Topics

New ubitx v6 on the way/construction #bitx20

Kelly Mabry

I have not attempted any adjustments to the radio.
I heard cw at 7052 and 7005.  The audio was weak, had to strain to hear them.

Besides the antenna not being resonant, I noticed some assembly quirks in fastening the lcd to the case. I felt like I had to slightly lift the raduino to make the display holes align with the case.  I was concerned that the pins might not make good contact with the socket.

I downloaded hex files for v1.20 sw from the kd8cec site, but haven't flashed anything yet.

Feels good to be back, but I thought things might start better.

Kelly KD5AJ 

Curt

Kelly

Let's not mod anything until we get this working better. Try headphones for troubleshooting. Use a dvm to confirm you have a good connection from coax center conductor to the board. Also important that the bfo is properly calibrated. Anytime you load in new firmware the calibration is lost.  Yes check integrity of connections.  A poor antenna does reduce things on this rig, but on lower bands you should hear more than 2 signals. 

Curt

Kelly Mabry

Curt, will do and report back!

Kelly KD5AJ 

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 2/21/21 11:04 AM (GMT-06:00)
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BITX20] New ubitx v6 on the way/construction #bitx20

Kelly

Let's not mod anything until we get this working better. Try headphones for troubleshooting. Use a dvm to confirm you have a good connection from coax center conductor to the board. Also important that the bfo is properly calibrated. Anytime you load in new firmware the calibration is lost.  Yes check integrity of connections.  A poor antenna does reduce things on this rig, but on lower bands you should hear more than 2 signals. 

Curt

Kelly Mabry

Report:  audio low on speaker, however, during tests, I used headphones (a lot better). I heard omiss net (ssb 7.185 on frequncy) within .05 kHz. Wwv heard @ 10000 on frequency. W1aw code practice, on freq. And ft8 at 7074.00. So I realized that THIS v6 is dead on, much better than my older v5 that I sold. 

I will try to test audio with powered speakers. Via the headphones jack. I have not done anything yet to any assembled parts.  Nor per formed any continuity tests. So aside from audio. It seems to be aligned. All natural voices and tones.  Big step, same antenna. 

Kelly KD5AJ 

Curt

Kelly

nice progress.  I suggest checking WWV or another AM signal on both LSB and USB - if its exactly the same your BFO is decently aligned (which would be a surprise to me as on older versions this was not aligned by the supplier).  sounds like you have very little to debug, if that is the case enjoy the rig. 

73 Curt

Kelly Mabry

Curt, thanks. I Will check out the antenna connection with a dvm, but overall impressed with Farhan's v6.1. Without measuring, i feel like the noise floor is lower on this version.

I suspect a resonant antenna would be better.  My 80-6 m windom is down at the moment, due to winter weather. 

Thanks for the help!

Kelly KD5AJ 

Justin Bowser - KI5GKD

Kelly,

Fine Business!  My V6 seems to be working well except reports complain about my audio.  I disassembled the BaoFeng mic and drilled out the hole to 1/8" and I get consistently higher modulation (viewed on my ancient Heathkit station monitor) although very small on the scope due to output power.  I have ordered the power mic referenced in a couple of messages and it should be here by the weekend.  Today I checked in to the 20M OMISS net and the 40M OMISS net.  Also had a short QSO with a station in Ohio so I guess it's doing the job.

The 40M OMISS Net Control said it sounded like some RF in my audio so not sure if it's the cheapo mic or the fact that it is cabled together and just laying on the bench with absolutely no shielding.

Justin B.
KI5GKD

Evan Hand

Justin,
I had the same reports when I first put my v4 µBITX on the air.  The RF was from my off-center fed dipole that I fixed by adding some Ferrites to act as a common mode choke.  I also added ferrites on the mic cable.  the last part was to ensure a good ground in the shack.  All of that helped resolve the issues.  

I would agree that you will need to get some shielding around the electronics.  Make sure it has a good ground connection as I stated above

One way to be sure that is the issue is to try the rig with a dummy load and listen to another receiver if you have one.  The dummy load should not have the RF in the shack issue.

Good luck in tracking down the issue.
Evan
AC9TU

Kelly Mabry

Justin, 
Drilling the hole in the mic should help a lot. 

I would use an rf choke to cut down on common mode currents. That would help. A metal case helps also. 

Grats on the contacts!! 

Sounds like we are both on the way to fun! I'm going to test a powered speaker via the front panel. If that works, I will bring audio to the rear via a headphone jack for the powered speaker. 

We have a great group here that helped me a lot with my version 5 that I sold some time back.  Holler if I can help or even for comparing notes!

Kelly KD5AJ 

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 2/22/21 8:36 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BITX20] New ubitx v6 on the way/construction #bitx20

Kelly,

Fine Business!  My V6 seems to be working well except reports complain about my audio.  I disassembled the BaoFeng mic and drilled out the hole to 1/8" and I get consistently higher modulation (viewed on my ancient Heathkit station monitor) although very small on the scope due to output power.  I have ordered the power mic referenced in a couple of messages and it should be here by the weekend.  Today I checked in to the 20M OMISS net and the 40M OMISS net.  Also had a short QSO with a station in Ohio so I guess it's doing the job.

The 40M OMISS Net Control said it sounded like some RF in my audio so not sure if it's the cheapo mic or the fact that it is cabled together and just laying on the bench with absolutely no shielding.

Justin B.
KI5GKD

Justin Bowser - KI5GKD

Kelly,

Yeah,  you are right about a powered speaker as I have found that the stock volume is a bit lacking and if turned all the way up starts either clipping or distorting.

Justin
KI5GKD