Topics

My son's V6 and other received birdies

Bob Lunsford

Just got a message from my son in Sacramento, CA re the birdies he received all over the place, even in his IC-730. This is to alert the group that when we get QRM in our radios, it may not be what we think it is at first so we need to keep an open mind when trying to chase down the source of such QRN.

Here is what he said:

My noise was coming from battery charger in garage. I’ll try to put beads on it to see if I can still use it. I’ll get out uBITX this weekend and check receive.

Bob — KK5R

Trystan G0KAY

Bob,

Why doesn't your son post his questions instead of you doing it for him?

Trystan
G0KAY

Bob Lunsford

First, he is not in this forum. I only posted his situation here to bring up subject.

I and others may want to know what could be a problem for any of us at some time.

I posted the last one because it puts the question to rest, for anyone who might wonder what happened.

It may never happen again...

Bob — KK5R

On Wednesday, November 25, 2020, 5:34:14 AM EST, Trystan G0KAY <trystandavies+nodirect@...> wrote:

Bob,

Why doesn't your son post his questions instead of you doing it for him?

Trystan
G0KAY

Gary Rindfuss

You wanna see birdies and noise try some of the cheap Chinese wireless cell phone chargers. They are like Russian jamming stations or something.

Here is what he said:

My noise was coming from battery charger in garage. I’ll try to put beads on it to see if I can still use it. I’ll get out uBITX this weekend and check receive.

Bob — KK5R

_Dave_ AD0B

For a simple solution, google " common mode current w1his". You can reduce shack rf noise by 10dB. Stuff that you thought was atmospheric noise is coming from your qth.

Dave
ADOB
Raduino bracket and Ham_Made_Keys

Arv Evans

More likely the birdies are from a DSL modem, USB hub, PC, or WiFi hub.

Wall-wart chargers are mostly all the same, whether Chinese, Korean,
Taiwanese, Phillipino, German, India, South Africa, Pakistani, Taiwan, or
US made products.  What can be done differently with a transformer, 2 diodes
and a capacitor.  Even if American made they all seem to use Chinese made
components.

Arv
_._

Here is what he said:

My noise was coming from battery charger in garage. I’ll try to put beads on it to see if I can still use it. I’ll get out uBITX this weekend and check receive.

Bob — KK5R

Gary Rindfuss

Well the android wireless chargers i bought online could be heard on a portable sw radio at the limits of my one acre yard. I would guess that the coil of wire that must be in their to induce a wireless charge in the c phone is a great antenna. And there is more than a transformer and diode in there.  Sounds like a switching power supply

Here is what he said:

My noise was coming from battery charger in garage. I’ll try to put beads on it to see if I can still use it. I’ll get out uBITX this weekend and check receive.

Bob — KK5R

Jerry Gaffke

The 20+ year old wall warts are a 60hz transformer, diodes and a cap.
Modern wall warts are switching power supplies with all that power
at some point in the form of a square wave at 100+ khz, sometimes a few mhz.
And if not done exactly right, they radiate like mad.

If you pick it up and it doesn't feel like it's mostly transformer iron,
it does not have a 60hz transformer in it.

Jerry, KE7ER

On Wed, Nov 25, 2020 at 11:42 AM, Arv Evans wrote:
More likely the birdies are from a DSL modem, USB hub, PC, or WiFi hub.

Wall-wart chargers are mostly all the same, whether Chinese, Korean,
Taiwanese, Phillipino, German, India, South Africa, Pakistani, Taiwan, or
US made products.  What can be done differently with a transformer, 2 diodes
and a capacitor.  Even if American made they all seem to use Chinese made
components.

Arv
_._

Bob Lunsford

I had one of the early style LED replacement lamps, you know...the ones that promised to last for a billion hours but six months later they suddenly went dark, and it caused some really weird hash on my radios. Was easy to find, though, turning it to Off and voila...the noise went away. When I found it was the source of the noise, it also went away. Ha

More recent designs seem to be quiet, for me anyway. but the switching power supply in today's lamps appear to not have this problem.

Bob — KK5R

Here is what he said:

My noise was coming from battery charger in garage. I’ll try to put beads on it to see if I can still use it. I’ll get out uBITX this weekend and check receive.

Bob — KK5R

Bob Lunsford

I find that many latter-day chargers, even wall-warts, are not the old traditional transformer, rectifier, filter cap type chargers. Many more these days have the rectifier, power oscillator, up/down transformer, rectifier with voltage feedback to oscillator to present a constant voltage on the output. The oscillator may be dirty, dirty, dirty and rich in harmonics but such are found less these days. With the power supplies on our benches, if they are computer style with the rectifier, oscillator driving a transformer that has the output rectified and filtered with feedback to control the oscillator, then they are relatively clean ... so why are they so nice to have versus the old two-man-lift power supplies in the past? Because of the two-man-life factor: The solid state power supplies with their lighter transformers can save the buyer a LOT of shipping charges. For example, a 50 Amp power supply with the old/classic big transformer is indeed a two man lift and shipping charges to go along with it while the smaller 12V 50A computer power supply is easily carried off in one hand and relative cheap to ship.

If the designer of the solid state power supply had electronic communications in mind when he designed it, then he would know to make the output clean and their is no problem for users of communications radios. In the rare occasion where it is for a battery charger in the garage and not for communications equipment, the designer may have found a way to save a dollar or two and when producing a battery charger with a well-known manufacturer's name on the charger, the savings can be significant when thousands of chargers are made.

Bob — KK5R

Here is what he said:

My noise was coming from battery charger in garage. I’ll try to put beads on it to see if I can still use it. I’ll get out uBITX this weekend and check receive.

Bob — KK5R

Jonas Sanamon

@ Trystan, This isn't a courtroom, hearsay is allowed here :-)

@ Bob, thanks for informing us of the solution, I think all discussed problems should have their solutions communicated as it might help someone else. I usually find Your postings interesting.

73 de Jonas - SM4VEY

Hälsningar, Jonas

Den ons 25 nov. 2020 kl 16:39 skrev Bob Lunsford via groups.io <nocrud222=yahoo.com@groups.io>:

I posted the last one because it puts the question to rest, for anyone who might wonder what happened.

It may never happen again...

Bob — KK5R

On Wednesday, November 25, 2020, 5:34:14 AM EST, Trystan G0KAY <trystandavies+nodirect@...> wrote:

Bob,

Why doesn't your son post his questions instead of you doing it for him?

Trystan
G0KAY
_._,_._

Trystan G0KAY

Bob,

It would be a great thing if your son joined this forum then, and he can get help directly.

Trystan
G0KAY

Bob Lunsford

Ham radio is his hobby. He has a bit to go before uBITX is his hobby. He only has one or two days a month to dedicate to the hobby. It would be of little benefit for him at this time for him or for this forum if he were to join. I will minimize input to the forum in this regard.

Bob — KK5R