Topics

manhattan style pads

nd8i <bruceraymond@...>

I've been using ugly-style construction,
which has worked quite well. I've noticed
a bunch of constructors have used Manhattan-
style construction. Not being willing to
leave well enough alone, I want to give it
a try.

Where do people get the pads? Or how does
one make them from blank pcb material? I
suspect that trying to punch them out of
pcb material is a pretty slow and tedious
process, so I suspect there must be a better
alternative.

tia,
Bruce

Mark Jones <Mark@...>

Bruce

I bought a "Copper island Construction Kit" but they ceased trading a while ago, I found someone (and I can't remember who or find the e-mails) that sent me some replacement (re-stock) pads via the GQRP reflector. I just paid the postage - a great deal and very helpful, he said that a friend of his was able to make them at work.

Sorry I can't help more - I thought about making some but it was just to tricky.

Mark. G0MGX

I've been using ugly-style construction,
which has worked quite well.  I've noticed
a bunch of constructors have used Manhattan-
style construction.  Not being willing to
leave well enough alone, I want to give it
a try.

Where do people get the pads?  Or how does
one make them from blank pcb material?  I
suspect that trying to punch them out of
pcb material is a pretty slow and tedious
process, so I suspect there must be a better
alternative.

tia,
Bruce

Hans Summers <Hans.Summers@...>

Mark, Bruce et al

I don't think the difference between "ugly" and "Manhatten" methods is all
that much.

My method is a bit of a hybrid I suppose. Mostly ugly. But if I find a point
needs to be better anchored I sometimes use a 10M resistor to ground (ok for
low impedance signal points) or a .22uF capacitor to ground (ok for dc
voltage points).

Sometimes I find I want pads. I mounted all the BITX20 inductors and
trifilar transformers on pads. But not nice circular pads like in the copper
island construction kit. I just find scraps of PCB stock and cut them up
into rough squares approximately 5mm x 5mm with a wire cutter. They're ugly
but it works and takes literally seconds.

73 Hans G0UPL
http://www.hanssummers.com

I've been using ugly-style construction,
which has worked quite well. I've noticed
a bunch of constructors have used Manhattan-
style construction. Not being willing to
leave well enough alone, I want to give it
a try.

Where do people get the pads? Or how does
one make them from blank pcb material? I
suspect that trying to punch them out of
pcb material is a pretty slow and tedious
process, so I suspect there must be a better
alternative.

tia,
Bruce

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here

_____

Yahoo! Groups Links

Bruce Raymond <bruceraymond@...>

Mark & Hans,

Many thanks for your replies.  Small rectangular pads should work just
fine, and those I can come up with - I don't know why it didn't occur to
me.

Thanks for your help,
Bruce/nd8i

I don't think the difference between "ugly" and "Manhatten" methods is all
that much.

My method is a bit of a hybrid I suppose. Mostly ugly. But if I find a point
needs to be better anchored I sometimes use a 10M resistor to ground (ok for
low impedance signal points) or a .22uF capacitor to ground (ok for dc
voltage points).

Sometimes I find I want pads. I mounted all the BITX20 inductors and
trifilar transformers on pads. But not nice circular pads like in the copper
island construction kit. I just find scraps of PCB stock and cut them up
into rough squares approximately 5mm x 5mm with a wire cutter. They're ugly
but it works and takes literally seconds.

73 Hans G0UPL
http://www.hanssummers.com

Wes Hayward <w7zoi@...>

Hi All,

Actually, I think that the Manhattan in the QRP construction method really refers to the use of straight wires on a 90 degree grid.   At least that is where the term originated.     Typical integrated circuits use a layout that follows a Manhattan format.  A recent reference is John Baliga, "Chips Go Vertical," IEEE Spectrum, March, 2004, pp43-47.

I agree with Hans -- I have really seen no difference between construction on a ground plane when using pads and building without them, other than building without is faster.      There is rarely a need to go as high as 10M with the resistors if you don't have them around.   Something much smaller values will work just as well.

My son and I picked the term "ugly" on our 1981 QST paper "The Ugly Weekender" for a specific reason:   We wanted to emphasize that there is no relationship between circuit performance and the "pretty" nature of the construction, including that on a printed board.   In this case, it is the use of extensive ground plane that makes the circuitry work well.

73, Wes
W7ZOI

I've been using ugly-style construction,
which has worked quite well.  I've noticed
a bunch of constructors have used Manhattan-
style construction.  Not being willing to
leave well enough alone, I want to give it
a try.

Where do people get the pads?  Or how does
one make them from blank pcb material?  I
suspect that trying to punch them out of
pcb material is a pretty slow and tedious
process, so I suspect there must be a better
alternative.

tia,
Bruce

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here

  _____

Yahoo! Groups Links

*      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

Hans Summers <Hans.Summers@...>

> I agree with Hans -- I have really seen no difference between
> construction on a ground plane when using pads and building
> without them, other than building without is faster.
> There is rarely a need to go as high as 10M with the
> resistors if you don't have them around.   Something
> much smaller values will work just as well.

Yes, true - I found that Rapid Electronics sell a very useful resistor variety pack containing 1000 resistors in 63 values from 4.7ohms to 10M. The number of each varies from 5 to 30 depending how common they think they are. E.g. they have 30x 10K, 100K etc, and only 5x 830K. Price is £9.75. I just *KNOW* I probably won't want the 10M and they've put 20 of them in. Thought I'd start at the top and work my way down through 6M8, etc.

72/3 de Hans G0UPL
http://www.HansSummers.com