Topics

Nextion Display USB Adapter wiring #ubitx #nextion #ubitxv6

Aaron K5ATG

Hello everyone, I'm looking at the Nextion installation instructions from the ubitx.net site. It instructs to hook a USB Adapter cable to the Nextion to test that it works. It is specific on hooking the +5v and ground connections. My Nextion did not come with a USB adapter so I ordered one. My problem is that the Nextion has the following color coded wires:
Red - +5V
Blue - TX
Yellow - RX
Black - GND
I got these colors from the UBitX V6 Nextion instructions.
The USB Adapter has the following wire colors:
Red
Black
Green
White
The UBITX.Net instructions call to hook up the +5V and the ground to the Nextion screen. On the USB Adapter would the Red wire be +5V and the black wire is Ground?

--
'72
Aaron Scott

barry halterman

Arron, first thing you need to do is down load the nextion display firmware by using a micro SD card that you pre loaded. Once you insert the SD card into the display THEN you connect the red wire to + 5 and the black to ground. Power up the display and the nextion will down load the file. Once that is done, and the display says down load successful,  remove power and remove the SD card. Power up the display and you should see the results.
Barry
K3bo

On Fri, Oct 2, 2020, 8:42 PM Aaron K5ATG via groups.io <k5atg=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Do you have a link to the Nextion display firmware?
I look around and end up finding several files, not sure what file to download to the SD card.
--
'72
Aaron Scott

barry halterman

Arron, try www.hamskey.com there you should find the hmi file for the screen size you have.
Barry

On Fri, Oct 2, 2020, 9:58 PM Aaron K5ATG via groups.io <k5atg=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Do you have a link to the Nextion display firmware?
I look around and end up finding several files, not sure what file to download to the SD card.
--
'72
Aaron Scott
QRPARCI# 16443
GQRP# 16389
4SQRP # 1080

barry halterman

Arron, what size display do you have?

On Fri, Oct 2, 2020, 10:05 PM barry halterman via groups.io <kthreebo=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Arron, try www.hamskey.com there you should find the hmi file for the screen size you have.
Barry

On Fri, Oct 2, 2020, 9:58 PM Aaron K5ATG via groups.io <k5atg=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Do you have a link to the Nextion display firmware?
I look around and end up finding several files, not sure what file to download to the SD card.
--
'72
Aaron Scott
QRPARCI# 16443
GQRP# 16389
4SQRP # 1080

Aaron K5ATG

2.8"
NX3224T028_011
Do you have to go through everything with the Nextion LCD Software?
I could not get it to download.
--
'72
Aaron Scott

barry halterman

Arron I apologise for giving you the wrong info, was late last evening! You need a .TFT file and I said .hmi
Attached is what you need.
Copy this file to a micro SD card and insert it in the nextion display. Once you power up the display the TFT file will down load. Once that is finished you must remove the SD card else everytime you power up the display, it keeps downloading the file.
Barry

On Fri, Oct 2, 2020, 10:55 PM Aaron K5ATG via groups.io <k5atg=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
2.8"
NX3224T028_011
Do you have to go through everything with the Nextion LCD Software?
I could not get it to download.
--
'72
Aaron Scott
QRPARCI# 16443
GQRP# 16389
4SQRP # 1080

Aaron K5ATG

So I need this firmware for the Nextion and I think I heard that I need some firmware from KD8CEC for the Raduino?
--
'72
Aaron Scott

barry halterman

Yes. You will need the proper version for your particular ubitx. I think the latest is cec 1.2.
Barry

On Sun, Oct 4, 2020, 2:34 PM Aaron K5ATG via groups.io <k5atg=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
So I need this firmware for the Nextion and I think I heard that I need some firmware from KD8CEC for the Raduino?
--
'72
Aaron Scott
QRPARCI# 16443
GQRP# 16389
4SQRP # 1080

