Topics

mbitx V5 versus V6

pd0zz@...

Hello to All,

I'm rather confused. Just bought the V5 version, got it up and running, including the software-change. Then the V6 started to be offered.

And suddenly the V6, which is far more expensive than the V5, seems to be the only version mentioned (but not sold!) through Farhans webshop... Confusion...First the BitX40 is not offered anymore (which is a bit of a shame, because our team of jota-amateurs wanted to buy a few sets for fresh junior-jota-amateurs) And now the cheaper mBitX V5 is also on the verge of being extinct?

In the links on the emaillist the V5 appears still on sale and available, but the V6 (NOT for sale here!) is the only one promoted in the MENU-list on Farhams website.

Link to V5 ($129 USD) : https://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/ubitx/
Link to V6 (not for sale through Farhans site) : https://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/ubitx-v6/

My question to Farham: Will the V5 be taken off the sale list, as happened to the bitx40?

Thanks for your answers,
With regards, Martin, PD0ZZ from the Netherlands

Alan de G1FXB

Martin,

The version 6 is current and for sale through the HF Signals site.
Farhan has advised delays may occur in dispatch of current orders as the workers were working a full speed in order to fulfil dispatches before in time for our christmas holiday period.
the assembly team are currently on a well earned rest in while they prepare the next batch.
there are the two pricing options shown each taking you to their own order page.

UBITX V6 – BUY THE BASIC KIT
http://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/ubitx-v6-buy-the-basic-kit/

UBITX V6 – BUY THE FULL KIT
http://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/ubitx-v6-buy-the-full-kit/

I would guess the minimal sales of the bitx40 compared to the ubitx, made the down time and reorganisation required for the assembly for the product un sustainable.
I believe Sunil(?) has advised the group of his intention to update his through hole kits, this could be an alternative learning tool for your JOTA students

Alan

--
Smell Czech corruptions are inevitable

Dave Dixon

So if they were rushed Thats why theres so much damage and missing parts to my v6, theres a 7 mm scratch in middle of the tft screen thers a badly bent on/off volume control..missing screws which hold the TFT to the front panel missing bnc nut.Theres a 100 mm deep scratch on let hand side of case which goes right through to the metal.theres paint chipped off on the corners of the case.I have emailed hf sigs but have had no reply,I am disgusted with this,im an old age pensioner and $199 is alot of money to me and for $199 for damaged goods this is just not good enough.All this was down to NO PACKING AROUND THE RADIO AT ALL AND ALSO NO PACKING INSIDE THE TFT screen was left to bang around inside The radio was just shoved into a cardboard box.I have sent the compliant to hf sigs via my email address daveg0ayd@......    Dave G0AYD...

On Mon, 6 Jan 2020 at 11:22, Alan de G1FXB <g1fxb.groups@...> wrote:
[...]

Steve Sawicki

Dave,
Do not hold your Breath as you may turn a bit Blue.
The "Early Adopters"  like usual got the shaft by Hf Signals, my $209 DHL Express  package had no Bubble wrap on any item if it was not for the DHL sturdy plastic bag the cheap cardboard box that contained the "kit" would have been all over the shipping world, I looked at my original 40 meter BTX and the box was 100% sturdier and that went via India Post. And we only have V5 with a low slow color display that may not be salvageable
The Shock to me was  to  after find out after payment that the Firmware right out of the box has a bug dealing with 17 meters that requires a new load that I was not set up to perform .Disappointed at the Shoddy Packaging and Shipping protection..
I guess it was my mistake and assumption that a V6 radio would have all of the corrections of all of the previous versions but in reality is just a attempt by HF Signals to capture revenue before before the new year and getting a V5 board  cleared out and calling it a V6.
I guess with the add-ons of the ALC and other ones to come after full discovering  the China clones of the little  DSP  color screen "KX3" like  radio  are looking much better in the long run.
Best Regards.
Steve
AB2ET/4

Dave Dixon

Hello Steve,
                    How can these people get away with it,i shall certainly make my feelings known about these people,that issue bodged up radios to con us europeans.My friend in the uk has similar problems with his v6,are we going to to get our money back for shoddy workmanship i dont think so,this is the last time i buy from these lot?.if they were in the the uk i would take them to court i sent them photos of the damage to the radio ITS DISGUSTING I just hope that my email warns other prospective buyers away unless they sort there crap out..So disappointed i have supported them since Version 3 but ive learnt my lesson what a load of rubbish so much wrong and missing componants and also lack of wrapping to preserve my purchase...Dave.. G0AYD..

On Mon, 6 Jan 2020 at 22:06, Steve Sawicki via Groups.Io <ab2et=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Curt

Good grief!  Okay maybe this cartoon wasn't imported everywhere (Charlie Brown).

v5 is a very nice rig - its a v4 without the bugs I am dealing with.  enjoy the v5.  honestly I appreciate the work that went into my v4.  and the upgrades are part of the journey.

building a board and shipping it worldwide is a big effort.  do the math it can't be a huge money maker.  appreciate we are invited into the build opportunity.

I won't write off any real quality control matters - do politely work those.  HFSignals does not have a huge complex, nor any storefront at all.  if you prefer that kind of business - they are out there.

meanwhile with every QSO I make, this ubitx rocks!  and I enjoy improving it - and having it 'my way' (which is functional and rather basic) - while others are having a blast making theirs exotic.  and we can trust some hams around the world are getting a rig when other options are beyond their means - particularly many youth is the world.

enjoy your radiations!

