Topics

Ordered A uBitx today

mm0bef@...

Hi,
     Ordered a uBitx today with the DHL option to get delivered to UK. Dont mind the 20pounds or so duty DHL impose as i want the radio asap. Been following this group and been following and reading about this radio for a year or so. Got a basic case 3d printed ready for it and got details on some mods i'll be doing to it so ready to go when it gets here. If anyone has any advice on mods for it or any other advice I would be glad to hear from you.

Best Regards

Brian_____MM0BEF

Doug W

On Tue, Nov 19, 2019 at 10:12 AM, <mm0bef@...> wrote:
If anyone has any advice on mods for it or any other advice I would be glad to hear from you.
Best advise I can offer is first build it completely stock on your bench and make sure everything works as expected before doing any modifications.

--
www.bitxmap.com

Jim Willis

Hi Brian,

I love my uBITx.

A picture containing indoor, table, floor, sitting

Description automatically generated

Recommended accessories:

Gotchas:

• My BNC connector from HF SIGNALS was defective – I replaced it with a SO-239
  • Be sure to follow the alignment procedure – BFO and frequency calibration

Advice:

• Either use a tuner (ATU) or simple dipole antenna resonant on the band you intend to operate. I use a G5RV with 1:1 balun and MFJ tuner

As Doug said, “…first build it completely stock on your bench and make sure everything works as expected before doing any modifications.”

Have fun!

Jim KX4TD

From: BITX20@groups.io <BITX20@groups.io> On Behalf Of mm0bef@...
Sent: Tuesday, November 19, 2019 11:13 AM
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: [BITX20] Ordered A uBitx today

Hi,
     Ordered a uBitx today with the DHL option to get delivered to UK. Dont mind the 20pounds or so duty DHL impose as i want the radio asap. Been following this group and been following and reading about this radio for a year or so. Got a basic case 3d printed ready for it and got details on some mods i'll be doing to it so ready to go when it gets here. If anyone has any advice on mods for it or any other advice I would be glad to hear from you.

Best Regards

Brian_____MM0BEF

Viktors Miske

You've probably seen this link already, but it has a wealth of information.
www.ubitx.net

Evan Hand

It cannot be repeated enough, so here it is again; build it STOCK first, then do modes one at a time so that there is a known trace back to the prior step.

Most of us on this site have built the uBITX in the stock configuration.  That means there is a lot of help for a stock unit.  As you start to add mods the number of people that are familiar with that mod in your configuration reduces.

Just some advice from personal experience.  I have built 2 v4 and 1 v5.  After building the first v4, I though that I could skip direct to the mods on my second build. I have had the most trouble with that second build with calibration that had I done it stock version first, it would have avoided some of the issues with wiring to the board, and power to the display.

73 and Have Fun!
Evan
AC9TU

mm0bef@...

Thanks to everyone for all the advice. Its greatly appreciated. I ordered the ubitx on the tuesday and it arrived on the friday, the charges were a bit more tan i expected at £33 from dhl here in UK. I have built it stock and given it a quick test and all seems ok so far. Will fine tune the settings and get it in a 3d printed case when i get time and test it for a few weeks before doing any mods. The first mod will be the AGC circuit though im not sure which one to do but have time to think about it.
Thanks again for the replies

Brian
MM0BEF

mm0bef@...

Hi again, are any of these 2 agc kits better than the other?
 https://amateurradiokits.in/product/agc-kit-for-bitx-and-ubitx/
or
https://shop.kit-projects.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=101

Ill be adding one after a few weeks of setting up and testing so just wondered which is best, also be adding a signl/vswr/power meter depending on what kits  or circuits i build. 
73 and Thanks
Brian
MM0BEF

Curt

Brian

Enjoy the build and operating the rig.

Don't fear initial lack of AGC. This rig works fine without it. I added agc only to address tuning across a band. These audio agc circuits only impact signals above S8 or so. I use the vk3ye agc BTW. Enjoy exploring mods after using the rig.

73 curt wb8yyy