Evan Hand

Aaron,
Barry is correct, the latest is 1.2 for the KD8CEC firmware.  The best place to get it is on GitHub:
https://github.com/phdlee/ubitx/releases/tag/v1.20

I would also suggest the Memory Manager software that can save, restore, and modify the settings through the USB port on the Raduino Nano.
https://github.com/phdlee/ubitx/releases/tag/v1.11

Good luck and happy modding!
73
Evan
AC9TU

Aaron K5ATG

Wow, this looks like it adds a lot of new features.
My Nextion is giving me a little fit. When I hook up the 5v power and ground wires the Nextion boots up just fine and goes to a production plan screen. When I turn it off and put the SD card in, it will not boot up at all until I take the SD card out. I'm reformatting the card to FAT32 and will try again. If that does not work I will try a different card.
--
'72
Aaron Scott

Evan Hand

Aaron,
Reformating and making sure that only one tft file is in the root directory of the SD card should work.  If it will not read the SD card, then try the SD card formatter:
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

Then copy the tft file to the card and try again.

The Nextion display is finicky about formats and file location.  Also, check the display and see if there are any error messages.

73
Evan
AC9TU

barry halterman

Thanks Evan for pointing Aaron in the proper direction.
Barry

On Sun, Oct 4, 2020, 4:48 PM Evan Hand <elhandjr@...> wrote:
Aaron,
Reformating and making sure that only one tft file is in the root directory of the SD card should work.  If it will not read the SD card, then try the SD card formatter:
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

Then copy the tft file to the card and try again.

The Nextion display is finicky about formats and file location.  Also, check the display and see if there are any error messages.

73
Evan
AC9TU

Jim Sheldon

One other thing for Aaron to realize.  Once the program is installed into the Nextion from the SD card, the SD card MUST be removed from the socket.  Otherwise it will keep trying to install the program.  SD card on a Nextion is NOT for data storage, only for programming and has to be removed after the program update for the display to boot properly.  I've noticed several instances of people forgetting to mention that.

Jim, W0EB

Thanks Evan for pointing Aaron in the proper direction.
Barry

On Sun, Oct 4, 2020, 4:48 PM Evan Hand <elhandjr@...> wrote:
Aaron,
Reformating and making sure that only one tft file is in the root directory of the SD card should work.  If it will not read the SD card, then try the SD card formatter:
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

Then copy the tft file to the card and try again.

The Nextion display is finicky about formats and file location.  Also, check the display and see if there are any error messages.

73
Evan
AC9TU

Evan Hand

Good point Jim.  I will try to remember in the future.

Thank you
73
Evan
AC9TU

Aaron K5ATG

Sorry for the slow updates my friends. I have been sick and some days are good and some are not,
I had a lot of trouble with loading the firmware on the Nextion. I went through something like 10 SD cards and I finally got one to work so now the Nextion is working great. Yes, I did remove the SD card from the Nextion. Now I need to load the firmware to the Raduino then dust off the logbook and work on filling it up.
--
'72
Aaron Scott

Skip Davis

Good going Aaron your persistence paid off, looking forward to your next update as you start to fill up your logbook.

73,
Skip Davis, NC9O

Aaron K5ATG

Hey guys.
I loaded the firmware to the Nextion and it looked to work like it does on Hamskey.com.
I put the uBitX back together with the Nextion and I downloaded the XLoader to install the hex files to the raduino and I am getting no response. The Nextion is not coming on at all, I do receive signals. The says that it has uploaded the hex file and shows the size of the file. I feel like I am missing something but my brain isn't working well lately.
--
'72
Aaron Scott

Rene

Hello Aron, did you in xloader in the settings the right comport??
Regards
Rene

Evan Hand

Aaron,
Did you remove the microSD card from the Nextion?  You only start the Nextion with the microSD card in one time, then remove it.

When you say that it has uploaded the hex file, is that on the PC or the Nextion display?

73
Evan
AC9TU