Topics

On the air with the "Fish Soup 7" QRP Rig

Bill Meara

Ashhar Farhan

Not bad at all! What kind of audio amp did you use? We were at a farm yesterday and I carried a KX3 with a longnwire. It was hopeless. I couldn't get the vswr below 4 and the band was dead. No contact made.
- f

Bill Meara

AF amp?  Just the two 2n2222 transistors in the Herring Aid 5. They went directly to the speaker (no amp in the speaker). 

40 fades here at mid-day when absorption increases.. 

Thanks again for the key.  

73  Bill   

On Sunday, July 7, 2019, 10:58:30 PM EDT, Ashhar Farhan <farhanbox@...> wrote:

Not bad at all! What kind of audio amp did you use? We were at a farm yesterday and I carried a KX3 with a longnwire. It was hopeless. I couldn't get the vswr below 4 and the band was dead. No contact made.
- f

_Dave_ K0MBT

What! a KX3 and not the uBITX!

Just Kidding.
Dave
k0mbt

Joe Puma

....But then a friend had a trusty uBitx and you worked many DX contacts until the sun set. 

Well that’s how I imagined your email went. Would of made for a great testimony of the uBitx :) 

Joe
Kd2nfc 

Not bad at all! What kind of audio amp did you use? We were at a farm yesterday and I carried a KX3 with a longnwire. It was hopeless. 

On Jul 7, 2019, at 10:58 PM, Ashhar Farhan <farhanbox@...> wrote:

- f

Curt

Bill

cool stuff - I get sometimes we need to turn off the high tech rigs like the ubitx - and go pioneering.  back in those days each transistor might be dreadfully expensive - not to mention the coils and variable capacitor. 

reminds me a few years ago saw my venerable HR20 receiver sitting there, not a mating transmitter in sight.  so inspired by N5IB I integrated a IRF510 with a tuna tin line-up, and applied some xtals collecting dust.  I called it the odd couple - tube Rx with a solid state Tx. 

my nearly stock ubitx purrs along - just a board to clean up its low band CW spurs and a VK3YE inspired AGC - it rocks without rocks.  enjoy your silicon induced radiations.

Curt

Ashhar Farhan

Unfortunately,
I dont have a working ubitx in the shack these days. I pulled out my original build to make it go on 146 mhz. It is lying incomplete.
- f

On Mon 8 Jul, 2019, 7:54 PM Joe Puma, <kd2nfc@...> wrote:

....But then a friend had a trusty uBitx and you worked many DX contacts until the sun set. 

Well that’s how I imagined your email went. Would of made for a great testimony of the uBitx :) 

Joe
Kd2nfc 

Not bad at all! What kind of audio amp did you use? We were at a farm yesterday and I carried a KX3 with a longnwire. It was hopeless. 

- f

MVS Sarma

Many a time it happens , a person who feeds lot if people himself not haing a loaf to eat, lol.  A paradox situation. 

On Tue, 9 Jul 2019, 5:49 am Ashhar Farhan, <farhanbox@...> wrote:
Unfortunately,
I dont have a working ubitx in the shack these days. I pulled out my original build to make it go on 146 mhz. It is lying incomplete.
- f

On Mon 8 Jul, 2019, 7:54 PM Joe Puma, <kd2nfc@...> wrote:

Joe
Kd2nfc 

- f

Curt

good thought OM.  let's appreciate the R&D - someday a uBITX could be ready to QSO through a satellite.  I have not tried since the former Soviet RS satellites that were quite nice for a simple station (and maybe operator ....) to use.  enjoy your radiations! 

73 Curt

ronmhauser@...

Farhan, do you know the idiom in English "The cobbler's children have no shoes."  : )

Very much enjoying my v5 uBitx.

--Ron
K0EIA

KD2QMZ

A competitor is building and testing a similar product based in modules. What input we got on this and as far as any improvements on the foot print of the UBITX?

I do have a case. So, would like to re-use in a newer version, as my V4 doesn't seems to react to VFO adjustments in a way that improves that much.

The kit isn't that expensive, so I can buy a new more up to date UBITX.

Great kit and same for the case.

Thanks for any input.

On Sat, Jul 13, 2019 at 8:20 AM ronmhauser via Groups.Io <ronmhauser=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Farhan, do you know the idiom in English "The cobbler's children have no shoes."  : )

Very much enjoying my v5 uBitx.

--Ron
K0EIA