Curt

Philip

Mine turned up with damage. The volume pot broken off the the board, marks on the touch screen, and damage to the corners of the case. Also chipped paint work.
Philip G7JUR

Ashhar Farhan

Phillip,
We have discovered that the Indian customs have opened quite a few of our boxes and packed them back badly. HF Signals is committed to replacing all of them. Write to hfsignals@... with pictures.
- f

On Wed 8 Jan, 2020, 2:52 AM Philip, <philip.g7jur@...> wrote:
Mine turned up with damage. The volume pot broken off the the board, marks on the touch screen, and damage to the corners of the case. Also chipped paint work.
Philip G7JUR

Gordon Gibby

Aaargh.

On Jan 7, 2020, at 21:33, Ashhar Farhan <farhanbox@...> wrote:

Phillip,
We have discovered that the Indian customs have opened quite a few of our boxes and packed them back badly. HF Signals is committed to replacing all of them. Write to hfsignals@... with pictures.
- f

On Wed 8 Jan, 2020, 2:52 AM Philip, <philip.g7jur@...> wrote:
Mine turned up with damage. The volume pot broken off the the board, marks on the touch screen, and damage to the corners of the case. Also chipped paint work.
Philip G7JUR

Gordon Gibby

If Customs is where the problem is occurring, hopefully the hfsignals people can work out a solution, but it isn't appropriate to be castigating them for something that a governmental authority may have caused.

On Wed, Jan 8, 2020 at 5:01 AM Gordon Gibby via Groups.Io <docvacuumtubes=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Aaargh.

On Jan 7, 2020, at 21:33, Ashhar Farhan <farhanbox@...> wrote:

Phillip,
We have discovered that the Indian customs have opened quite a few of our boxes and packed them back badly. HF Signals is committed to replacing all of them. Write to hfsignals@... with pictures.
- f

On Wed 8 Jan, 2020, 2:52 AM Philip, <philip.g7jur@...> wrote:
Mine turned up with damage. The volume pot broken off the the board, marks on the touch screen, and damage to the corners of the case. Also chipped paint work.
Philip G7JUR

Mick

Good news,
I ordered my v6 on Dec21st and received it Jan 3rd. It was Packed well and no damage. I spent about 3 hours building it (I used the front plate template, no case yet) and installing a MFJ 1984 end fed antenna. So far I have listened to several conversations from USA and Europe! My QTH is Sarnia Ontario Canada. This my first HF rig and I like it so far.
As for changes I’ll probably try Reed’s screen speed improvement and the Beofeng mic upgrade ( I’ve already made this change to my u/vhf beofeng mic).
First though I want to confirm with some QSO’s that the rig is transmitting.
I do hear AM radio in the background so Im looking through the threads that talk about filtering out the noise.

Ashhar, I want to say thanks for this Rig and let you know not all shipments are bad!

And hind sight being 20/20 I wish I had ordered the V6 with case.

73
Mick
VA3EPM

On Jan 7, 2020, at 9:33 PM, Ashhar Farhan <farhanbox@...> wrote:

Phillip,
We have discovered that the Indian customs have opened quite a few of our boxes and packed them back badly. HF Signals is committed to replacing all of them. Write to hfsignals@... with pictures.
- f

On Wed 8 Jan, 2020, 2:52 AM Philip, <philip.g7jur@...> wrote:
Mine turned up with damage. The volume pot broken off the the board, marks on the touch screen, and damage to the corners of the case. Also chipped paint work.
Philip G7JUR

Steve Sawicki

Gordon,
I do not think that the India Post individuals would be unpacking  and then repacking ALL of the "kits" checking for What?
I am sure that with all of the radios that Hf Signals shipped over the years India Post  would be familiar and good with the routine.
When I ordered my "Full kit" I selected the DHL option,when DHL delivered I made a GOOD examination of the "Envelope" and did not see any "damage" I did notice a packing pressure that one can expect when similar packages are squishes together.
On opening I was surprised on the thins cardboard packing box which showed numerous creases  and the lack of (minimal) protection of the internal countenance, as I indicated I previously I had to straighten (square up) the back panel.
It is my belief that if I was to not pick the DHL option which provided a bit more "protection" of the countenance by the carrier the flimsy packing would be all over the world.
I should have taken pictures and then compared to  the 100% sturdier  "repurposed" cardboard box of  my 2016 BTX ,that I still have with my cookie tin original.
Enough of this, yes this has been a disappointment and hopefully a learning lesson for all .
Best Regard.
Steve
AB2ET/4    .

pd0zz@...

Thanks for hi-jacking my topic with a question for Farhan, which still is unanswered...

My topic was about the availability of mbitx V5, possible V5 not being available in the future, as was the bitx40. Underlying question is why the V6 (not the goal of Farhan, which should be a $100 allband transceiver) is priced that high, it is still a price-rise of 25% in comparision to the V5. And why is the goal, a $100 transceiver, abandoned?

So Farhan, will the V5 still be available in the future at that price? And why is the goal, a $100 transceiver, abandoned?

Thanks for your reply, Farhan. By the way, Thanks for your initiative to produce such a lovely small and good working transceiver!

With regards, Martin (PD0ZZ)

Philip

Hi Farham.
I have replaced the volume pot. i have tried to make good of the damaged case. everything is now working.
But damaged paintwork could only be done by reopening the packing. As for the damaged case they must of played football with it.
So pictures would be of use now.

Philip G7JUR