Topics

Off topic question

Christopher Miller

My appointment complex has solar power. Can I claim that on field day?

Ken Hansen

Is the power you are operating off of 100% solar generated when you are operating? If it is, then as I read the rules, yes.

Ken, N2VIP

On Apr 18, 2020, at 13:13, Christopher Miller <djmalak2k6@...> wrote:

My appointment complex has solar power. Can I claim that on field day?

Christopher Miller

I unfortunately can’t verify the 100%. I could charge a battery beforehand. I have a solar panel if it comes to it.

Ken Hansen

"Technically" the battery has to be charged off an alternative power source, not commercial power mains, to qualify under ARRL rules, but I'm not sure how many people follow that rule and just assume battery power alone is enough.

Personally, I'd lean towards battery-backed solar power from your own panel, since you have everything you'd need, and it is closest to the spirit or intention of Field Day.

Ken, N2VIP

On Apr 18, 2020, at 13:34, Christopher Miller <djmalak2k6@...> wrote:

I unfortunately can’t verify the 100%. I could charge a battery beforehand. I have a solar panel if it comes to it.

Curt

Okay folk outside US and Canada please forgive our discussion,  except that some of you have different Field Day (outdoor portable operating) events.

Go ahead and read the rules, and note the various classes. All but class D must be off grid. Various classes use battery or generator with temporary antennas. For class E one may use home antennas with battery or generator.

I am recalling only a solar bonus for up to maybe 10 contacts. Yes one would presume the battery they mention must be charged off grid. Many residential solar systems are integrated into the grid.

While usually operating with my club, I may be operating 1E battery this year, at maybe just 5 watts using a k2 or other battery friendly rigs.

Stay well and enjoy your radiation

Curt wb8yyy

Christopher Miller

I agree, I have a solar panel and can charge a LiPo I think the last poster is right.

Christopher Miller

I purchased a 12 volt 6AH battery. Like I said I will use my own panel because I cannot promise everything is from the array they have.

Chris

On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 2:34 PM Christopher Miller via groups.io <djmalak2k6=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
I agree, I have a solar panel and can charge a LiPo I think the last poster is right.

Clark Martin

Check the numbers for maximum charging current to the battery and make sure your panel doesn’t exceed it.  A few charge controllers let you set a maximum charge current but most don’t.

Clark Martin
KK6ISP

On Apr 20, 2020, at 7:32 PM, Christopher Miller <djmalak2k6@...> wrote:

I purchased a 12 volt 6AH battery. Like I said I will use my own panel because I cannot promise everything is from the array they have.

Christopher Miller

So, the solar panel I have is pretty small. I will use my volt meter in full AZ sun tomorrow to make sure, but I really think it will take days to charge.

Chris