Topics

Microphone capsule Manufacturer #v3

joewysochanski@...

Does anyone know the manufacturer and part number of the electret microphone that shipped in the V3 kits?
I've searched and haven't been able to find it.
73
KB3OYF

Ashhar Farhan

On Sat, May 16, 2020 at 10:40 AM <joewysochanski@...> wrote:
Does anyone know the manufacturer and part number of the electret microphone that shipped in the V3 kits?
I've searched and haven't been able to find it.
73
KB3OYF

Bob Fischer, Fischer Technical Services

In light of the recent discussions about microphone elements, I want to share this experience:

I have built 4 "Version 3" transceivers and 4 microphones using the electret elements supplied with the kits.
I increased gain of all four mic amps using one of the mods on the hfsignals website.  Changed R63 to 10 Ohms and R65 to 4.7k Ohms.
Audio reports have been good.  I have been happy.

A recent post recommended the Digi-Key #668-1596-ND element with a reported sensitivity of -24dB.  It is manufactured by PUI Audio.  The PUI ID is AOM-5024L-HD-R.  That seemed like it might deliver more output than the stock element, with unknown specs.  I ordered a couple of them.

I dropped the first one into an old Radio Shack microphone and recorded these results:
                                                                   ORIGINAL KIT ELEMENT         Digi-Key #668-1596-ND
40 SSB OUTPUT to DUMMY LOAD                  19 Watts                                      21 Watts

Input to both microphones was an extended Hellooowww doing my best to keep inputs equal.
The PUI element delivers more output for me.  Individual mileages may vary.

Bob
WB8BEL

Does anyone know the manufacturer and part number of the electret microphone that shipped in the V3 kits?
I've searched and haven't been able to find it.
73
KB3OYF

Dale Parfitt

Hi Bob,

The increase in output from 19 to 21 watts is 0.4dB- never to be noticed on the air. And one has to speculate how much the distortion increased- maybe 0.4dB?

Dale W4OP

Does anyone know the manufacturer and part number of the electret microphone that shipped in the V3 kits?
I've searched and haven't been able to find it.
73
KB3OYF

joewysochanski@...

Thank You all for the input.

I have very good luck with JLI elements. I have used this one on both uBitx and Bitx40's in the past.

https://www.jlielectronics.com/microphones/com-mic-jli-52b/

They make a number of other elements that may also work in 1-2$ range.

David

 N8DAH
Kit-Projects.com

Shop is open!