Topics

No XMIT, No Recv #v6

k7ome@...

My V6 suddenly decided not to transmit or receive.  I did do a frequency and BFO adjustment a few days ago and had it dead on frequency.  It is possible that I may now have wiped out the settings on the EEPROM but nothing I have tried to correct that situation makes any difference.  The factory software is installed. The software operates as it should but there is no power going out and no audio coming in even when I transmit on my Kenwood (from previous tests I know that this should be working). There is no burning electronics smell and no visible damage inside the radio (I have made no hardware mods). The speaker still produces the 'live air' sound but there does seem to be an extra 'whistle' in it.  It is very cold and dry here so maybe a static charge problem?  Is the EEPROM onboard the Nano? I don't see any I can recognize on the main board. I can replace the Nano if you think that might be a solution.

Ideas?

Jerry Gaffke

Try sending CW, do you get any power out?

If not, my best guess is that the Si5351 is not working for some reason.
You can verify this by bringing a shortwave receiver near your uBitx
(or bringing your uBItx over to a friend's shortwave reciever)
and listening for a carrier within 10khz of 11.059 mhz, being radiated from CLK0.
The uBitx can be in receive mode for this test, doesn't matter what frequency it is trying to receive.

CLK0 is the uBitx BFO signal, the 11.059mhz BFO beats with any incoming signal
that makes it through the 11.059mhz crystal filter.

Jerry, KE7ER

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 08:20 PM, <k7ome@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the reply Jerry and I think you're basically correct.  It's working again.  The problem was the calibration value that was stored in the EEPROM (where ever that thing may be).  I was implementing a change to the Setup code that would show the stored value when you went back to Setup.  Somehow - and I still don't see how it happened - the calibration value that got stored at some point included the entire frequency plus the calibration value! That made the calibration way out of range and shut everything down.  Even after reloading the original code the problem persisted because the EEPROM values stayed the same.  Once I had that figured out I forced the EEPROM value back to 875 and the radio started working again.  Now I can re-calibrate and see the stored values when I do.

Well, I guess you have to expect that kind of stuff to happen when you go messing around with the code....

Jerry Gaffke

Glad you found it.

Ideally, all firmware would have sanity checks on critical values stored in firmware,
ignore them if they are out of bounds.
And there should be an easy and obvious menu entry to revert to reasonable default values from flash.

Jerry, KE7ER

On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 07:28 AM, <k7ome@...> wrote:
[...]

That EEPROM thing is inside the ATMega328P processor chip used on the Nano.
    http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/Atmel-7810-Automotive-Microcontrollers-ATmega328P_Datasheet.pdf
It's 512 bytes a of a special kind of memory that that is easy to write to,
but sticks around when power is off.

Jerry

On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 07:28 AM, <k7ome@...> wrote:
The problem was the calibration value that was stored in the EEPROM (where ever that thing may be).

k7ome@...

I agree about the defaulting the EEPROM idea, Jerry.  That's why I put that into the code yesterday.  I made a short demo video of the changes I've made to the software for my ham club and put it on YT.  If you're interested you can see it here:   https://youtu.be/hrWwwUSk6hU         The changes include frequency locking, and organizing two sub menus to get rid of that long pause used to access Setup.  Restoring the calibration values for Freq and BFO makes recalibrating the radio much easier .

Just trying to make it more user friendly ....

Reed N

Solid steps forward! I already had the non-defaulting values for the cals, but the submenuing idea makes a lot of sense. I'll get that added to my master soon :)

Reed