Martin Held - AE7EU
http://ae7eu.com/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If there aren't any questions, then what is there to learn?

 

I also have been very curios about using a Pi in place of the Raduino.
I have a Pi v3 begging me to do something with it!

Ashhar Farhan
 

I demonstrated exactly this at the fdim club night


On Sat 10 Aug, 2019, 9:31 AM Darrel H, <hdarek@...> wrote:
I also have been very curios about using a Pi in place of the Raduino.
I have a Pi v3 begging me to do something with it!

 

Sorry I missed it.