Topics

New Teensy 4.0 to NANO direct plug in adapter #ubitx #v6

Jim Sheldon

TSW (the Triumvirate Skonk Worx of W0EB, W2CTX and N5IB) are pleased to announce the immediate availability of an inexpensive plug-in adapter that will allow a PJRC.com Teensy 4.0 with a 600 MHz processor and lots of flash program memory to directly replace the NANO in a V6 uBITX Raduino!

We also have available (open source) software for same Teensy 4.0 that runs and looks almost exactly like the original factory V6 software except it's many times faster and with lots of program space, has a few extra niceties built in.

The adapter kit is available now, and details on how to purchase one can be found on the TSW website - www.w0eb.com .  The software is also available in the "uBITX files directory via the link near the top of the page on the TSW website.

I have one running extremely well on an actual Version 6 uBITX (basic kit) that I received a day before Christmas.

I built it up using a 3D printed front panel & base I designed using the factory supplied acrylic front panel template for dimensions.

One nice thing about using the Teensy 4 instead of the NANO aside from the display speed is that it eliminates many of the birdies associated with the various oscillators on the NANO board and I can detect NO tuning clicks when the encoder is turned.

The only drawback is with the 3.3V max input levels for the Teensy 4.0, the Factory's keyer code had to be abandoned, R2 had to be removed and the trace that goes from input pin A6 to the NANO and the "KEYER" pin on the 18 pin right angle connector must be cut to use the adapter with a V6 Raduino.  If this isn't done, +5V gets applied to the A6 input pin on the Teensy and will destroy the ADC in the Teensy.  We tried applying 3.3V to the Vcc side of R2 but the voltage divider outputs weren't read reliably by the Teensy's ADC and the keyer didn't work well at all.  We re-wrote the keyer to use the A6 and A7(spare) inputs with A6 being the DOT input and A7 being the DASH input.  This also requires a separate jack for the paddles but makes the keyer really sing if the mods are done.

TSW also plans our own Raduino Clone for the V6 that will have pluggable jumpers to cover removing the voltages and will operate exactly as a Factory Raduino using a NANO or by setting the jumpers work with the Teensy 4/adapter in place of the nano without cutting any traces or removing R2.  This will be available as soon as the PC boards get here and are tested, possibly next week sometime.  It's dimensions will be such that with the 2.8" ILI9341 TFT display mounted, it will directly replace a Factory Raduino.  It will be offered only as a kit but the kit price will be reasonable.  With the kit, the display and Teensy will not be supplied as they are readily available via PJRC and other suppliers.

Jim, W0EB
TSW Project Coordinator

We also plan on another Raduino Clone that will

Skip Davis

Jim I tried to see the adapter board manual and the link returned the dreaded 404 message, you might check it at your end.

Skip Davis, NC9O

On Jan 6, 2020, at 19:50, Jim Sheldon <w0eb@...> wrote:

[...]

OOps, somehow I missed getting that manual in the website's main directory as well as in the documentation directory so all browsers could find it.  Should be there now, but just in case here it attached as a PDF file for you Skip.

sorry about that,

Jim - W0EB

[...]

Kees T

Good job TSW Gang. This may be applicable to other Nano projects.

73 Kees K5BCQ

wb2cba@...

I found this on amazon. It looks like it is pin compatible with arduino nano. I wonder if this can be used to replace nano with arm processor alternative.

RobotDyn - SAMD21 M0-Mini 32-bit ARM Cortex M0 Core Compatible with Arduino M0 Form Mini and Pinhead soldered- Arduino m0 pro Compatible SAMD21 M0-Mini 32-bit ARM Cortex M0 core (Pinheaders Soldered) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071PF1JWL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Y0kfEbG7M8AVF

73

Barb WB2CBA

Evan Hand

Jim,

I could not find an order link on the web page.  How do I purchase one?  I have ordered your Raduino clone in the past.

73
Evan
AC9TU

Jerry Gaffke

The RobotDyn SAMD21 board looks similar, but is not a Nano plug in replacement.

For starters, there are 14 pins on each side vs 15 on the Nano.
The Raduino uses all available Nano pins, so the RobotDyn board will be short two.

The pin functions printed on the silkscreen show no attempt at compatible pin ordering
between the RobotDyn and the Nano.

It is a 3.3v processor vs 5.0v for the Nano.
Not a deal breaker but could require a few adjustments to be made.

Jerry, KE7ER

On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 08:12 AM, <wb2cba@...> wrote:
I found this on amazon. It looks like it is pin compatible with arduino nano. I wonder if this can be used to replace nano with arm processor alternative.

RobotDyn - SAMD21 M0-Mini 32-bit ARM Cortex M0 Core Compatible with Arduino M0 Form Mini and Pinhead soldered- Arduino m0 pro Compatible SAMD21 M0-Mini 32-bit ARM Cortex M0 core (Pinheaders Soldered) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071PF1JWL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Y0kfEbG7M8AVF

73

Barb WB2CBA

Jim Sheldon

Evan,
My webpage's host (private server) has requested I NOT put a PayPal link on the page - he is feuding with them.

You can order by sending the listed fee via PayPal to w0eb@...

Jim, W0EB

I could not find an order link on the web page.  How do I purchase one?  I have ordered your Raduino clone in the past.

73
Evan
AC9TU

Jim Sheldon

Thanks Kees,
The only drawback we've found is that you can only use 3.3V compatible I/O as the Teensy 4's input/output pins are NOT 5 volt tolerant.  Bear that in mind when using it.  We spell that out explicitly in all our documentation.

Jim, W0EB

Good job TSW Gang. This may be applicable to other Nano projects.

73 Kees K5BCQ

Jack, W8TEE

The thing that made me nervous about it was they didn't say it was compatible with the Arduino IDE or its libraries.  If it was compatible, they would have said that.

Jack, W8TEE

--
Jack, W8TEE

Jim Sheldon

Hi Evan,
My webpage is hosted for free on a private server and the host has asked I not put any PayPal links on the page for whatever reason.

You can still order via PayPal by emailing me your request and my PayPal address is w0eb@....

Full kit $10 postpaid.

Jim - W0EB

From: "Jim Sheldon" <w0eb@...>
Date: Wed, January 08, 2020 6:34 am
To: BITX20@groups.io

[...]

Yes, you would have to drill a hole for the 2nd paddle jack.  But you didn't pay attention to what you read. I stated "NO hardware mods are needed to the V6  RADUINO" I said nothing about the case.

Jim

[...]

Bill

Really don't even have to modify the case.  Just run wires out the top (or bottom) slots and sticky-tape or hot-snot (glue) a jack to the top or side of the case. =-)

Great work and mod, Jim.

 - Bill  KB3T

On 2020-01-08 13:48, Jim Sheldon wrote:

Yes, you would have to drill a hole for the 2nd paddle jack.  But you didn't pay attention to what you read. I stated "NO hardware mods are needed to the V6  RADUINO" I said nothing about the case.

Jim

Kees T

Jim,

It's pretty simple to build level converters using 2 resistors and a 2N7000. No problem.

73 Kees K5BCQ

Jim Sheldon

Don’t need them.  Problem has been solved and as I’ve stated in several posts lately, NO hardware mods are needed to use the current adapter with a Factory V6 Raduino.

W0EB