Topics

Nextion display

Alex Netherton

How hard is it to add on a display like you would find in a V6 to a v5? Or, since I am not very familiar with Arduino or Raspberry Pi, should I just wait til I have the $$ for a V6? (I plan to get one anyway - just too much fun!)
--
Alex Netherton, W5ALX
Buncombe County NC, EM85ro

Curt

Check messages over the past week or so. Ashar provided the simple info to purchase the v6 type display, put a heatsink on raduino regulator, and apply the v6 code. Watch his video carefully to insure you like the display.

Curt

Evan Hand

Alex,

IF (BIG IF) you plan to purchase and then build the v6 uBitx, My recommendation is to go the KD8CEC and Nextion display for your current build.  You will need to purchase, build or modify a case regardless.  I have also read on UBITX20 of efforts to move the v6 to the CEC/Nextion.  This would suggest that the CEC route might live on.

If you do not want two rigs, then the v6 is the future, as the v5 is no longer offered.

Following are my reasons:
1 - The current state of the CEC path is more developed than the v6, with all kids of software and hardware additions to help with CAT, S meter and other features.  I am sure that the v6 will catch up and probably surpass the prior versions,, just not there yet.

2 - The display is more graphical, in that it is not just numbers and letters.

3 - The screen response time of the CEC/Nextion appears to be much faster, at least as far as I can tell from videos of v6, as again, I do not own a v6, however I have 2 CEC/Nextions built (a v4 and a v5).

4 - I really like the MemoryManager for the CEC/Nextion combination.  Allows to quickly get back to a known state when experimenting.

5 - there is CAT control capability as part of the current CEC release.

I would expect that both are about the same level of complexity to upgrade from a stock v5, though on the CEC side you will need to load two devices with firmware (the display has it's own micro controller).

Check out the HamsKey.com and Ubitx.net web pages for more information.

FWIW, the above are my opinions. Others can differ as they will have their own experiences that drive them.

73
Evan
AC9TU

wb2cba@...

Alex,

i modified my V6 with nextion display.the hardware modification is not that hard. I put together a post to explain all. Though you have to peogram your arduino in the kit to make it work.

https://groups.io/g/BITX20/topic/ubitx_v6_nextion_2_8_display/69473862?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,20,2,20,69473862

73
Barb WB2CBA

WB0WQS

Barb, That sounds like a great addition to the V6.  Does it help with the lag in the CW keying?  I love the V6. It is a diamond in the ruff, and am excited about the upcoming mods and improvements.
--WB0WQS.